Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A simple question about what you would do…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple question about what you would do…

I’ve been thinking about a scenario I witnessed almost daily for the last month, I just want to know what other adults would think/do:

You use a bread knife to cut 12 white hoagie rolls. That’s the only thing you used the knife for, 12 quick cuts of white bread. You don’t touch the blade with your hands, only touch the handle, no using the knife to spread condiments, just cuts down the middle of bread.

After completing this task do you return the bread knife to the drawer? Wipe it with a paper towel and return it? Run it under some water and return it? Or full on soap and warm water/dishwasher cycle?

Is this at my house or at the office breakroom/kitchen?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

It gets set aside for cleaning, unless I have another use for it right away.

Comment

At my house I'd put it back unless there is food visibly stuck to it.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Home I put it in dishwasher immediately after done, purely out of habit.... and fear my wife might be watching

Work. Maybe I wipe it down, but either way its cutting at least 60 rolls between washes.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

Home I put it in dishwasher immediately after done, purely out of habit.... and fear my wife might be watching

Work. Maybe I wipe it down, but either way its cutting at least 60 rolls between washes.
            Ha! My wife would kill me putting any knife besides table knives in the dishwasher.

I would be washing it with soap and water by hand.

For me the issue isn't how many cuts to goes through. It is the time that it sits between cuts where things can grow on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Non work. Either home or in a vacation home.

Comment

Run it under some water and wipe off the prints w a paper towel, return it to the block.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Run it under some water and wipe off the prints w a paper towel, return it to the block drawer.
                  At home, for sure. If i'm in a vacation home, where I'm probably going to have to run a load of dishes before we leave, i'll probably drop it in the dishwasher rack.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

Ha! My wife would kill me putting any knife besides table knives in the dishwasher.

I would be washing it with soap and water by hand.

For me the issue isn't how many cuts to goes through. It is the time that it sits between cuts where things can grow on it.
                    Sorta on team Mrs BT. Get annoyed my kids if they put notes in the regular silverware rack versus knife holder my dishwasher has

Comment

I’m a big believer in the power of stomach acid. Did you know the pH of your stomach hovers around 2 constantly? Powerful enough to kill anything that may grow on the bread particles that may be adherent to the knife.

anyways my bread knife goes right back in the knife holder after a cursory wipe with whatever rag is close.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

It's situational - if I'm all by myself cutting rolls - I swipe the blade on my shirt and put it back in the drawer. If the wife is in the kitchen at the same time - I put it in the sink. If relatives are around - I wash it with soap and dry with a towel and put back in the drawer.

My wife will be mad at all three actions.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

run it under some hot water, wipe it off and put it back.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                            I’ve been thinking about a scenario I witnessed almost daily for the last month, I just want to know what other adults would think/do:

You use a bread knife to cut 12 white hoagie rolls. That’s the only thing you used the knife for, 12 quick cuts of white bread. You don’t touch the blade with your hands, only touch the handle, no using the knife to spread condiments, just cuts down the middle of bread.

After completing this task do you return the bread knife to the drawer? Wipe it with a paper towel and return it? Run it under some water and return it? Or full on soap and warm water/dishwasher cycle?
                            Wipe with paper towel and return it.

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              I’m a big believer in the power of stomach acid. Did you know the pH of your stomach hovers around 2 constantly? Powerful enough to kill anything that may grow on the bread particles that may be adherent to the knife.

anyways my bread knife goes right back in the knife holder after a cursory wipe with whatever rag is close.
                              So where is a good line to draw? Obviously our stomach is great and all but food poisoning is real.

Here’s another scenario. You cut cheese with a knife. Leave the knife on the counter overnight and want to cut cheese again. Do you use the same knife without washing it.

You scoop potato salad out of a container with a spoon. The next day you use the same spoon to dish you out some more.

Comment

Working...
                              X