X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bo Diddley
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

There is a lot of fat in a brisket that you either trim off or it cooks down. It seems crazy, but in my experience a brisket will only feed a dozen or so people. I would be shocked if you could feed 60-70 people with three briskets, but I could be wrong. CJF should chime in (or you could PM him).

My advice would be to forget about the brisket and do pulled pork instead. You could easily feed that big a crowd with 4 big butts. 1 butt = 15-20 people when you do it on sandwiches.
    I think the planning factor I remember was one pound brisket per person precooked, which is probably closer to 4 briskets. I did mention the pulled pork when they approached me about it, and they'll be good with that as well. I might go that direction just to be safe.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I might be cooking brisket for the YSA Ward I'm in. They're telling me 60-70 people on the high end, so that's probably, what, three large (18#) briskets? Or would you go with four? That also probably means staggering my cooking, with two of them holding for longer than the other one or two.

I typically smoke for 5 hours and finish in the oven for another 4-5 hours, and hold for 6 hours. To make that all work, I'd either have to lengthen the hold time on the first batch and/or shorten the hold on the second batch. What would be the happy medium I should go for?
    There is a lot of fat in a brisket that you either trim off or it cooks down. It seems crazy, but in my experience a brisket will only feed a dozen or so people. I would be shocked if you could feed 60-70 people with three briskets, but I could be wrong. CJF should chime in (or you could PM him).

My advice would be to forget about the brisket and do pulled pork instead. You could easily feed that big a crowd with 4 big butts. 1 butt = 15-20 people when you do it on sandwiches.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Diddley
    replied
    I might be cooking brisket for the YSA Ward I'm in. They're telling me 60-70 people on the high end, so that's probably, what, three large (18#) briskets? Or would you go with four? That also probably means staggering my cooking, with two of them holding for longer than the other one or two.

I typically smoke for 5 hours and finish in the oven for another 4-5 hours, and hold for 6 hours. To make that all work, I'd either have to lengthen the hold time on the first batch and/or shorten the hold on the second batch. What would be the happy medium I should go for?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied

Leave a comment:

• All-American
    replied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• All-American
    replied

I mean, you only need so much corned beef for St. Patrick’s day. So what to do with the rest of the brisket?

Leave a comment:

• Moliere
    replied

Yikes. You’d think Cornyn was from New York or California with a broker like that. Pretty safe to say I’m not voting for the guy again after this atrocity.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Diddley
    replied
    Cooked a Christmas brisket. It was a monster and took a little longer to cook than normal. I think it's the best brisket I've cooked so far.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Diddley
    replied
    Smoked a brisket last night, and returned to my salt and pepper roots. Cooked it flat side up like the Dude suggested somewhere. The bark was better this way.

When I pulled it out to trim it before smoking it, it had some weird cuts in the meat that really weren't supposed to be there. I opened them to add in more rub.

Very tasty.

These seem to go like clockwork on their cook time. 5 hour smoke at 220, foil and finish for about 4 hours inside at 225. I pulled at 196, cooled for 15, then on hold for about 7 hours. I still need to buy cling wrap to use under my foil.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Looks great!

I cooked two briskets today. And I used the pink butcher paper technique. Took longer than my normal foil technique.

Leave a comment:

• Jarid in Cedar
    replied
    Originally posted by CJF View Post
    Looks tasty. Did you do a flat or a full packer?
    Full packer. 12 hour cook. Still struggle some with the end of the flat getting too dry, but this was my best effort to date.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Diddley
    replied
    Looks delicious!

Leave a comment:

• CJF
    replied
    Looks tasty. Did you do a flat or a full packer?

edit....never mind. I missed the second picture.

Leave a comment:

• Jarid in Cedar
    replied
    Dinner tonight

Leave a comment:

• CJF
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I think for certain lean cuts/steaks it makes great sense. Love me some teriyaki sirloin kebabs for example. Doesn't make so much sense for fattier, slow-cooked cuts like briskets or roasts. But hey, knock yourself out!
    This is true. This is why Spade L is great on tri-tip but sounds awful on brisket. It’s the sugar content that blends really well with a leaner cut of a tip.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X