The Official Jell-o Salad Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Jell-o Salad Thread

I was on a family chat and joked that I had a lucky childhood as my main trigger is green Jell-o. Only a couple of people got the joke. When I explained, I was surprised to learn that Jell-o salads seem to still be popular in Utah Mormon culture. I was roundly booed. I think any Jell-o salad is hideous. Is Jell-o salad still a common element of a holiday or potluck buffet or as a teatime snack in Utah?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

My mom makes a pretty tasty jello desert with broken pretzels at the base, strawberries in the jello as a middle layer, and whip cream on top. Not much of a jello eater these days, but that desert is delicious.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Not sure if it qualifies as a salad, but my wife likes to make a Jello dish. She'll add some Cool Whip to the Jello to create a frothy layer. I think sometimes she'll make it with soda instead of just water, so it will have a bit of carbonation, too.

She never puts shredded carrots in the Jello, like my mom used to do.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I just remembered that my MIL, and now my wife, sometimes make a rainbow jello desert. Its like 6 or 8 layers of jello in a rainbow format. Every other layer is a "clouded" version of the color before. So clear red, then opaque red (not sure what is put in the mix to make it opaque), clear orange, opaque orange, etc.

At the end of the day, its just pretty jello and not worth the effort, IMO.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          I just remembered that my MIL, and now my wife, sometimes make a rainbow jello desert. Its like 6 or 8 layers of jello in a rainbow format. Every other layer is a "clouded" version of the color before. So clear red, then opaque red (not sure what is put in the mix to make it opaque), clear orange, opaque orange, etc.

At the end of the day, its just pretty jello and not worth the effort, IMO.
          I've made that a few times. It takes all day, it's beautiful when it's done correctly, and nobody appreciates the effort it took to make it. It's been less than a year since my wife considered making it again, and I convinced her that it wasn't worth the bother. We'll probably never do it again.

Comment

I honestly don't remember the last time I saw a jello salad. It has been ages.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Jello = sugar + collagen. Gross.

Now before you self-righteous Jello defenders get your panties in a twist, yes, I eat all kinds of things that are equally as inane and/or gross-sounding as sugar+collagen, but Jello just isn't my thing.

Comment

Soccermom makes a rainbow Jello dish. I know this because she posts about it on social media every time she makes it At any rate, an image search for rainbow Jello is aesthetically pleasing, at least to me.

Jello.jpg
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Through the 50s and 60s, orange jello with slice bananas and mandarin orange wedges was the obligatory "salad" alongside the roast, mashed potatoes and veggies pretty much every Sunday. I don't think my wife has made jello anything in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Through the 50s and 60s, orange jello with slice bananas and mandarin orange wedges was the obligatory "salad" alongside the roast, mashed potatoes and veggies pretty much every Sunday. I don't think my wife has made jello anything in decades.
                    Thanks for jogging my memory. My wife will also add mandarin oranges to orange Jello from time to time.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Soccermom makes a rainbow Jello dish. I know this because she posts about it on social media every time she makes it At any rate, an image search for rainbow Jello is aesthetically pleasing, at least to me.

Jello.jpg
                      Its kinda fun to eat too, as the layers can be peeled apart.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Thanks for jogging my memory. My wife will also add mandarin oranges to orange Jello from time to time.
                        Don't you mean "jiggling" your memory?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

When I was growing up, I made jello to go with Sunday dinner frequently. One time I mixed a few flavors together, and it tasted like a cola to me. Sadly, I didn't take note of the flavors, so I'll never have that recipe again!

I have rarely eaten or seen jello in any form for years now.

Comment

It think the Jello salad was a casualty of the split Sunday meeting schedule.

I wonder what we have lost by going to two-hour church?

Comment

Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
                              It think the Jello salad was a casualty of the split Sunday meeting schedule.

I wonder what we have lost by going to two-hour church?
                              The third hour.
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                              X