The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
    Anyone here have much experience in with any of these retro classic NES mini video game consoles? My wife wants one and their are a ton available but they mostly have terrible reviews. Some of them have 100s of the original games but they tend to be reviewed worse than ones with fewer up loaded games. Is there an actually reputable knock off console?
    This might be a really dumb question but, why doesn't she buy the Nintendo branded classic NES mini video game console? (Although, I hooked mine up to my 71 incher and the pixelation was terrible. So I use it as a doorstop now.)

Comment

• I played Super Metroid with my son on his SNES Classic. I downloaded that game on the Wii ten years ago but never got around to finishing it. This time we went through the whole thing, got all the items. It's amazing game even to this day. I don't consider myself a big gamer, particularly because first person shooters give me a headache and make me nauseous (literally). I'm okay with 3rd person 3d games.

That said, apparently there's been Metroidvania renaissance the past few years. I downloaded Ori and the Will of the Wisps on both Xbox Game Pass and on my kids' Nintendo Switch. It's an extraordinary game, the graphics and music are incredible, it took genuine artistry to create it. I have two PCs I built -- one with a 1070 and one simply with the Ryzen 5 with a built-in GPU (they call it an APU, whatever that means). The AMD APU is multiple times more powerful than Intel built-in graphics, but I had never bothered putting a game on it. It easily outperforms the Switch, they had to degrade the graphics on Ori for it to work smoothly on the Nintendo. I also downloaded GTA V, and it credibly gets 60 FPS on medium settings at 1080p. That game has some age on it, but the $100 Ryzen Chip, which acts as my CPU and GPU on that machine, seems to run about as well as an original edition PS4 or X Box One -- I'm shocked by how well it performs.

For you Lost Student, I'll download Cyberpunk 2077 and see how well it renders my character's schlong and screenshot it to you.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post

For you Lost Student, I'll download Cyberpunk 2077 and see how well it renders my character's schlong and screenshot it to you.
        No thank you!
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• OMG Ghost of Tsushima- where have you been my whole life? I'm loving this and Spiderman: Miles Morales. I'm finding a lot of similarity between the two games, strangely, but they are a blast. Got me itching to play-- something I haven't really had since Fallout 4 or the last Far Cry game...
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
            My daughter loves it but I don’t understand the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            We got Animal Crossing New Horizons for the Switch based on the hype. It sucks, bad.

The local multiplayer is horrible and the fact that there is only one world per switch device is also horrible. While the critics rave about the game, the average joe users are absolutely eviscerating it. https://www.metacritic.com/game/swit...g-new-horizons. I should have read the user reviews before I bought it.

Even if the multiplayer and single-world-per-switch limitations didn't exist, the gameplay is just dumb and boring. You are right -there is no point, it's just really lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              We got Animal Crossing New Horizons for the Switch based on the hype. It sucks, bad.

The local multiplayer is horrible and the fact that there is only one world per switch device is also horrible. While the critics rave about the game, the average joe users are absolutely eviscerating it. https://www.metacritic.com/game/swit...g-new-horizons. I should have read the user reviews before I bought it.

Even if the multiplayer and single-world-per-switch limitations didn't exist, the gameplay is just dumb and boring. You are right -there is no point, it's just really lame.
              I think you're missing the point. It's sort of a Zen garden in video game form- loved playing this during the first months of the pandemic.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• My boy is turning 8 in a couple of weeks. He wants a gaming system to play Minecraft. Right now he plays it on an iPad. I am not a gamer and have no idea about any of this stuff.

My wife has heard the Nintendo Switch is the way to go. But what would you guys recommend as the best system for an 8 year old who has just played a ton of Minecraft and Stick Wars? Is the Switch a cheaper option? And who knows, maybe I'll play a Star Wars game in it or something myself.

Comment

My boy is turning 8 in a couple of weeks. He wants a gaming system to play Minecraft. Right now he plays it on an iPad. I am not a gamer and have no idea about any of this stuff.

My wife has heard the Nintendo Switch is the way to go. But what would you guys recommend as the best system for an 8 year old who has just played a ton of Minecraft and Stick Wars? Is the Switch a cheaper option? And who knows, maybe I'll play a Star Wars game in it or something myself.
                  When our kids were young, Nintendo was the best pick. My kids are now having kids of their own, and they have the Nintendo Switch and love it. It anecdotal, so take that for what it's worth.

Comment

• We have PC, XBox, and Nintendo Switch at our house (I'll probably never own a Sony platform because I dislike all things Sony). Most of the hardcore Minecrafters play on PC; however, because he's turning 8, I would agree with the Nintendo Switch recommendation. Nintendo switch is portable as well as hooks up to your TV so you can do family gaming on the big screen or take it in the car on road trips or whatever. If he were older in his early teens then an XBox or Playstation might be a better fit because those platforms have more games that appeal to teens and adults.

After you get MInecraft for the Switch, pony up for Mario Kart 8 and play with him - it's a blast for both kids and adults (except it ticks me off when my kids beat me). Mario Kart was, is, and always will be the best go-kart-wars style game in existence and it plays great on the Nintendo Switch.

Comment

• Good advice. We have everything. The switch is better system for younger kids and is the king of party games most of all Mario Cart. Xbox and Play station are the more popular picks for teenagers and adults. PCs are for hardcore gamers and you tubers. Though my kids learned Minecraft on the PC since when it came out it was not on any console. If your kids are only playing Minecraft they can play it on the pc you probably already have and it will be perfectly fine.

All of my kids including the 20 year old still play Minecraft with their friends. Mostly on Xbox or PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• I think with a 8-year old that the Switch is the way to go. It has better kid based exclusive titles as well. There are a lot of games that are fun to play with your kid as well: Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Cart. etc. I lot of people love Smash Bros, but I can't stand it. Mostly because I suck and I cannot beat my son. I try and fail.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

My boy is turning 8 in a couple of weeks. He wants a gaming system to play Minecraft. Right now he plays it on an iPad. I am not a gamer and have no idea about any of this stuff.

What is 'stick wars?'

Comment

• The Switch is great for kids. It has Minecraft in spades and also all the Mario/Zelda/Metroid games that are pretty indispensable. The Switch also has more of the weird indie games and board games for the family, so there's a lot there. The XBox is great for Minecraft, too, and as a higher performance machine it has the good Star Wars games you're looking for (Battlefront, Squadrons, Fallen Order). The Switch has the older Star Wars games that were previously available on older systems like Pod Racer, Republic Commando, and Jedi Knight Academy, but that's about it.

It's kind of a real Sophie's choice, but on the other hand you kind of can't go wrong.

Comment

• I've been addicted to the new release 'Mario Golf-- Super Rush' on the Switch lately. The funny thing is that it plays almost identically to NES Golf with better graphics and more shooting features and options, but the play feels the same--- it's just timeless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                I've been addicted to the new release 'Mario Golf-- Super Rush' on the Switch lately. The funny thing is that it plays almost identically to NES Golf with better graphics and more shooting features and options, but the play feels the same--- it's just timeless.
                                I haven't had a chance to play it just yet, but my kid loves it. He forgot to bring it last time he came over. However, he is already talking smack to me about how he is going to destroy me at it. He is probably right. I barely can beat him at Mario Tennis.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X