Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All I Want for Christmas is...hmmm. No idea - what do YOU want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I Want for Christmas is...hmmm. No idea - what do YOU want?

Or - maybe it's something you've already got, even.

Seems like every year my wife tells me the kids are asking what to get me for Christmas. They're all still just starting out or in school - I don't want them to spend much on me, and they probably don't have much to spend anyway. But it seems like I'm always at a loss of what to tell them.

What are some cool gadgets you've got in the <$100 range (closer to $50 is even better) that I should consider telling my kids to pool their money and buy for me? Most stuff I need in that range, I just go out and buy it if I need it. Which makes it hard to come up with stuff I "need".

So - this is the thread to throw out ideas of cool little items you didn't know you needed that the rest of us can pass off as gift ideas for kids, spouses, and others.

Similarly, my wife asks what I want for Christmas/birthday/etc. If I ask her to get things for me, she'll almost invariably pick the wrong version/model/etc. And it seems so cheesy to send the Amazon link for the exact thing I want. So I typically just get the things I want myself.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

There are always accessories for some hobby or another. So with grilling/smoking/bbq, candidates might include the latest nifty mean thermometer, rib rack, grill basket, oversized spatula, chicketn throne, etc. This year I might ask for gloves to handle meat being moved to/from the grill (I have old ones that are getting really stiff) or a meat injector. For skiing, I think about any of my current gear that might need replacing, from skis/boots to glove, coat, pants, helmet, etc. Short of any of these, I look to see if there are any other cool toys out there. A portable battery pack for charging phones has come in handy from time to time.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I think I want some of those running headphone that don't go in the ear, but resonate with the bones in your head for you to hear the music. But I am not sure how well it would work with audiobooks, since that is mostly what I listen to when I run.

This is the expensive version. https://www.amazon.com/Shokz-OpenRun...09BVXT8TJ?th=1

Comment

BYU gear has been an easy go to. I could use a new phone holder for my car.

Comment

world peace
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              world peace
              He said <$100.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

He said <$100.
                It wasn't capitalized.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  world peace
                  You want that with some sweet vermouth on the rocks with a twist?

Comment

I don't need anything. I don't want anything.

Give me a nice quiet day with weather warm enough to take a motorcycle out for a ride for an hour and I'm good.

Comment

Sorry for the reposting this, but the following is from six years ago and we're still doing this. The grandkids are getting older and submitting their own reports, and reading through the binder reports from previous years is one of our favorite Christmastime activities.

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      We told our kids that instead of tangible gifts (we really don’t need any more stuff), we wanted them to devote the time and/or money they would have spent on us to some act of service, and send us a paragraph summary of what they had done. This turned out even better than we had hoped. Each of the six kids did some really cool things, and those with kids got them heavily involved, which they apparently loved. Even the boyfriend/girlfriends of our unmarried kids really got into it.

I’ll mention just a couple of things… PH and his daughter talked to their kids about how a lot of people can’t be home with their families on Christmas day because they’re doing things to help and protect us (e.g., people in the armed services, hospital staffs, police, etc.). So they put together a basket of goodies and visited the local fire station where they surprised the firefighters but received a very enthusiastic welcome. They were given a tour of the station which the grandkids absolutely loved. The PH family also did a few other very generous acts and their kids have really gotten into the service thing.

Our youngest got together with a couple of other friends, all of whom have the latest in video games and equipment. By prior arrangement they took their gaming rigs to Primary Children’s Hospital where they spent the afternoon and evening teaching a lot of kids between the ages of 5 and 14 how to play various games and letting them go at it for hours. Some of the kids had never played any kind of video game and they were euphoric.

The write-ups from each of our kids and their counterparts are a terrific gift for us. I’ll get my own ties and golf balls.

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          I think I want some of those running headphone that don't go in the ear, but resonate with the bones in your head for you to hear the music. But I am not sure how well it would work with audiobooks, since that is mostly what I listen to when I run.

This is the expensive version. https://www.amazon.com/Shokz-OpenRun...09BVXT8TJ?th=1
                          Thanks for posting. For w while after getting my Airpod Pros, I ran with them, but while pretty secure, occasionally one would get loose, and also, after a few months, both of mine went bad, so I convinced my self that I have super-corrosive sweat.

So I've gone back to running with wired, which is not ideal, especially with the stupid dongle and multiple failure points.

I remember seeing these posted somewhere a while back, and have been thinking of finding them again. Just bought these. We'll see how they work.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

Thanks for posting. For w while after getting my Airpod Pros, I ran with them, but while pretty secure, occasionally one would get loose, and also, after a few months, both of mine went bad, so I convinced my self that I have super-corrosive sweat.

So I've gone back to running with wired, which is not ideal, especially with the stupid dongle and multiple failure points.

I remember seeing these posted somewhere a while back, and have been thinking of finding them again. Just bought these. We'll see how they work.
                            Let me know how well they work.

I'm thinking they would be good for when i ref soccer as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X