• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moliere
    replied
    Originally posted by All-American View Post
    So, so good.

I used a homemade rub made of equal parts salt, black pepper, and garlic powder, and smoked with oak starting at 3:00 am. I wrapped in foil just before eight, and finished in the oven until just after 3:00 pm. Held at 170 for two hours, then had it on the counter for 45 minutes until slicing.

The only negatives were that I nicked a finger while trimming and didn't do a great job slicing it. I'll have to try again before I can blame the knife. But the final product was juicy, fork-tender, flavorful-- everything I was hoping for. My wife paid me the ultimate compliment by telling me she thought it was as good as anything we've gotten from a bbq restaurant and that it will be hard to pay for restaurant bbq after last night.

Stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• wuapinmon
    replied
    So, so good.

I used a homemade rub made of equal parts salt, black pepper, and garlic powder, and smoked with oak starting at 3:00 am. I wrapped in foil just before eight, and finished in the oven until just after 3:00 pm. Held at 170 for two hours, then had it on the counter for 45 minutes until slicing.

The only negatives were that I nicked a finger while trimming and didn't do a great job slicing it. I'll have to try again before I can blame the knife. But the final product was juicy, fork-tender, flavorful-- everything I was hoping for. My wife paid me the ultimate compliment by telling me she thought it was as good as anything we've gotten from a bbq restaurant and that it will be hard to pay for restaurant bbq after last night.

Stoked.
    I swear that beef really doesn't need much beyond salt, pepper, and garlic. I prefer granulated to powder, but the results are almost the same. That looks delishusssss.

Leave a comment:

• All-American
    replied
    So, so good.

Stoked.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied

willy
    Bravo!

Leave a comment:

• All-American
    replied
    The Official Brisket Thread

Last edited by All-American; 06-26-2016, 09:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mtnbiker
    replied
    Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    A hundred pounds on the smoker for girls camp and another small party Saturday. I'm past the point that this is fun. I fed over 2,000 people last summer, and I'll be at 600 after this weekend for this summer already. Anyone want to buy a barbecue trailer?
    I was hoping you were going to ask if anyone wanted to buy some brisket. :-) That's a lot of meat to cook. Do you trim up each brisket, or do you not worry about that when there is so much to cook and just slap them on the smoker?

We just had fajitas from leftover brisket. It was so tasty.

Leave a comment:

• cowboy
    replied
    A hundred pounds on the smoker for girls camp and another small party Saturday. I'm past the point that this is fun. I fed over 2,000 people last summer, and I'll be at 600 after this weekend for this summer already. Anyone want to buy a barbecue trailer?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    That brisket looks fantastic. Bravo!

Cowboy, I do the same kind of thing with brisket and pork butt.

Leave a comment:

• cowboy
    replied
    I've learned that one key to good brisket is the drizzle. I place the cutting board on a cookie sheet, and unwrap the brisket on the board, catching the juice in the cookie sheet. I slice the meat and place it on the serving tray, then slowly drizzle the juice from the cookie sheet onto the meat. If there is juice remaining at the bottom of the serving tray, I pour it back into the cookie sheet and repeat until the meat has soaked up as much juice as possible. This has a three-fold effect: 1) it obviously makes the meat more moist, 2) it capture the smokey flavor and disburses it throughout the meat, and 3) It disburses the rub onto the meat. We cooked for four hundred high school kids last week in two different events, and this method was a huge success. I'll be cooking five briskets for girls camp this week but can't be there to slice it. I can't decide whether I should slice before the FTC, or just hope they slice it right at girls camp.

Leave a comment:

• Moliere
    replied
    The brisket turned out really well. Taste was perfect and it was the juiciest one I've done. The smoke ring was lacking but it tasted smokey. I think Costco is my new place to buy briskest.

Leave a comment:

• Moliere
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
    What size is it?
    It was 14.5 pounds. Turns out my maverick sensors are off, with the smoker one being off by about 30 degrees. Good thing I have a thermapen to check the temps. It was cooking in the 280-300 range which is probably why it cooked so quickly. It should be fine.

Guess I need to upgrade my temp sensors.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Public
    replied
    What size is it?

Leave a comment:

• Moliere
    replied
    Doing the brisket today. Got up at 5am and had it on the smoker by 5:30 and was back in bed and asleep by 6am. After just over 6 hours of cooking at 250 degrees the brisket is already at 185. This is the fastest one I've ever done....not sure why it cooked so fast. Looks like I'm going to do a 5 hour hold on this one.

Leave a comment:

• kccougar
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Not sure of the best place to put this, but this seems as good as any. Remember the old admonition about the importance of resting meat before you slice it? I am not talking about holding meat, I am talking about a short rest right before you slice it. Turns out that it isn't necessary.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ting_meat.html
    My takeaway from his article - that awesome John Boos cutting board with juice pan. I hate cleaning up meat juices that always overflow the drip channel around my cutting board. I just bought my Father's Day gift for this year.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Not sure of the best place to put this, but this seems as good as any. Remember the old admonition about the importance of resting meat before you slice it? I am not talking about holding meat, I am talking about a short rest right before you slice it. Turns out that it isn't necessary.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ting_meat.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X