No announcement yet.

The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooked a Christmas brisket. It was a monster and took a little longer to cook than normal. I think it's the best brisket I've cooked so far.

Comment

• Yikes. You’d think Cornyn was from New York or California with a broker like that. Pretty safe to say I’m not voting for the guy again after this atrocity.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I mean, you only need so much corned beef for St. Patrick’s day. So what to do with the rest of the brisket?
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I might be cooking brisket for the YSA Ward I'm in. They're telling me 60-70 people on the high end, so that's probably, what, three large (18#) briskets? Or would you go with four? That also probably means staggering my cooking, with two of them holding for longer than the other one or two.

I typically smoke for 5 hours and finish in the oven for another 4-5 hours, and hold for 6 hours. To make that all work, I'd either have to lengthen the hold time on the first batch and/or shorten the hold on the second batch. What would be the happy medium I should go for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                I might be cooking brisket for the YSA Ward I'm in. They're telling me 60-70 people on the high end, so that's probably, what, three large (18#) briskets? Or would you go with four? That also probably means staggering my cooking, with two of them holding for longer than the other one or two.

I typically smoke for 5 hours and finish in the oven for another 4-5 hours, and hold for 6 hours. To make that all work, I'd either have to lengthen the hold time on the first batch and/or shorten the hold on the second batch. What would be the happy medium I should go for?
                There is a lot of fat in a brisket that you either trim off or it cooks down. It seems crazy, but in my experience a brisket will only feed a dozen or so people. I would be shocked if you could feed 60-70 people with three briskets, but I could be wrong. CJF should chime in (or you could PM him).

My advice would be to forget about the brisket and do pulled pork instead. You could easily feed that big a crowd with 4 big butts. 1 butt = 15-20 people when you do it on sandwiches.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

There is a lot of fat in a brisket that you either trim off or it cooks down. It seems crazy, but in my experience a brisket will only feed a dozen or so people. I would be shocked if you could feed 60-70 people with three briskets, but I could be wrong. CJF should chime in (or you could PM him).

My advice would be to forget about the brisket and do pulled pork instead. You could easily feed that big a crowd with 4 big butts. 1 butt = 15-20 people when you do it on sandwiches.
                  I think the planning factor I remember was one pound brisket per person precooked, which is probably closer to 4 briskets. I did mention the pulled pork when they approached me about it, and they'll be good with that as well. I might go that direction just to be safe.

Comment

So getting back to the holding thing, have you ever cooked briskets staggered like that and adjusted the hold times? What's the max hold time you would consider?

Comment

If someone were to like this post would that mean that by inclusion they like big butts?
                      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post

If someone were to like this post would that mean that by inclusion they like big butts?
                        I cannot lie.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post

Yes, I like big butts and I cannot lie!
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

I cannot lie.
                            Dang it, pelado. He pitched that softball to ME.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

So getting back to the holding thing, have you ever cooked briskets staggered like that and adjusted the hold times? What's the max hold time you would consider?
                              You can hold brisket for 24 hrs easily as long as it is tightly sealed so that it won't oxidize. I would hold at 160.

I have told the story a few times, but I toured the pits at Blacks BBQ in Austin one time and they had at least 50 briskets they were cooking. They looked mostly done and they told me that all of the ones I was looking at were to be served the next day.

Comment

Dang it, pelado. He pitched that softball to ME.
                                He asked if someone liked your post, would that mean they liked big butts. I liked your post and then posted my reply. It's not my fault you're slow.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X