Airline/Hotel Loyalty Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I take this back. My son and DIL were flying from SFO to Provo yesterday. Flight was delayed 2 hrs. Then again for 3.5 hrs. Then cancelled. By this time it was late, so they put them up in a hotel in SF so they could catch a flight today. Now they just texted us and said that today's flight is delayed.

Sounds like a maintenance issue and not a lot of aircraft inventory or margin to deal with it. Probably need to factor this risk in when deciding who to fly with.

Comment

• Yeah, Breeze and Allegiant (and Spirit and Frontier) are a real you-know-what when it comes to cancellations.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I love the Provo airport. So convenient.
        Agreed. I’ve only flown through it once (round trip) but it was very easy. Allegiant did a decent job with the flight but I’d likely never fly them other than direct.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Sounds like a maintenance issue and not a lot of aircraft inventory or margin to deal with it. Probably need to factor this risk in when deciding who to fly with.
          And delayed twice again today. Bloody hell.

He said the problem yesterday was one of the flight attendants never showed up.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

And delayed twice again today. Bloody hell.

He said the problem yesterday was one of the flight attendants never showed up.
            That was an issue for us on a different carrier last spring.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

OK, I decided to jump back the credit card game-the-system crowd. I signed up for a SkyMiles Amex where I get 75K miles if I spend $3K in the first few months (already done). Then today I got a SkyMiles Platinum Business Amex where I get 95K miles if I spend $4K in the first 3 months. A cool 170K miles to play with.

I will have well over 300K miles. I need to plan some trips.
              We should have a repository of referral links so that if there's a card one of us wants to get, at least one member of our little clan is also benefitting from it. I'll start with a summary of some of the current promotions and benefits of the cards in my wallet for which I can get a referral (click on the linked card name to apply for the card):

Chase Ink Business Preferred - 100,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points after spending $15,000 in first 3 months; 3x UR points on travel, postage/shipping, social media advertising, internet, cable, and phone services; 1x points on other spending; points earned by other cards can be transferred into the UR account for this card and each UR point on this card is worth 1.25 cents in purchasing power in Chase portal (25% bonus); $95 annual fee

Chase Ink Business Unlimited - 75,000 bonus UR points after spending $6,000 in first 3 months; 1.5x UR points on all purchases; no annual fee

Chase Ink Business Cash - 75,000 bonus UR points after spending $6,000 in first 3 months; 5x UR points on purchases on internet, cable, phone, office supply stores; 2x UR points on gasoline and restaurants; 1x UR points on other spending; no annual fee

Chase Freedom Card - 20,000 bonus UR points after spending $500 in first 3 months; 5x UR points on rotating bonus categories each quarter; 1x points on other spending; no annual fee

Chase Freedom Unlimited (I don't have this one, but I'm trying the same link as the other Freedom Card) - 20,000 bonus UR points after spending $50 in first three months; 1.5x UR points on all purchases; no annual fee

United Business Card - 75,000 bonus United MileagePlus miles after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months; 2x MP miles on United spending, dining, gasoline, office supply stores, and local transit; 1x MP miles on other spending; 2 United Club passes annually; free checked bag for holder and companion; unlocks additional award availability; $99 annual fee/waived for first year

Chase Amazon Prime Card - 5% cash back on all purchases at Amazon.com or Whole Foods; 2% cash back at restaurants, drugstores, and gas stations; 1% cash back on other spending; no annual fee

To qualify for the business cards, you don't have to be (wholly) self-employed. A side gig could be enough to qualify you - something as simple as collecting some extra cash on the weekends doing welding for friends and family.

Many card companies, including Chase, will automatically decline you if you've opened up 5 or more new card accounts within the previous 24 months (known as the 5/24 rule). So you want to be judicious in which accounts you open to make sure that the juice is worth the squeeze. Luckily, business cards usually aren't considered for the 5/24 rule.

Chase Ultimate Rewards points (along with American Express Membership Rewards) are pretty much the most valuable loyalty rewards currency. Their best use is generally transferring them as needed to airline or hotel transfer partners for specific award spots. They can also be used in the Chase Travel Portal.

Your spending strategy doesn't have to be this complex (though it can also be much more intricate). In general, when I first get a card, I put all my spending on it to make sure I get the bonus points/miles. After the bonus has been earned, I revert to using whichever card gets me the most points for the purchase. For example, I only use the Chase Amazon Prime Card for Amazon purchases. I use the Chase Ink Business Cash card for internet, phone, cable, and office supply store purchases since I get 5x Ultimate Rewards points. I use the Chase Ink Business Preferred for any travel, postage, or social media advertising to take advantage of the 3x UR points. All the non-bonus category spending goes on the Chase Ink Business Unlimited since it gets 1.5x points instead of just 1x like the other cards.

I just got the United Business Card approval today. I don't anticipate using this card a lot for a couple different reasons. First, it provides MileagePlus miles instead of Ultimate Rewards points. UR points are more valuable than MP miles. Second, the bonus categories are not particularly exciting. I don't anticipate racking up a lot of United purchases, and even if I did, it would generally be wiser for me to use the Chase Ink Business Preferred to get 3x UR points instead of 2x MP miles. Some of the benefits that spurred me to apply: 1) It unlocks the same award availability than is available to the elite MP members without having to obtain elite status 2) It makes upgrades more likely for me and my travelling companion(s) 3) It opens up access to Chase's Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection. I'm skeptical that there will be any properties in the Collection that would be considered a bargain, but I couldn't see the options at all without the card, so now I'll be able to see the options there, at least. So there are some benefits to the card, including the 75k bonus miles with very little risk since the $99 fee is waived for the first year.

