Swampfrog's Yellowstone, Teton, Eastern Oregon trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swampfrog's Yellowstone, Teton, Eastern Oregon trip

Time for a new thread. Went with the naturalist from my Oregon thread on an 9 day trip. Saturday 9/12/20 through Sunday 9/20/20. No pictures on the first Saturday. We had planned on stopping a few places on the way to Yellowstone but were trying to get away from forest fire haze. Yellowstone and Tetons (and some of Eastern Oregon) were limited for large scenics because of poor visibility.

As usual, click on any image to get to the original.

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
    I F@*!ING LOVE THIS WATER!!
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Wow

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
        I F@*!ING LOVE THIS WATER!!
        This behavior is not about water...

Comment

Elk late the first evening in Yellowstone.

Mammoth Hot Springs in morning light. (lots to share here)

Comment

More of Mammoth.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Still more from Mammoth Hot Springs. There is quite a bit of variety in the springs and almost endless compositions of lines, shapes, textures, colors, contrast, etc. If I pulled out the macro lens, I could spend 3 more days (well mornings/evenings) there.

Comment

Still more from Mammoth Hot Springs. There is quite a bit of variety in the springs and almost endless compositions of lines, shapes, textures, colors, contrast, etc. If I pulled out the macro lens, I could spend 3 more days (well mornings/evenings) there.
                    Nice shots. I found the subject matter to be particularly impossible to capture on camera. Yours come much closer than mine though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      Nice shots. I found the subject matter to be particularly impossible to capture on camera. Yours come much closer than mine though.
                      There's still nothing like wandering around these places in person. These kind of places are probably better captured in video, especially if you can get permission to fly a drone around the place.

Comment

Comment

There's still nothing like wandering around these places in person. These kind of places are probably better captured in video, especially if you can get permission to fly a drone around the place.
                          I tried taking video (with my phone) of that spot on the very north end of it all, and it looks like the ground is moving or something. Didn't even come close.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            I tried taking video (with my phone) of that spot on the very north end of it all, and it looks like the ground is moving or something. Didn't even come close.
                            Probably would need something stabilized (gimbal or similar). Your eyes can move from taking in the total grandeur in the minute detail nearly instantaneously, so it's hard to capture in an image, or even a series of images. My collection from this two hours of shooting is probably 50-75 unique images ranging from grand vistas to small features, but I didn't do the really wide view from afar, nor did I pull out the macro lens to capture some of the detailed textures. So much of the thermal features are about sounds, smells, and temperature in addition to the visuals that it makes representing it in a photo a contraction of the full experience.

Comment

Going back to a smaller format, I was posting 1600 x 1067, but unless that was maximized on a 1920 x 1080 screen, it was applying browser scaling. 4k monitors looked great, but anything less was lacking crispness. Going back to 1279 x 853 (which Smugmug offers as a sharing size directly encoding the bbcode for me). One should still stretch the browser until the images stop scaling for best viewing.

Comment

Working...
                              X