Cautionary Tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cautionary Tales

Too busy to even commute, and home with my soon to be college-bound son, I decided to order us a nice lunch. Opened my DoorDash app and was pleased to see a whole array of interesting new restaurants I'd not known of before. I settled on a Taiwanese place, and ordered $75 worth of enticing food. Was pleasantly surprised at the shorter than usual delivery time.

The customary texts come, and finally, driver is approaching. He phones me, Alabama number, which is not unusual. Says he's arrived and waiting to meet me. Weird. Just leave it I say. I go outside, not a sign of anyone. No bag of food on the porch. I start barking at the driver, he's at the wrong place. He is in fact not at my house. Turns out he can hardly speak a word of English. Frustrating!

Suddenly a sickening feeling. I realize he's in Philadelphia and I'm in Seattle. My HS age daughter has been with mom on the east coast on a work trip, and apparently ordering DoorDash to the hotel. Unfortunately, they've checked out.

There really should be a pop up warning you're not ordering from where you're calling.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

What did you end up getting for dinner after everything was said and done?

Comment

I ate leftovers. Told him to fend for himself, walk to the store. I was too demsralized. But picked up a pizza for him tonight on my walk.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Now I’m wondering if you or fusnik are the oldest people on this board. This is seriously something my late 70s dad would do and he’s in the verge of having dementia.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Now I’m wondering if you or fusnik are the oldest people on this board. This is seriously something my late 70s dad would do and he’s in the verge of having dementia.
          Only on the verge? Sounds like your dad's not quite as advanced in age as SU.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Ha! I did something similar a few years ago. I ordered carry out pizza from Papa Murphy’s. When I got there they could not find my order. I had ordered it from a restaurant in Washington state with a similar name.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

old people are so adorable!
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Hey I’m old too!

I parked downtown and entered some money in a parking app. Didn’t realize I had put it in my default car, and I was driving my wife’s truck

at least I got the discounted price paying the fee online.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

I'm not hip enough to use this new fangled Doordash app.

Comment

This happens regularly with my MIL. She splits her year between Colorado and Texas. I have made it a routine to walk by her Texas house on my daily morning walks so I can pick up the packages she orders from Amazon and mistakenly has delivered to her Texas address rather than her Colorado address where she is currently residing.
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                      This happens regularly with my MIL. She splits her year between Colorado and Texas. I have made it a routine to walk by her Texas house on my daily morning walks so I can pick up the packages she orders from Amazon and mistakenly has delivered to her Texas address rather than her Colorado address where she is currently residing.

I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        Too busy to even commute, and home with my soon to be college-bound son, I decided to order us a nice lunch. Opened my DoorDash app and was pleased to see a whole array of interesting new restaurants I'd not known of before. I settled on a Taiwanese place, and ordered $75 worth of enticing food. Was pleasantly surprised at the shorter than usual delivery time.

The customary texts come, and finally, driver is approaching. He phones me, Alabama number, which is not unusual. Says he's arrived and waiting to meet me. Weird. Just leave it I say. I go outside, not a sign of anyone. No bag of food on the porch. I start barking at the driver, he's at the wrong place. He is in fact not at my house. Turns out he can hardly speak a word of English. Frustrating!

Suddenly a sickening feeling. I realize he's in Philadelphia and I'm in Seattle. My HS age daughter has been with mom on the east coast on a work trip, and apparently ordering DoorDash to the hotel. Unfortunately, they've checked out.

There really should be a pop up warning you're not ordering from where you're calling.
                        lol. What a fuckin' moron.

Comment

Pretty sure you have to confirm address of delivery. And it also gives you the address of the place you order from...
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                          X