Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brag about your city, or your hometown. (Mine is better than yours)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was just back in my small hometown. Everyone wears these and calls them "J-slips." I couldn't figure out why, until they explained it is short for "Jesus slippers."

pali-dk-brown.jpg

No truth to the rumor that Kiwis named them "Jandals" after Jesus Sandals. That is a lie and is short for "Japanese Sandals."

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      Was just back in my small hometown. Everyone wears these and calls them "J-slips." I couldn't figure out why, until they explained it is short for "Jesus slippers."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10566[/ATTACH]

No truth to the rumor that Kiwis named them "Jandals" after Jesus Sandals. That is a lie and is short for "Japanese Sandals."

You should use more lotion on your feet - you made quite the impression on the soft leather.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

We used to be the fastest grown city (Boise/Meridian combined) in the nation. Now our housing prices are going up faster than anywhere else:
        https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...251914958.html

Everyone knows the Boise housing market has surged in recent years. Rents here are rising at the fastest pace in the nation. Now a new report says our house-sale prices are the fastest-rising in the country, too.
        My daughter just closed on their new house in Meridian a week ago. The same house from the same builder now costs $150K more than when they signed up for it in September. They feel lucky to even have a house around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
          We used to be the fastest grown city (Boise/Meridian combined) in the nation. Now our housing prices are going up faster than anywhere else:
          https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...251914958.html

My daughter just closed on their new house in Meridian a week ago. The same house from the same builder now costs $150K more than when they signed up for it in September. They feel lucky to even have a house around here.
          I blame it on all the Californians moving there.

Apparently no one can get concrete in Utah. One builder was up against a deadline and ended up getting cement from Vegas for a project in Draper. The last time I was in Utah I noticed about five foundation holes dug waiting for concrete.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

I blame it on all the Californians moving there everywhere.

Apparently no one can get concrete in Utah. One builder was up against a deadline and ended up getting cement from Vegas for a project in Draper. The last time I was in Utah I noticed about five foundation holes dug waiting for concrete.
            FIFY.

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

It's interesting that Texans, Utahans, and others write of all the Californians moving in as a sure sign everyone is fleeing the Golden State. Certainly, many are--it's hard to resist selling a house at prices ridiculously higher than the original purchase price. But that's happening because (hot take here) prices in California continue to go up, reflecting the overall trend that there are millions of people who want to come to California, not leave it, for some very good reasons (and granted, there are some lousy ones, too). Ted and others like to paint a picture of Californians desperate to leave. But for many/most of us, we're very happy right where we are. We glad you are, too.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                It's interesting that Texans, Utahans, and others write of all the Californians moving in as a sure sign everyone is fleeing the Golden State. Certainly, many are--it's hard to resist selling a house at prices ridiculously higher than the original purchase price. But that's happening because (hot take here) prices in California continue to go up, reflecting the overall trend that there are millions of people who want to come to California, not leave it, for some very good reasons (and granted, there are some lousy ones, too). Ted and others like to paint a picture of Californians desperate to leave. But for many/most of us, we're very happy right where we are. We glad you are, too.
                I should say, I'm thankful for Californians for moving to Central Oregon and driving up the value of my home. The only animosity I have against them is when I can't find parking next to my favorite restaurants
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

LOL - California had total domestic net migration of -200K people in most recent year of data. Ranked #50 out of 50 states. And it's been that way for many years now. If you don't believe me maybe you'll believe the State of Cailfornia: https://lao.ca.gov/LAOEconTax/Article/Detail/265

Home prices are up nationally so that's not a great metric for measure whether people want to live long-term in California. You are free to stay in your progressive paradise for as long as you wish but the domestic migration data supports Ted's take on California more than it supports yours.

Comment

My son just moved there (Monterey).

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

ugh monterey is my dream
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Although my daughter will be moving to nearby Salinas, I’m just gonna go ahead and say she lives in Monterrey.

Can’t wait to visit her. Love that area.
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Not only California but some of the other progressive "utopias" as well... Thanks for the additional representatives!

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

LOL - California had total domestic net migration of -200K people in most recent year of data. Ranked #50 out of 50 states. And it's been that way for many years now. If you don't believe me maybe you'll believe the State of Cailfornia: https://lao.ca.gov/LAOEconTax/Article/Detail/265

Home prices are up nationally so that's not a great metric for measure whether people want to live long-term in California. You are free to stay in your progressive paradise for as long as you wish but the domestic migration data supports Ted's take on California more than it supports yours.
                            I'm not as delusional as you apparently believe (I'm just mildly deranged), but I'm glad I got an LOL. Despite the apparent belief that there has been a mass exodus for years, 2020 marked the first time in over a century that California's population declined, and the primary reason cited for that shrinkage is, in fact, housing prices. If one is able to work remotely during a pandemic, why pay Bay Area rents when one can live comfortably elsewhere. And while net domestic migration will likely remain a small negative (less of a fraction of one percent) indefinitely, I'd guess foreign migration is a very large positive, typically more than offsetting the domestic negative. And I'm not talking about the undocumented; at least in the Bay Area, immigration from China, India, and Taiwan apparently remains robust.

And congrats to JL and NWC for having offspring moving to, shall we say, the Greater Monterey Bay Area. Be sure to stop by on your way when visiting...

Comment

And congrats to JL and NWC for having offspring moving to, shall we say, the Greater Monterey Bay Area. Be sure to stop by on your way when visiting...
                              He ended up getting two job offers in California - both are electric aircraft startups. He took the one in Monterey but the other company is in Palo Alto!

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

He ended up getting two job offers in California - both are electric aircraft startups. He took the one in Monterey but the other company is in Palo Alto!

JOBY?

I thought they were in Santa Cruz...

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X