Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post

In Rainbows is a nearly perfect album.
    Lol.

Newsflash Faust Arp isn’t good.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post

Please tell us how Wilco is great.
      They are great! Being There, Summerteeth, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot are superb albums. I listened to Being There last night in fact.

Comment

I love music snobbery debates mostly because I like to see people pour out their soul about obscure artists without recognizing that their intense knowledge has negative social value. The debates always end one of two ways: first the snob will name a few bands nobody has heard of and cite said bands work as the best of an era, or it’ll devolve into a debate about how Radiohead is incredible and if guy don’t like Radiohead you aren’t really a fan of music.

Music from the 80s is awesome. Music from the 90s is awesome.

Music in general is awesome.

We’ve been putting together a list of songs that every kid today should know at min the lyrics to the opening/chorus.

If you don’t know the words to Hotel California, Sweet Caroline, Free Fallin, With or Without You, Love Shack, Yesterday, Nothing But a G Thang, Wonderwall, Torn, Hook, Impression That I Get, are you even a human?
        Yes. I 've curated a 90s playlist on Spotify since I joined it back in 2011 (2010, maybe?) It started out as mostly Alternative/Grunge, but eventually I started adding the pop, R&B, and other songs that I loved and listened to during that era. Not sure how many songs are on there, but its about 12 hours long. My oldest is a junior and has been listening to that playlist since she was about 10. She loves anything 90s.

About 5 years ago (whenever Frozen 2 came out) I was explaining to my kids the extra layer of humor behind the "Lost in the Woods" power ballad, and it took me down a road of great 80s music. So I started curating an 80s playlist, and now she listens to that one as well. So many great songs from both decades. The 90s is the soundtrack to my coming of age, so I lean that direction, but my mom always had the radio on when I was a little kid in Riverdale, so all of the 80s songs are extra nostalgic.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Lol.

Newsflash Faust Arp isn’t good.
          Its ok if you don't like it. Weren't you part of the crew that claimed that LMFAO was making better music than anyone?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Let's get back on topic, some of my favorite music from the 80s is Post Punk. A lot have already been mentioned but I really love the Chameleons and they are tragically underrated.

https://youtu.be/-iwxkLByt68

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Yes. I 've curated a 90s playlist on Spotify since I joined it back in 2011 (2010, maybe?) It started out as mostly Alternative/Grunge, but eventually I started adding the pop, R&B, and other songs that I loved and listened to during that era. Not sure how many songs are on there, but its about 12 hours long. My oldest is a junior and has been listening to that playlist since she was about 10. She loves anything 90s.

About 5 years ago (whenever Frozen 2 came out) I was explaining to my kids the extra layer of humor behind the "Lost in the Woods" power ballad, and it took me down a road of great 80s music. So I started curating an 80s playlist, and now she listens to that one as well. So many great songs from both decades. The 90s is the soundtrack to my coming of age, so I lean that direction, but my mom always had the radio on when I was a little kid in Riverdale, so all of the 80s songs are extra nostalgic.
              That’s incredible. So fun doing that with your kids.

We were in Lake Powell last year with a couple families and we were chilling in a canyon listening to downloaded music and Hotel California came on and naturally all the adults started singing all the words and all the kids looked at us like we were aliens and a friend said, to be a functioning adult you have to know the words to this song. That night we curated a small playlist for the next days adventures and have been adding to the list over the last year.

We recently added Santa Monica by Everclear and All Star by Smash Mouth. Not great songs, but songs that you should be able to bop through if they show up in a movie, a bar, or party.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
                Let's get back on topic, some of my favorite music from the 80s is Post Punk. A lot have already been mentioned but I really love the Chameleons and they are tragically underrated.

https://youtu.be/-iwxkLByt68
                Back to obscurity to flex how much more you like music than the rest of us!

Comment

We recently added Santa Monica by Everclear and All Star by Smash Mouth. Not great songs, but songs that you should be able to bop through if they show up in a movie, a bar, or party.
                  I think most of humanity has agreed that these songs should not show up in any more movies, bars, or parties. They are objectively terrible.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Back to obscurity to flex how much more you like music than the rest of us!
                    surely with some of the bands already mentioned, The Chameleons are on someone's radar. But I'll pull back the obscurity and let you get back to Smash Mouth and Everclear.

Comment

Back in the day, did you guys make mixed tapes or did you curate mixed tapes?
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                        My two tape deck stereo was used quite a bit to make mixed tapes. But more often I waited by the stereo listening to the radio in hopes the song I liked would play so I could record it.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

I think most of humanity has agreed that these songs should not show up in any more movies, bars, or parties. They are objectively terrible.
                          I cannot abide Smash Mouth
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

You will never know the agony of finding the place in the house with the best radio reception, and then trying to time the millisecond between the start of a song and when the DJ stops yapping.

Many mix tapes were made, and many were given as gifts. The two mix tapes I gave Mrs. NWC after our first semester together at BYU stand as testaments to the best 80's music had to offer. And they guaranteed a continued relationship after the summer.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Well, once a mix-tape was made, it was made. So it couldn't really be curated.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Ok fine but I don't think any of these songs has cannons.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X