I also have the CitiBank Costco Card, which I use for 4% cash back on gasoline and 2% cash back on other Costco purchases. Unfortunately, I didn't see any referral bonus links there.

So what cards do you all have? Don't forget to include referral links where available so you can rack up some free rewards by all us suckers following your example.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I love the flexibility of AMEX points. It pays to keep a bunch of them on hand to cover shortages for rewards from other travel partners for a given redemption. You'll find that occasionally there's a transfer bonus that gets you more points than the normal exchange rate with a particular partner. I try to hold most of my points for those windows of opportunity to get more value out of the points.

I like to spend a little time seeing how much things cost from time to time so I can recognize a good value ticket or hotel option when I see them.
                One such window just opened up. Thru the end of April, you get 30% more points when you transfer to Hilton Honors. I've found good value in Hilton hotels in the UK.

Comment

• Following Pelado's lead, here are the AMEX cards I use:

AMEX Platinum - $200 airline credit, $100 Saks credit ($50 every six months), $20/month Digital Entertainment credit (Audible, Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, NYT), AMEX global lounges, Walmart+, $15/month Uber credit, Centurian Lounge, $189 CLEAR Credit, Global Entry/TSA Precheck credit, cell phone insurance. I also use the rental car insurance ($25 fee) occasionally--mostly for overseas travel.

80,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
                  AMEX Gold - You get $10 towards Uber each month. I got this for the bonus points. I'll probably close it after a year.

60,000 Membership Rewards® points after they use their new Card to make $4,000 in purchases within their first 6 months of Card Membership. Plus, if they apply for this Card by 06/07/2023, they can receive up to $200 back as statement credits on purchases during the first 3 months of Card Membership.
                  AMEX Hilton Aspire - I love this card. It comes with Diamond status which has been good to me with upgrades and food credits. You're given a free night certificate after opening, and another one each anniversary year, good at almost all Hiltons world-wide. Last fall the missus and I stayed at Hotel Coronado for four nights with the free nights between the two of us. You also get a $250 Resort credit each year. Again, between the two of us, we used our resort credits and food credits for a total of $620 credits between the two of us. You also get a $250 airline credit.

150,000 Hilton Honors Bonus points after they use their new Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card to make $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
                  There are also other Hilton branded AMEX cards at lower levels. I've used all of them for the bonus points. When redeeming points, your fifth night is free.

AMEX Delta Reserve - Delta companion certificate each year up to domestic first class, upgrade priority, first checked bag free, Skyclub access + two certificates for companions each year, cell phone insurance, Global Entry/TSA Precheck credit. I got it for the bonus points. Not sure the annual fee is worth the benefits. But since AMEX waives my fees, who am I to argue?

50,000 Bonus Miles & 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after they use their new Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
                  AMEX Delta Platinum - Most of the same benefits as the Reserve card. The yearly companion certificate is good for Main Cabin tickets.

50,000 Bonus Miles after they use their new Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
                  There's also a Delta Gold card.

AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant - $25/month dining credit, Platinum status, free night award each year, Priority Pass membership, Global Entry/TSA Precheck credit, cell phone insurance.

95,000 Bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after they use their new Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
                  I also use Chase IHG Premiere. Global Entry/TSA Precheck, annual free night, 4th night is free when redeeming points, platinum status--as we speak, we're sitting in a suite at Hotel Monaco, upgraded from whatever king room comes with a points redemption.
                  Last edited by Bo Diddley; 04-01-2023, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• Holy crap. That’s a lot of cards!
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Holy crap. That’s a lot of cards!
                      Well I didn't list them all. Pelado already talked about some of them.

Comment

• Bo - does AMEX waive the annual fee for all of your cards? I'd like to get the AMEX Platinum or Platinum Business card, but I'm not sure I'd get enough benefit to justify the $695 fee for either. I might have to look at that Hilton card.
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          Bo - does AMEX waive the annual fee for all of your cards? I'd like to get the AMEX Platinum or Platinum Business card, but I'm not sure I'd get enough benefit to justify the $695 fee for either. I might have to look at that Hilton card.
                          Yes they do. The bonus points should help offset the fee that first year. Then if you decide it doesn't make sense, just cancel at the anniversary. You can also downgrade to a cheaper card within the category (Platinum to Gold, Hilton Aspire to one of the cheaper ones, etc.) But, that won't make sense unless you've already scored the bonus points from the card you want to downgrade to. Some of these cards I'll cancel, but I really like the Platinum and the HIlton Aspire cards. And I'll probably keep at least one Delta card.

Comment

Yes they do. The bonus points should help offset the fee that first year. Then if you decide it doesn't make sense, just cancel at the anniversary. You can also downgrade to a cheaper card within the category (Platinum to Gold, Hilton Aspire to one of the cheaper ones, etc.) But, that won't make sense unless you've already scored the bonus points from the card you want to downgrade to. Some of these cards I'll cancel, but I really like the Platinum and the HIlton Aspire cards. And I'll probably keep at least one Delta card.
                            Yeah, that Hilton card carries a $450 annual fee, so no wonder the benefits are generous.
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Looks like your link on the Delta Reserve card actually goes to the AMEX Gold card.
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Looks like your link on the Delta Reserve card actually goes to the AMEX Gold card.
                                Fixed. They were all going to the AMEX Gold when I was getting the links from my account. And there's no referral to the Platinum right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X