Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've got another holiday to worry about. It seems Thanksgiving Day is upon us.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've got another holiday to worry about. It seems Thanksgiving Day is upon us.

This year we are hosting so if someone starts some drama, I can lug my humps over to my own bedroom and escape.

We are doing two turkeys, a traditional roasted and a fried. I am in charge of the fried and am really excited about it. For any fry aficionados, any recs on brines, rubs, or injections? I am going with peanut oil for the cook.

I will probably do a few apps, including deviled eggs, date rumaki, and ABTs. I am also still very intrigued by mpfunks green chile apple pie recipe as well as donute's cheesecake.

We are usually going somewhere on Thanksgiving so I am really excited to have our first real Thanksgiving at home with the puffy check. Not sure how excited I am to host 15 other people, though.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

leading cause of fire during the holidays

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      leading cause of fire during the holidays
      really? I didnt know that. I guess I wont make deviled eggs after all.

sigpic

Comment

Nailed the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          really? I didnt know that. I guess I wont make deviled eggs after all.
          I think she means thanksgiving. THanskgiving is the leading cause of holiday fires. You know, someone has a little too much egg nog, insults cousin eddie's wife, a fight erupts and pretty soon cousin eddie is spreading gas on straw in the barn. It happens hundreds of times every year.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            I think she means thanksgiving. THanskgiving is the leading cause of holiday fires. You know, someone has a little too much egg nog, insults cousin eddie's wife, a fight erupts and pretty soon cousin eddie is spreading gas on straw in the barn. It happens hundreds of times every year.
            I didnt realize Thanksgiving was so dangerous.

I think I'm losing control of the whole world.

sigpic

Comment

Turkey has a pretty low ceiling on how well it can taste. The bird is simply a mediocre meat product. Do whatever takes the least amount of effort because it won't taste that much better.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                Turkey has a pretty low ceiling on how well it can taste. The bird is simply a mediocre meat product. Do whatever takes the least amount of effort because it won't taste that much better.
                I think after it is decapitated and cooked it is unlikely the turkey can taste at all, let alone well.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  I think after it is decapitated and cooked it is unlikely the turkey can taste at all, let alone well.
                  Shut up, creekster. You know what I meant.

Comment

I did a smoked turkey breast last Sunday for our family Thanksgiving. I don't care much for turkey, but this was great. A very simple brine, very simple baste, very simple cook. It was a serious hit. I'm doing another this weekend to take back to Manila with me next week. I liked it much better than fried turkey.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                      I did a smoked turkey breast last Sunday for our family Thanksgiving. I don't care much for turkey, but this was great. A very simple brine, very simple baste, very simple cook. It was a serious hit. I'm doing another this weekend to take back to Manila with me next week. I liked it much better than fried turkey.
                      Please post your technique. I haven't had much luck with smoked turkey and I am starting to get a poopy attitude like YO.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Please post your technique. I haven't had much luck with smoked turkey and I am starting to get a poopy attitude like YO.
                        I have never loved turkey. If there wasn't turkey gravy, turkey would pretty much suck in my opinion. This was simple and all about approximates. By far my favorite turkey.

Brine
                        Gallon of water
                        1/3 cup of kosher salt
                        1/3 cup of sugar
                        4 sprigs of fresh rosemary

Stir together in a non-reactive container. Place breast in container for 8 to 24 hours. Rinse and pat dry.

Baste
                        1 cube of soften butter
                        3 heaping spoonfuls of minced garlic
                        2 tablespoons of rub (I used a spicy apple rub)

Mix together. Pull the skin back and rub the baste mix all over. Pull the skin back and put toothpicks in to hold the skin in place.

Smoke with mild wood, or better yet, fruit. I use Perfect Pellets and Peach pellets. I smoked at 250, about 30 minutes a pound. So 10 pounder took 5 hours. Rub left over baste mixture on about halfway through the smoke. If you don't have anything left, a little olive oil should work.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                          I have never loved turkey. If there wasn't turkey gravy, turkey would pretty much suck in my opinion. This was simple and all about approximates. By far my favorite turkey.

Brine
                          Gallon of water
                          1/3 cup of kosher salt
                          1/3 cup of sugar
                          4 sprigs of fresh rosemary

Stir together in a non-reactive container. Place breast in container for 8 to 24 hours. Rinse and pat dry.

Baste
                          1 cube of soften butter
                          3 heaping spoonfuls of minced garlic
                          2 tablespoons of rub (I used a spicy apple rub)

Mix together. Pull the skin back and rub the baste mix all over. Pull the skin back and put toothpicks in to hold the skin in place.

Smoke with mild wood, or better yet, fruit. I use Perfect Pellets and Peach pellets. I smoked at 250, about 30 minutes a pound. So 10 pounder took 5 hours. Rub left over baste mixture on about halfway through the smoke. If you don't have anything left, a little olive oil should work.
                          Thanks. Will give it a shot.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Wherever you getting your fresh whole turkey breasts?

Comment

Cook it to the right temperature. Outside of that, turkey's turkey.

Comment

Working...
                              X