Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you plant in your garden this year?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    The end result of some of our garden.
    Do you ship?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
      The end result of some of our garden.
      Okay, I'm impressed. We generally do batches of seven pints at one time and have maybe done five batches this year.

      You would have to have some sort of machine to deal with the tomatoes to do that much. How are you going to eat all of that before next year?

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Applejack View Post
        I’ve never heard of that. The biggest problem I have is slugs.

        But fresh tomatoes in the morning? The best!

        This morning’s harvest:

        [ATTACH]10504[/ATTACH]
        You've never heard of tomatoes splitting at the top?

        Comment


        • #64
          This year we decided to just plant flowers in our garden. Didn't do as well as we had hoped with about 1/4 as many flower plants making it from seed to flower as we had hoped. Oh well. In the spring, about a month too late, we had a potato sprouting in our pantry. I cut that up and planted it and now we might get some genuine Idaho potatoes. At least now I know what a potato plant looks like.

          I have three fruit trees too. The apricot tree produced a bunch, but I didn't thin them properly so they were small, but tasted good. The pear tree had exactly one pear. It was good. I just picked the last of the peaches on our peach tree a few minutes ago. I thought we weren't going to get any at all, but there was about a dozen through the middle, hidden in the leaves. I shared most of them with the birds in the area. We let them feed on the top portion, then picked them and cut off that part and ate the rest. Elberta peaches have to be the best tasting one of all. Next year the tree gets covered with a net to keep the birds out. I'm not sharing them in the future.

          Comment


          • #65
            Just finished all of the fruit tree pruning and I can now ignore my garden for another month or so. I'll wait for all of the spring flowers to come up before thinking about what I'll plant this year. We usually have a ton of daffodils and tulips and quite a few crocuses. I planted a few hyacinth bulbs too, but those don't seem to propagate into more bulbs like the other ones do.

            This year I might just have a mix of flowers and vegetables. My wife wants some onions, which are pretty easy to grow. I will NOT plant any zucchini.

            Comment


            • #66
              Rhubarb, two raspberry plants, three blueberry plants, red potatoes, red onions, yellow onions. All stuff that shouldn't die if we get some frost before early May when they tell us we can plant everything else. Little by little I'm switching over to stuff that keeps growing year to year.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                Rhubarb, two raspberry plants, three blueberry plants, red potatoes, red onions, yellow onions. All stuff that shouldn't die if we get some frost before early May when they tell us we can plant everything else. Little by little I'm switching over to stuff that keeps growing year to year.
                I was looking out at my raspberries earlier this week thinking I should get them pruned and ready for the season soon. Maybe this weekend.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment


                • #68
                  Pruned my raspberries today (Joan J - technically a two-crop cane but it's easier to just cut them down and get one crop on each year's new growth). Also planted more strawberries. Peas went in last week and with the crazy warm weather we're having right now that was probably a couple weeks later than it should have been.

                  Tomato seeds started indoors.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    All of the stuff that I planted in late March is doing well except that only five of the six potatoes seem to have come up. Oh well.

                    Yesterday and today I planted the rest of it. A bunch of random flower seeds in a line about 60 feet long. We'll see what actually comes up. Then I went to the local nursery and bought a few more flowers and some vegetables. Spinach, lettuce, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, roma tomatoes, cucumbers and one acorn squash plant. No zucchini this year - or maybe ever again.

                    My drip system will hopefully work well this year. I figured out that the little soaker hoses that they sell both at Lowe's and Home Depot don't work right. But the stuff from D&B Supply works well, so I've replaced it all with that. I'll likely need to tweak it a little bit before everything is right, but I might just get a decent garden this year. Or not, who knows?

                    I just need to get all of the plants to survive the next month and then it should be good.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I got some tomatoes, jalapeños, leeks and eggplant.

                      Will probably start some other things by seed now that the freeze of this week is passed. It was 26 the other morning. It will be 90 here tomorrow. smh

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                        All of the stuff that I planted in late March is doing well except that only five of the six potatoes seem to have come up. Oh well.

                        Yesterday and today I planted the rest of it. A bunch of random flower seeds in a line about 60 feet long. We'll see what actually comes up. Then I went to the local nursery and bought a few more flowers and some vegetables. Spinach, lettuce, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, roma tomatoes, cucumbers and one acorn squash plant. No zucchini this year - or maybe ever again.

                        My drip system will hopefully work well this year. I figured out that the little soaker hoses that they sell both at Lowe's and Home Depot don't work right. But the stuff from D&B Supply works well, so I've replaced it all with that. I'll likely need to tweak it a little bit before everything is right, but I might just get a decent garden this year. Or not, who knows?

                        I just need to get all of the plants to survive the next month and then it should be good.
                        I got a soaker hose from Costco a few years back that worked well for about year and then had lots of problems. I got some different soaker hose from Lowe's that worked well the first year but had several issues last year. Not sure yet if the problem is those specific hoses, soaker hoses in general, or user error.

                        Of course, now I feel like I have to try the hose at D&B.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                          All of the stuff that I planted in late March is doing well except that only five of the six potatoes seem to have come up. Oh well.

                          Yesterday and today I planted the rest of it. A bunch of random flower seeds in a line about 60 feet long. We'll see what actually comes up. Then I went to the local nursery and bought a few more flowers and some vegetables. Spinach, lettuce, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, roma tomatoes, cucumbers and one acorn squash plant. No zucchini this year - or maybe ever again.

                          My drip system will hopefully work well this year. I figured out that the little soaker hoses that they sell both at Lowe's and Home Depot don't work right. But the stuff from D&B Supply works well, so I've replaced it all with that. I'll likely need to tweak it a little bit before everything is right, but I might just get a decent garden this year. Or not, who knows?

                          I just need to get all of the plants to survive the next month and then it should be good.
                          Too early to plant these outside in your area unless you use protection such as wall-o-water or caps or something like that. At this point you still have a 40% chance of a freeze. Spinach and lettuce are cold tolerant and will be fine.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

                            Too early to plant these outside in your area unless you use protection such as wall-o-water or caps or something like that. At this point you still have a 40% chance of a freeze. Spinach and lettuce are cold tolerant and will be fine.
                            If the weather prediction is for cold overnight, I'll go put some blankets on them or something.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                              If the weather prediction is for cold overnight, I'll go put some blankets on them or something.
                              I don't even put blankets on my children. No way am I going to worry about my plants.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X