Bucket list...what's on yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucket list...what's on yours?

Dabrockster mentioned that one of his bucket list items was to swim with sharks, so I thought maybe we could turn this into a thread and have some fun.

Inspired by an episode of Ellen, my wife has actually written her's down. And I have to say, I was rather entertained reading it (#1 was to feed raw meat to lions! ha!).

I've never put much thought to this, so I can't say that I have much right now. But, some things I would like to do:

- See Radiohead headline at Glastonbury (the sucky part is that tickets for Glasto go on sell before you know who the headliners are)
    - Drink Scotch in Scotland (I feel this is the best way to connect with my ancestors)
    - Visit Buenos Aires
    - Take sailing lessons (and sail around the San Juans)
    - Do an LLM in tax
    - Sit courtside at a Jazz game
    - Live abroad for a period of time
    - Eat at The French Laundry (or in the alternative Per Se, with Alinea running a close second)
    - Finish the Brothers Karamazov (which I've started like five times)
    - Buy a record player and have an awesome collection of vinyl
    - Run a marathon
    - Read Desolation Angels and then hike Desolation Peak to check out the post where Kerouac wrote a portion of it
    - Go to a game at Fenway before it comes down (and rediscover my love for baseball in general)
    - Own season tickets to BYU football
    - Ski Whistler (which I've wanted to do since I was a kid, and will hopefully do this winter)

Anyway, let's hear yours!
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Dabrockster mentioned that one of his bucket list items was to swim with sharks, so I thought maybe we could turn this into a thread and have some fun.

Inspired by an episode of Ellen, my wife has actually written her's down. And I have to say, I was rather entertained reading it (#1 was to feed raw meat to lions! ha!).

I've never put much thought to this, so I can't say that I have much right now. But, some things I would like to do:

- See Radiohead headline at Glastonbury (the sucky part is that tickets for Glasto go on sell before you know who the headliners are)
    - Drink Scotch in Scotland (I feel this is the best way to connect with my ancestors)
    - Visit Buenos Aires
    - Take sailing lessons (and sail around the San Juans)
    - Do an LLM in tax
    - Sit courtside at a Jazz game
    - Live abroad for a period of time
    - Eat at The French Laundry (or in the alternative Per Se, with Alinea running a close second)
    - Finish the Brothers Karamazov (which I've started like five times)
    - Buy a record player and have an awesome collection of vinyl
    - Run a marathon
    - Read Desolation Angels and then hike Desolation Peak to check out the post where Kerouac wrote a portion of it
    - Go to a game at Fenway before it comes down (and rediscover my love for baseball in general)
    - Own season tickets to BYU football
    - Ski Whistler (which I've wanted to do since I was a kid, and will hopefully do this winter)

Anyway, let's hear yours!
    I am nagged by the feeling that one of those just doesnt seem to fit
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Take a bunch golf lessons from Butch Harmon

Golf the top 10 or 20 of these

http://courses.golf.com/top-courses-...rses-2009.html
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I guess I should have used the search function before starting my thread. Oh well.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

The only one I have is to see my kids to adulthood.

Comment

Run the Boston Marathon
            Compete in a triatholon
            Sing at the Bluebird Cafe
            Have a website that is recognized and used industry-wide
            Go salmon fishing in Alaska
            Be featured in a CNBC story
            sigpic
            "Outlined against a blue, gray
            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
              Run the Boston Marathon
              Compete in a triatholon
              Sing at the Bluebird Cafe
              Have a website that is recognized and used industry-wide
              Go salmon fishing in Alaska
              Be featured in a CNBC story
              Geez, way to aim high. They'll let any schulb appear on CNBC as an "expert."
              There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
              Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
              And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                Geez, way to aim high. They'll let any schulb appear on CNBC as an "expert."
                It's schlub, and let's see you do it.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

He;s already done it. Havent you ever seen those schulbs waving signs in the background on the ground floor studios? He was even on the today show!
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

