X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wuapinmon
    replied
    Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    The can IS cool. Almost worth the price tag.

wuap--I've never seen it in our local grocery stores bulk food sections. I'll look a little closer but I think I would have noticed it. We don't have a Whole Foods anywhere close. So the evil empire it is.

Oh and Gidg...here's how I cook it--toast the oats in a little butter in a big pot for a few mins while I'm waiting for the water (I use 3:1 ratio here, but I like them drier) to boil. Add the boiling water to the pot and simmer for about 30 mins. Add 1/2 cup milk and simmer another 5-10 mins. Make a whole bunch and keep it in the fridge. I got this idea from Alton Brown--I'm sure you can google it and find the same thing. Another way that's not quite as good but works if you're not a morning person is to throw the water and oats in a crock pot (3.5:1) overnight. Good hot oatmeal in the morning. I've also added apples and cinnamon and brown sugar to this overnight and it's good.
    I have tried it as the McCann's can suggests with fresh buttermilk....it's excellent. Also, Kerrygold butter as the fat of choice is delicious and in-keeping with its Irish roots.

Leave a comment:

• ERCougar
    replied
    Originally posted by Gidget View Post
    Hey ER thanks for the steel cut oats suggestion. I just picked up some McCann's at WalMart tonight, and I am excited to try it tomorrow morning. It comes in a cool looking canister too.
    The can IS cool. Almost worth the price tag.

wuap--I've never seen it in our local grocery stores bulk food sections. I'll look a little closer but I think I would have noticed it. We don't have a Whole Foods anywhere close. So the evil empire it is.

Oh and Gidg...here's how I cook it--toast the oats in a little butter in a big pot for a few mins while I'm waiting for the water (I use 3:1 ratio here, but I like them drier) to boil. Add the boiling water to the pot and simmer for about 30 mins. Add 1/2 cup milk and simmer another 5-10 mins. Make a whole bunch and keep it in the fridge. I got this idea from Alton Brown--I'm sure you can google it and find the same thing. Another way that's not quite as good but works if you're not a morning person is to throw the water and oats in a crock pot (3.5:1) overnight. Good hot oatmeal in the morning. I've also added apples and cinnamon and brown sugar to this overnight and it's good.
    Last edited by ERCougar; 06-13-2009, 09:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wuapinmon
    replied
    You can usually get steel-cut oats for around a dollar a pound at any grocery store with a decent dry bulk section....it's even cheap at Whole Foods compared the McCann's can.

Leave a comment:

• Gidget
    replied
    Hey ER thanks for the steel cut oats suggestion. I just picked up some McCann's at WalMart tonight, and I am excited to try it tomorrow morning. It comes in a cool looking canister too.

Leave a comment:

• wuapinmon
    replied
    Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
    I'm sorry your grandma died.
    I should probably get off here and go mourn.....I just want to get shitfaced right now....but I'm not going to do it. Making dick jokes is all I've got at the moment.

Maybe I should fire up Call of Duty and go kill some people.

Leave a comment:

• beelzebabette
    replied
    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    A 'fetish' for unripe bananas...
    I'm sorry your grandma died.

Leave a comment:

• wuapinmon
    replied
    Originally posted by creekster View Post
    I love spotted/brown bananas. THey are so much better when they are ripe. No one likes unripe apples, when did the fetsih for unripe bananas come into vogue?
    A 'fetish' for unripe bananas probably started the first time someone was home alone.

Leave a comment:

• happyone
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
    I read somewhere that not eating breakfast increases your chanced of developing diabetes...just FYI.
    That must be the reason I got diabetes. I rarely ate breakfast before I was diagnosed.

Leave a comment:

• bluegoose
    replied
    I have yet to meet a bowl of cereal that I don't like. I could eat it two meals a day no problem. I would say three meals a day, but I've got to make room in my diet for a PB and J somewhere.

My only exception off the top of my head is that Kashi crap that ER apparently likes. Thats stuff is as bad to my gut as those nasty Fiber One bars.

Leave a comment:

• Babs
    replied
    Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    The key lies in the size of the yellow spot which is where the melon lay on the ground. The bigger the spot, the more mature the watermelon.
    Exactly! I love a really big, dry, dark patch on bottom. That's a great watermelon.

Leave a comment:

• Color Me Badd Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
    Shout-out to the under-ripe banana. Once upon a time, I wouldn't touch a banana that looked like it might develop a spot that day. Now, I'll at least use ripe bananas in smoothies.
    My 16 month old daughter loves under-ripe bananas. When they're beginning to spot a bit, she clearly doesn't like them as much, she's like her daddy. I'm the same with watermelon and tomatoes, I like them best slightly under-ripe. It has something to do with the taste, but possibly more with the texture. I find myself picking out tomatoes in a lot of sandwiches and burgers because they're disgustingly soggy and over ripe.

I also know the secret to picking out a good watermelon and the method involves no knocking, which practice I find to be completely absurd. The key lies in the size of the yellow spot which is where the melon lay on the ground. The bigger the spot, the more mature the watermelon. I look for the smallest spot and which connotes a slightly under-ripe melon which to me taste better and are more crisp.

Leave a comment:

• Pheidippides
    replied
    Cheerios. Honey Nut Cheerios. Frosted Shredded Mini Wheats. Don't care if it's name brand or generic.

That is my entire list. I do not eat any other cereals

These days, I typically have 1.5 servings of Cheerios with a protein shake of my own make (ice, chocolate protein powder, blueberries, half a banana).

Leave a comment:

• Hazzard
    replied
    When I have the time to cook, I almost always eat steel cut oatmeal (along with 2-3 scrambled eggs on the side ... a bowl of oatmeal only fills me up until about 10 am).

I don't always eat cold cereal ... but when I do ... I prefer ...

1. Golden Grahams. It's an incredible combination of taste and texture. I can eat it with lots of milk or no milk at all. I can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I can finish off a box in one sitting. Great cereal.

2. Fruity Pebbles. I totally understand why people don't like it (ridiculous amounts of sugar, leaves a weird film on the roof of your mouth, bad name), but for some reason I love it.

3. Grape Nuts. With sugar, of course -- but just the right amount. Too much sugar and I may as well have Cinnamon Toast Crunch; too little sugar and I feel like I'm eating sandpaper.

4. Frosted Mini-Wheats Again, this has great taste AND texture, but I have to be careful with the amount of milk used. Too little and it's too dry; too much and it's too soggy.

This morning I mixed cereals for the first time -- a 50/50 mix of Corn Chex and Honey Smacks -- and it was surprisingly tasty. I might start experimenting with some more mixtures.

Leave a comment:

• creekster
    replied
    Originally posted by Babs View Post
    I saw something like this posted on Craigslist once.
    I am surprised you are so open about your haunts.

Leave a comment:

• Babs
    replied
    Originally posted by creekster View Post
    I am the tweetee, never the tweeter. They come to me.
    I saw something like this posted on Craigslist once.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X