Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Jan. 27 launch event... what will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Looks kind of like a computer mouse.
      That was my first thought.

Comment

• RIP lightning cables.
        https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladit...h=76ec6efabcde
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
          good news

Comment

Yay! Way to go, Europe. About time.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

good news
              Great news. I'm due for an upgrade but that almost makes me want to hold out for another 6 months.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Does anyone believe Apple's claims that the reason that they are against this is because of the amount of electronic waste it would create with people having to replace lightning cables?

Like everyone else, I think this is great news.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Does anyone believe Apple's claims that the reason that they are against this is because of the amount of electronic waste it would create with people having to replace lightning cables?
                  No. The net positive impact will be huge.

Apple already switched to USB-C on iPads and MacBooks. I have never understood the reluctance to switch on iPhones and AirPods, other than to make money. After all the dongle hell that Apple has inflicted on us over the years, this is beautiful karma.
                  Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 10-27-2022, 01:13 PM.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

No. The next positive impact will be huge.

Apple already switched to USB-C on iPads and MacBooks. I have never understood the reluctance to switch on iPhones and AirPods, other than to make money. After all the dongle hell that Apple has inflicted on us over the years, this is beautiful karma.
                    I don't get it other than a cash grab. I guess though that they have to find some way to justify it other than that.

Lightning cables suck in comparison to USB-C. I know that there are people that are going to be annoyed that it was government action that force it, but I sincerely doubt you will find very many people out there upset that they are losing the lightning charger.

Now the EU needs to kill off the USB-A ports. Just saying.
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I don't get it other than a cash grab. I guess though that they have to find some way to justify it other than that.

Lightning cables suck in comparison to USB-C. I know that there are people that are going to be annoyed that it was government action that force it, but I sincerely doubt you will find very many people out there upset that they are losing the lightning charger.

Now the EU needs to kill off the USB-A ports. Just saying.
                      Agreed.

Comment

• Apple fanboys and girls... save those tax returns:

Apple Sets June 5 WWDC Where It Plans Mixed-Reality Headset Debut
                        • Company announces that WWDC will be held from June 5 to June 9
                        • Apple is set to unveil first mixed-reality headset and new iOS
                        Apple Inc. set a June 5 date for the event where it plans to unveil a mixed-reality headset, the first major new product since its smartwatch debuted eight years ago.
                        The company scheduled its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, better known as WWDC, to kick off on that Monday and run through Friday, June 9. It typically uses the first day of the conference to discuss its next-generation platforms and operating systems. This year’s conference will be held as an “all-day experience” at headquarters in Cupertino, California.
                        [...]
                        The device’s debut will propel Apple into the world of mixed-reality, a still-nascent category that has cost Meta Platforms Inc. billions of dollars and has, so far, failed to go mainstream. Apple is seeking to stand out from rivals with a high-end product that may cost around $3,000 and include many technologies not seen before in consumer devices. The headset will use a combination of eye and hand control, feature an on-board App Store, and offer virtual reality-based FaceTime, 3D versions of core Apple apps and immersive video streaming.

The Apple product will include several external cameras and blend both virtual and augmented reality. That will let users either immerse themselves in their content or flick a dial to simultaneously see their surroundings while using the headset.
                        Mixed-reality technology from other companies has been slow to catch on, so Apple will have to make a persuasive case for why its approach is superior. WWDC could be an ideal stage for such an announcement, given its pro-Apple crowd and the ample opportunity for developers to explore the technology during the weeklong conference.
                        Earlier this month, Apple held a series of demonstrations of the new device for what is known as the Top 100, the roughly 100 most important executives at the company.
                        [...]
                        https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ne-5#xj4y7vzkg

Only $3,000!
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Apple fanboys and girls... save those tax returns:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ne-5#xj4y7vzkg

Only $3,000!
                          Pocket change.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I don’t care about mixed reality. I want a phone with a USB-C port. Thanks to Europe, it sounds like we might finally get that.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I don’t care about mixed reality. I want a phone with a USB-C port. Thanks to Europe, it sounds like we might finally get that.
                              I've had USB-C for years now. You just need the right phone. Android FTW
                              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

I don’t care about mixed reality. I want a phone with a USB-C port. Thanks to Europe, it sounds like we might finally get that.
                                Didn't apple announce that they were going to only support some special kind of USB-C cable? Some apple approved version? That would be right on brand.

Comment

Working...
                                X