No announcement yet.

Talking Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This year I bought a cajun turkey from popeyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      I brought up the idea of smoking a brisket for thanksgiving. I lost by a vote of 4:3 with MJ casting the tie breaking vote. Interestingly enough, the vote was down gender lines with all males voting for the brisket and all females voting for the turkey (citing tradition as the main reason with MJ actually saying she likes turkey).

I still don’t like turkey, but frying it has at least made it edible for me.
      Dude, what is wrong with you? You are an American and this is Thanksgiving.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Dude, what is wrong with you? You are an American and this is Thanksgiving.
        I’m also a Texan

Smoked turkey is decent (especially when you make gravy with the drippings), but MJ didn’t like it so that idea is out.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I’m also a Texan

Smoked turkey is decent (especially when you make gravy with the drippings), but MJ didn’t like it so that idea is out.
          Your wife doesn't like smoked turkey?

You are both messed up.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I’m also a Texan

I thought you were an Angelino. Or maybe from Pittsburgh?
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Your wife doesn't like smoked turkey?

You are both messed up.
              I kind of understand. Turkey can be fine, especially if smoked. But the best turkey I’ve ever had wasn’t as good as the worst brisket I’ve ever had.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                I kind of understand. Turkey can be fine, especially if smoked. But the best turkey I’ve ever had wasn’t as good as the worst brisket I’ve ever had.
                That is not the point!

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  You obviously haven't tried sous vide brisket.

Comment

That is not the point!
                    so it's the flat?
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      so it's the flat?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        That is not the point!
                        Right, the point is that because we are Americans we should eat subpar fowl meat on our day of celebration.

Listen, if the Rose Bowl is going to allow a team from outside the Big10 and PAC to play in their game, then all traditions deserve to be broken.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Right, the point is that because we are Americans we should eat subpar fowl meat on our day of celebration.

Listen, if the Rose Bowl is going to allow a team from outside the Big10 and PAC to play in their game, then all traditions deserve to be broken.
                          Don’t be such a baby. It is not difficult to make a delicious turkey.

Comment

• The school district got the bright idea to let the kids out of school for the whole week. That's nine days straight, if you're keeping track at home.

One attorney had no choice but to bring her girls with her to the office. The six year old is presently sobbing, "But I hate your work!!! I want to go hoooooommmmmmme."

Comment

• Since I'm not brining this year, I am spending all my advance time making bone broth. It's been on two days now and looking super gelatinous.

Comment

• Cooked the best perfect turkey I've ever head using sous vide yesterday.

1. Quartered the turkey.
                                2. Heavily seasoned and added some butter. Put the legs/thighs in one sous vide bath at 150 for 12 hours.
                                3. Took the breasts off the bone and in sous vide at 130 for about seven hours.
                                4. After the sous vide, dunk in ice and put in fridge to cool down for roasting phase.
                                5. In oven to roast in attempt to crisp and brown up skin. I did 400 for 45 minutes.

The skin crisping failed. But the turkey was the best combination of juicy, flavorful, and right texture of any turkey I've ever had.

The method was a combination of a few different websites. The main question was how long and what temperature to roast. The original plan was to go 400 for 30 minutes. After 20 minutes, the skin looked no different, but checking internal temperature, it wasn't even close, ie still < 80 or 90. So I decided to keep going as long as I could before the internal temperature of the breasts got too high. I finally took them out when breast was about 140. The skin was almost ready to turn but hadn't quite. Parts were brown and crisp but mostly not. So, I just removed the skin, but I thought this was huge success and will do this again. I'm not sure, but cooking it in oven to a temp higher than the sous vide, might have been the key to the flavor and texture. I sometimes feel with poultry, the sous vide has a fake, moist but watery kind of feel. Not this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X