What cereal do you eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

How about if you microwave it? That's what my FIL (and I presume other old-timers) does.

That’s not making a worse cereal, technically speaking. But that is definitely making a bad cereal worse.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abuQk-6M5R4

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Not sure I’ve had a 10 yet. I’ll put Honey Ohs (fka Oh’s or Honey Graham Oh’s) at a 9.5. Great texture. Great flavor. Great in milk. Great by the handful. Takes a long time to get soggy, but isn’t so hard it hurts your teeth.

On the bottom end of the spectrum, I’ll put plain Shredded Wheat at 0.5. Awful flavor. Awful texture. Gets soggy fast. Absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I’m sure it’s possible to make a worse cereal, but it would take some effort.

So there’s your range.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I agree that plain jane Shredded Wheat, no frosting and in the humongous dry squares, is scraping the bottom of the barrel. I will occasionally go for some Frosted Mini-Wheats when I need a snack that's not too sweet, but plain jane Shredded Wheat is definitely in the no buy zone.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Thanks, that helps a lot. I agree that plain jane Shredded Wheat, no frosting and in the humongous dry squares, is scraping the bottom of the barrel. I will occasionally go for some Frosted Mini-Wheats when I need a snack that's not too sweet, but plain jane Shredded Wheat is definitely in the no buy zone.
          Frosted mini wheats are delicious. I remember when they weren’t so mini at all—each mini wheat was about 1” wide by 2.5-3” long, roughly the size of a mini candy bar. They were only mini in comparison with the bricks of regular SW. You pretty much had to cut them in half with your spoon as you ate.

Today’s standard FMW are a much better size. Still, the best are if you can find the FMW “Little Bites” which give you a much better frosting-to-wheat ratio.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Not sure I’ve had a 10 yet. I’ll put Honey Ohs (fka Oh’s or Honey Graham Oh’s) at a 9.5. Great texture. Great flavor. Great in milk. Great by the handful. Takes a long time to get soggy, but isn’t so hard it hurts your teeth.

On the bottom end of the spectrum, I’ll put plain Shredded Wheat at 0.5. Awful flavor. Awful texture. Gets soggy fast. Absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I’m sure it’s possible to make a worse cereal, but it would take some effort.

So there’s your range.

Puffed wheat takes the bottom for me.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I know it is fairly brand new, but I will take Peanut Butter Chex as the Best Cereal right now. Only because Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cereal was discontinued about 30 years ago. For now--- can't even touch Peanut Butter Chex.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Shredded wheat would be a zero for me. My mom used to buy it for us. It was meant to be a treat from the daily oatmeal

Grape nuts came next, which was always the fullest box of cereal in the cupboard. That’s probably a 2 for me. Enough sugar and finding the mushy sweet spot so it doesn’t chip a tooth made it barely palatable.

Frosted mini wheats (all flavors, really) are a 7 for me. Will gladly eat them, but I can definitely get tired of them after a few boxes.

The afore-mentioned CTT and Reese’s Pieces are at the pinnacle of my cold cereal ratings. I can always eat them.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Confession: I LOVE Grape Nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    I know it is fairly brand new, but I will take Peanut Butter Chex as the Best Cereal right now. Only because Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cereal was discontinued about 30 years ago. For now--- can't even touch Peanut Butter Chex.
                    I have looked for PB Chex at all of our regular grocers (Smiths, Albertsons, Vons) and none of them carry it. I may have to make a trip to Wal-Mart just to give this a try.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      Confession: I LOVE Grape Nuts.
                      It's good stuff. Of course, I also liked [non-frosted] Shredded Wheat. It's just one ingredient.

I haven't purchased either one for many, many moons, but I don't really eat a lot of cereal anymore.

The cereals I buy most often tend to be among the least expensive:

Frosted Flakes
                      Frosted Mini-Wheats
                      Life (at Costco)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• i've been eating the malt o meal golden grahams lately. will have to give those ddl ctc's a try for sure.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          i've been eating the malt o meal golden grahams lately. will have to give those ddl ctc's a try for sure.
                          That's probably in the next tier down of frequency of acquisition at our house. Good stuff.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• When I was a kid, this was our cereal rotation:

shredded wheat
                            corn flakes
                            puffed wheat
                            puffed rice
                            cheerios

They are all terrible, but I learned to tolerate them. My mother was morally opposed to sugar cereal (too expensive!). I would eat it when sleeping over at a friends or cousins home and ponder how picked on I was.

Funny thing is, my kids never were that much into sugar cereal, other than maybe the occasional lucky charms or golden grahams. They typically went with some kind of flavored instant oatmeal, or granola, or something.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                            X