--Pay off my student loans
                    --Spend a month living in, Buenos Aires, Santiago de Chile, Santiago de Compostela, Brisbane, Pago Pago, Andorra la Vella, Edinburgh, Zarcero, Belo Horizonte, Mérida, Austin, Apalachicola, and Singapore.
                    --Shoot skeet with a Beretta 682 Gold E Trap.
                    --Visit Pitcairn Island
                    --Visit Norfolk Island
                    --Scuba dive in Belize
                    --Take an around the world cruise that visits every continent (I'd love to do a year at sea while teaching students.)
                    --drive a bulldozer
                    --publish a book on Borges and Religion
                    --<redacted>
                    --install Mayan hammock hooks in my bedroom, and use them.
                    --See a baseball game with my son at every MLB park.
                    --Bring the Avett Brothers to Coker College for a concert.
                    --find a way to live and work in New Orleans again. I can't shake the place, and neither can my wife.
                    --write a novel.
                    --make my movie about being a pizza delivery boy (working title: Extra Cheese)
                    --Go snook fishing in Costa Rica
                    --learn how to frame things (like to hang on the wall) and make them look professional.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I know, I guess that's why they made texting and driving illegal. As for getting on CNBC I could but I choose not to.
                      There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                      Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                      And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

If I made a big list of all the thing that I would really like to do I will either be majorly disappointed because I can't really do them, or I would have to retire now and live like a poor person after blowing through all of my retirement money during the next five years. I've tried to explain to my kids that they would each only have to have us live with them for two months out of the year, but they're not too receptive to that idea.

I suppose I've already achieved a bunch of things that were on my list from way back, like getting a paper accepted at a major technical conference, organizing and teaching a course at the same, getting a number of patents, and getting a chip produced that was mostly of my design. Plus I've managed to travel to a lot of interesting places. I would love to go around the world, but don't see how to finance that one. I would love to drive to every state in the USA in one big trip too, but I don't see how to finance that one either. I'm overdue for another more local road trip. At least I did one that made it to all 11 western states plus Canada.

Oh, and all of my kids have college degrees, so that one's out of the way too.

I think my list would look a lot like the same list I would make for winning the lottery for more than $10M.

Comment

Interesting topic. I need to give this some more thought, but here is a start:

1) Tour Italy, including Rome and Venice
                          2) Visit Israel
                          3) Visit Egypt
                          4) Do a safari in Africa, including a hike up Kilimanjaro
                          5) Do a dive trip to the Truk Lagoon
                          6) Do a tour of Civil War battle sites
                          7) Tour all of the best slot canyons in Southern Utah
                          8) Go on a restaurant tour of LA with Triplet Daddy
                          9) Re-baptize SU in the Puget Sound
                          10) Own a winter home/condo in San Diego
                          11) Build up an FU account that allows me to work on my schedule and travel as much as I want
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            --Pay off my student loans
                            --Spend a month living in, Buenos Aires, Santiago de Chile, Santiago de Compostela, Brisbane, Pago Pago, Andorra la Vella, Edinburgh, Zarcero, Belo Horizonte, Mérida, Austin, Apalachicola, and Singapore.
                            --Shoot skeet with a Beretta 682 Gold E Trap.
                            --Visit Pitcairn Island
                            --Visit Norfolk Island
                            --Scuba dive in Belize
                            --Take an around the world cruise that visits every continent (I'd love to do a year at sea while teaching students.)
                            --drive a bulldozer
                            --publish a book on Borges and Religion
                            --<redacted>
                            --install Mayan hammock hooks in my bedroom, and use them.
                            --See a baseball game with my son at every MLB park.
                            --Bring the Avett Brothers to Coker College for a concert.
                            --find a way to live and work in New Orleans again. I can't shake the place, and neither can my wife.
                            --write a novel.
                            --make my movie about being a pizza delivery boy (working title: Extra Cheese)
                            --Go snook fishing in Costa Rica
                            --learn how to frame things (like to hang on the wall) and make them look professional.
                            Belo Horizonte is beautiful. I served there. I would love to live there for a month as well.
                            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

I'd kind of like to go to Dayton, Ohio. I don't know why, I just do.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                              X