The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Funny. I think this doc is just awful. Poorly executed (pun!). Amazing story, but really poorly told. A legit clinic in how to take a fascinating topic and make it boring AF. Seriously, last night I woke up at 3:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep. I fired up an episode of this and was asleep in no time. Not even lying.
    We liked it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Funny. I think this doc is just awful. Poorly executed (pun!). Amazing story, but really poorly told. A legit clinic in how to take a fascinating topic and make it boring AF. Seriously, last night I woke up at 3:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep. I fired up an episode of this and was asleep in no time. Not even lying.
      I liked it, but I think it would have been more compelling if it were half as long. That's an inherent problem with a Netflix limited series. You need to stretch it out to at least 4 episodes, whether the content warrants it or not.

"The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

I liked it, but I think it would have been more compelling if it were half as long. That's an inherent problem with a Netflix limited series. You need to stretch it out to at least 4 episodes, whether the content warrants it or not.
        Why? Is this a Netflix rule? Seems like a streaming platform should remove pretty much any time restraints.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Why? Is this a Netflix rule? Seems like a streaming platform should remove pretty much any time restraints.
          I don't know if it's a rule, but it seems to be the formula. Multi-season season shows aim for 10-12 episodes and single season shows seem to aim at 4-5 episodes. I'm sure it's driven by marketing.
          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• I really liked the Cecil hotel documentary
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I don't know if it's a rule, but it seems to be the formula. Multi-season season shows aim for 10-12 episodes and single season shows seem to aim at 4-5 episodes. I'm sure it's driven by marketing.
              I think it's more of the normal restraints of cinematics being removed and indulgence being more tolerated. We're constantly getting the director's cut. I'm not complaining- if I like a show I want more, not less. That results in typically less streamlined programming, but that's the tradeoff.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                I really liked the Cecil hotel documentary
                Looks really interesting to me. Relatively low IMDB ratings scared me off. Maybe we will give it a shot.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Starting Season 3 of Halt and Catch Fire. This show is great.
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                    Starting Season 3 of Halt and Catch Fire. This show is great.
                    I loved that show. It's only a matter of time before I binge it again. I don't remember who on the site recommended it, but they are much appreciated.

Comment

I loved that show. It's only a matter of time before I binge it again. I don't remember who on the site recommended it, but they are much appreciated.
                      I trusted the recommendation of Donuthole in my decision to watch it.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• I just watched Murder Among Mormons episode 1. With around 4 minutes left in the first episode with a short cut scene from a sacrament meeting taking place in the late 70s or early 80s, my great aunt, or her doppelganger, is in a blue dress singing in the choir. The shot is fairly close and it really looks like her.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Just finished all three episodes of Murder Among the Mormons, which I noticed is directed by Jared Hess. Wow. I hadn't ever dipped into the 'white salamander letter' stuff before, nor did I know anything about Mark Hoffman-- talk about epic, Nehor-levels of apostasy.

Anyway, a really cool documentary.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            Just finished all three episodes of Murder Among the Mormons, which I noticed is directed by Jared Hess. Wow. I hadn't ever dipped into the 'white salamander letter' stuff before, nor did I know anything about Mark Hoffman-- talk about epic, Nehor-levels of apostasy.

Anyway, a really cool documentary.
                            They did a test on his Oath of the Freeman document and it actually passed inspection -- the paper and the ink were found to have been 300 years old (or whatever). They explained how he got the paper to show the age, but what about the ink?

BTW, I remember the BYU library had some books in the periodical section (underground section with big windows on north end facing administration building) that I recall being dated to the 16th or 17th century that I believe were in German. They weren't locked away, anyone entering the library could handle them, though I don't think they could be checked out.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post

They did a test on his Oath of the Freeman document and it actually passed inspection -- the paper and the ink were found to have been 300 years old (or whatever). They explained how he got the paper to show the age, but what about the ink?

BTW, I remember the BYU library had some books in the periodical section (underground section with big windows on north end facing administration building) that I recall being dated to the 16th or 17th century that I believe were in German. They weren't locked away, anyone entering the library could handle them, though I don't think they could be checked out.
                              Yeah the forensics guy noticed that all Mark Hoffman's documents had 'cracked' ink when viewed under a microscope. Hoffman explained to his debriefer that he just used some mix of chemicals/ingredients (he actually states what it was specifically but I can't recite it from one viewing) that he got from a hobby shop. The forensics guys were finally able to duplicate what he'd done after some trial and error. Some people use their genius to like... invent Bitcoin or something. This guy used his specifically to be a giant piece of shit.
                              Last edited by Commando; 03-04-2021, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Episodes 7 and 8 of season 4 of Halt and Catch Fire are some of the most powerful TV I've ever watched. It captures the grief process and have w transformative it can be better than anything I've ever watched.
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X