The best dog breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best dog breed

Around sixty years ago, when I was a little kid, our family got a dog for Christmas. My father brought him in after we were done opening presents. He was a Cocker Spaniel named Rowdy and was about a year old. He was already trained, so he was a fairly wall behaved dog. I had always liked that breed until I became more familiar with others of the breed and found that not all of them are nearly as friendly or well behaved. There is no way I would get a Cocker Spaniel.

When I was about to graduate from high school my dad got an English Springer Spaniel (named Ruffy). He was supposedly for my younger sister, but he was really my dad's dog. Reasonably smart, fairly easy to train (with a knowledgeable owner), and friendly to most people (but not all strangers). I always thought the Springer Spaniel was one of the best dog breeds. A natural pheasant hunter and a terror to neighborhood cats. One of my neighbors has one (not the English variety) which is the most friendly and loving dog I've ever met. I really like that dog.

Decades later, my son lived with a group of guys in college and one had a Border Collie. He liked that dog so much that he got one for himself (named Dexter). You can easily tell that this dog is smarter than the average dog. When he was younger you could play fetch with him and he would fetch the ball and return it right to your feet a hundred times and still be ready for more. Now that he's older, he'll do it a dozen times or so, then stop part way back to rest a bit. But if you tell him to bring it back to you he will - right away. And if he drops it a bit out of reach, you just point at your feet and he'll move the ball closer to you. But he sheds, and needs a lot of exercise. Like, he has to run several miles a day to be happy. He loves the outdoors and the snow.

One of my daughters has a Boston Terrier (named Molly). She's convinced that the Boston is the best breed. Very loving dog and good to keep indoors. But they don't like a lot of exercise and, with that super short nose, they sound like a pig when breathing hard. The Border Collie nose is probably twenty times longer than the Boston Terrier nose. Her dog is trained to go into her kennel when they've had enough of her running around the house.

Another daughter did a lot of research in trying to find the optimal family dog and settled on a Lagotto Romagnolo. This daughter loves all things Italian, having served a mission to Italy, and the Lagotto is an ancient Italian breed. Some people mistake the breed for a Labradoodle - supposedly the Poodle descended from the Lagotto. They don't shed, they're smart, love to dig in dirt or sand, and supposedly are fairly easy to train, but nobody in my daughter's family is very good at dog training. Because they didn't give the dog enough attention, they got a second one to keep it company. I haven't visited them since they have two dogs.

I like dogs, but I don't like taking care of dogs, especially cleaning up after them, so I don't expect to have a dog in my house in the future. But I still wonder which breed I would pick if I changed my mind.

Feel free to present evidence on whatever breed of dog you feel is the best one.

The best dog breed

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I like dogs, but I don't like taking care of dogs, especially cleaning up after them, so I don't expect to have a dog in my house in the future. But I still wonder which breed I would pick if I changed my mind.

Feel free to present evidence on whatever breed of dog you feel is the best one.
    Pass.

Merry Christmas, Scott R Nelson!
    Last edited by Donuthole; 12-25-2020, 02:53 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I love them all, although someone tried to give us a papered basset hound this Christmas, and I drew the line at that one.

Comment

German shepherd is my personal favorite, but it’s got to be one of the smart breeds. Life is too short to deal with dumb dogs. Also, labs are too smelly.

**And I don’t agree with that in the workplace**

Comment

I grew up with vizslas. They were great dogs. Not overly smart and not too aggressive. Great for pheasant hunting. I’d love to have another vizsla if I had enough room for it.

I love our Jack Russell although it barks too much. But it’s fun, smart and very spunky but it can be calm when we are calm.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

You should always get a rescue dog, both for karma and for bragging rights to your friends and family.

But let’s be honest, no one wants to deal with the retraining you have to do with a rescue dog. My personal favorite is a Wheaton Terrier. We’ve had 2 now. Both of them have been even-keeled, not terribly prone to barking, and wonderful trail dogs. They are pretty low maintenance, and they are relatively low on the ‘disease associations with pure breeds’ list. We likely would have gotten one more Wheaton Terrier puppy, but Mrs. NWC wanted a...

...Bouvier, which really is a sweet dog. Very loyal and prone to be protective, but with training she has become more friendly with people coming to the house and on the trail. She is pretty intelligent and craves more human interaction than a Wheaton Terrier. She is a beast of a dog, tipping the scales at 80 lbs (actually smaller than most), and just thick all over. I am amazed at how rough we can play with her, and she takes it all and asks for more. Kind of a bougie breed, but if you’re looking for something unique that not many people have seen, a Bouvier might be your thing.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

And to prove my point about how big Cassie our Bouvier is:

982C73F9-9582-42FB-AEB8-74D05BF7E75D.jpg
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

As someone who has owned show dogs and has been to dozens of dog shows and become familiar with many breeds, I have a lot of first hand knowledge of different breeds. My opinion on the dogs mentioned in this thread: Cocker Spaniels are notorious biters, not aggressive biters but defense biters. Not a good breed if you have young children. Border Collies are one of the smartest breeds you'll find, but they require a ton of exercise. Not a great indoor dog. Boston Terriers have a lot of health problems and pant and pant and pant. Annoying as hell. Don't know anything about the Goombah dog, because it's not an AKC breed. German Shepards are very smart dogs, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you're experienced with dogs. Vizslas are cool, but they also require a ton of exercise. Interesting tidbit about Vizslas...they were originally bred to hunt deer. The technique they were trained to employ was to get underneath the deer and bring it down by the testicles. Or so I've read. Jack Russell terriers are yappy and stubborn. Most terriers are stubborn and they're notorious diggers. Wheaton terriers are cool dogs, and I came very close to owning one. I've owned several different dog breeds, and my favorite was probably our Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I would absolutely not recommend them for most people, but I loved them. I haven't owned a dog in over a dozen years, but I think if I were ever to get dog again, I would probably get a Norwich Terrier or a Havanese.
                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

No one cares about my negative dog attitude. They make your house smell of urine - the problem is you get used to it - and everybody else who comes to your home feels like they got a pencil shoved up their nose. No thanks. Easy pass on filth, and picking up turds.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    No one cares about my negative dog attitude. They make your house smell of urine - the problem is you get used to it - and everybody else who comes to your home feels like they got a pencil shoved up their nose. No thanks. Easy pass on filth, and picking up turds.
                    You could say the same thing about kids, and you wouldn’t be too far off...
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                      Wow, that is negative.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        You could say the same thing about kids, and you wouldn’t be too far off...
                        Exactly. I'd much rather dine in a restaurant where children, rather than service animals, were prohibited.
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          Exactly. I'd much rather dine in a restaurant where children, rather than service animals, were prohibited.
                          Why can't it be both?

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            Why can't it be both?
                            The annoyance is not on par. I can never remember being in a restaurant and wishing that a service dog owner would shut their dog up or prevent it from running around the restaurant unsupervised. It happens quite frequently with people's children though. We're far too lax as a country in regulating the allowance of minor children in public.
                            Last edited by Non Sequitur; 12-27-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                              The annoyance is not on par. I can never remember being in a restaurant and wishing that a service dog owner would shut their dog up or prevent it from running around the restaurant unsupervised. It happens quite frequently with people's children though. We're far too lax as a country in regulating the allowance of minor children in public.

Get off my lawn!

Comment

Working...
                              X