The 2021 Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my favorite Larry King clips:

"The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Cloris Leachman of the Mary Tyler Moore Show and what my kids knew her as “Gran” in “The Croods” has passed away.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...ry?id=44405093

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
        Cloris Leachman of the Mary Tyler Moore Show and what my kids knew her as “Gran” in “The Croods” has passed away.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...ry?id=44405093

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Frau Blucher!!

Comment

Screech dead at 44. from cancer.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/enter...bit/index.html
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            F cancer.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Ricky Powell, famed hip-hop photographer, immortalized on Beastie Boys' 'Car Thief.'
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Dustin diamond Screech in saved by the bell. I watched some of his shows when I was in High School. I don’t think saved by the bell has aired for some time.
                Last edited by grapevine; 02-02-2021, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Christopher Plummer. He was a fine actor with so many great roles, but perhaps his most widely known part was that of Georg Von Trapp, the Austrian navy captain in The Sound of Music. Decades ago, when asked how much he loved filming the movie, he said something to the effect that he vomited a lot as he thought the movie was so schmaltzy and syrupy sweet. But in later years he regretted having said that and that he was grateful to have been a part of it. I like the movie, but his original observation was not wrong. Perhaps we'll never know why Georg was in the navy of a land-locked country. RIP Mr. Plummer.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Christopher Plummer. He was a fine actor with so many great roles, but perhaps his most widely known part was that of Georg Von Trapp, the Austrian navy captain in The Sound of Music. Decades ago, when asked how much he loved filming the movie, he said something to the effect that he vomited a lot as he thought the movie was so schmaltzy and syrupy sweet. But in later years he regretted having said that and that he was grateful to have been a part of it. I like the movie, but his original observation was not wrong. Perhaps we'll never know why Georg was in the navy of a land-locked country. RIP Mr. Plummer.
                    I think Austria held different territory during Georg's time. They had ships is the 1st world war, Austria-Hungary Empire. But I haven't seen the Sound of Music in decades.

Comment

[ Perhaps we'll never know why Georg was in the navy of a land-locked country. RIP Mr. Plummer.
                      Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

I think Austria held different territory during Georg's time. They had ships is the 1st world war, Austria-Hungary Empire. But I haven't seen the Sound of Music in decades.
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Hungarian_Navy
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Schmaltzy and cheesy and glorious.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The Theranos curse- strikes again - https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/07/polit...ead/index.html

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Schmaltzy and cheesy and glorious.
                            It is all those things. I'm not ashamed to admit I've seen it multiple times (including a sing-along in the Castro District which was hilarious), largely because it's like a mission video for me. I lived within walking distance of most of the filming locations and know the area very well love to visit. We lhad planned to take some kids and grandkids there last summer but COVID intervened. A dream retirement job for me would be to take Americans on a combo Salzburg/Berchtesgaden tour that would cover all of the Sound of Music sites and Hitler's Eagle's Nest.

I think I've mentioned this before but when a BYU Program Bureau performing group came through Salzburg to perform, they finished with "Edelweiss," which they sang with great passion, expecting the audience to be overcome with emotion. The audience applauded politely but nothing more. A member leaned over and said something to the effect of "Geez, you guys think this our national anthem. We hadn't heard of it until that Julie Andrews movie came through. The song was written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, not Mozart ferevinsakes..."

And I wish I hadn't mentioned the land-locked country quip, which was from a 50+-year-old Mad Magazine parody of the movie. As the board geezer, I should have known better.

Comment

Returning to the threat topic, two of our kids are grieving today as a work colleague and friend, a young and talented nurse, was among those killed in yesterday's Mill Creek Canyon avalanche. So sad.

Comment

It is all those things. I'm not ashamed to admit I've seen it multiple times (including a sing-along in the Castro District which was hilarious), largely because it's like a mission video for me. I lived within walking distance of most of the filming locations and know the area very well love to visit. We lhad planned to take some kids and grandkids there last summer but COVID intervened. A dream retirement job for me would be to take Americans on a combo Salzburg/Berchtesgaden tour that would cover all of the Sound of Music sites and Hitler's Eagle's Nest.

I think I've mentioned this before but when a BYU Program Bureau performing group came through Salzburg to perform, they finished with "Edelweiss," which they sang with great passion, expecting the audience to be overcome with emotion. The audience applauded politely but nothing more. A member leaned over and said something to the effect of "Geez, you guys think this our national anthem. We hadn't heard of it until that Julie Andrews movie came through. The song was written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, not Mozart ferevinsakes..."

And I wish I hadn't mentioned the land-locked country quip, which was from a 50+-year-old Mad Magazine parody of the movie. As the board geezer, I should have known better.
                                I think I've mentioned this before but in The Sound of Music in the scenes when the kids are on the lake, in the background you can see two people in white shirts on bicycles. Missionaries.

Comment

Working...
                                X