Originally posted by Pelado
View Post
Travel Thread
Collapse
X
-
Flying into Newark reminds me of the twin towers, and how they used to dominate the view. Now..... not so much.
-
We got round-trip direct tickets from Newark to San Francisco today for $198/person -- traveling in September for a long weekend. Such a great price we couldn't pass it up.
Leave a comment:
-
Go tour the Maison Callier (Chocolate Factory Tour) - Map in Broc. Not too far from where you are and the end of the tour is a sampling room, where you can eat all the chocolate your heart desires. Only restriction is that you can't leave the room. It was awesome. One of the highlights of my chocolate career. THe chocolate is sublime. You are also only 3 miles away from the Gruyere factory. And there is a great little hike that I did with the wife that was very enjoyable. Even doing the first mile or so would be well worth your time: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=423326
Leave a comment:
-
Note duly taken. The chocolate I can definitely do. Mrs. Harry and the little Tics thank you in advance.Originally posted by filsdepac View PostFavarger chocolate. They sell it in most of the stores like Migros and Coop, it's a little higher end but incredible. Raclette is also good, but more of a winter meal, like Fondue. As a missionary, I really only ate pasta and whatever else I could find at the local grocery store. If you do go to Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen, there's a town along the way called Spiez. Next to the train station, there's a Migros with a food court. The food is fine, but I'd venture to say the view from the food court is potentially the greatest view from a grocery store food court in the entire world.
Was this the kind that is sprinkled with gold leaf? Actually, $90 is about right for a dry burger and cold fries via room service just about anywhere.Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Postcreekster ate a $90 hamburger at a fancy hotel one time, that seems like it belongs in the travel thread.
Leave a comment:
-
creekster ate a $90 hamburger at a fancy hotel one time, that seems like it belongs in the travel thread.
Leave a comment:
-
Favarger chocolate. They sell it in most of the stores like Migros and Coop, it's a little higher end but incredible. Raclette is also good, but more of a winter meal, like Fondue. As a missionary, I really only ate pasta and whatever else I could find at the local grocery store. If you do go to Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen, there's a town along the way called Spiez. Next to the train station, there's a Migros with a food court. The food is fine, but I'd venture to say the view from the food court is potentially the greatest view from a grocery store food court in the entire world.Originally posted by Harry Tic View PostFilsdepac,
Great info. I probably won't get to half of those sites, but I may get out the map and make a run at one or two.
Any "must try" food beside the Gruyere?
Leave a comment:
-
Filsdepac,Originally posted by filsdepac View PostHi Harry,
Certainly jealous of your trip, that's a good time to go. Although the swiss train network is excellent, having a car would enable you to see a few more things, as Creekster mentioned above. A few of my recommendations:
1. L'Aiguille du Midi near Chamonix, France. That's the pic that PAC posted, and I believe the inside has the history of how it was constructed, very impressive.
2. Chateau de Chillon - A very famous castle on the Lake with great views and complete with dining halls, dungeons, turrets, etc.
3. Chateau Grandson - Site of the Battle of Grandson. Certainly not a pivotal battle in European history but the first castle I visited in Europe and my first exposure to a sieged castle. You should read the story, apparently the Swiss were promised they wouldn't be harmed if they surrendered. About 400 or so were then hung from trees to scare off the surrounding Swiss. Apparently it just pissed people off and the Swiss retook the area soon after.
4. Lauterbrunnen Valley - Need to train it here (from Interlaken). Potentially the most beautiful setting in the world. Small swiss towns clinging to cliffs that drop 1000+ feet into a lush green valley. A bit far but amazing.
5. Geneva - Not a ton here for a tourist, plus I never ate out as a missionary so can't really help on food.
6. Lausanne - I believe PAC and I did the Olympics museum and found it mildly interesting.
7. I also liked Gruyere. Plus, you can be really obnoxious when eating Gruyere thereafter and point out to people, "Hmmm, this doesn't taste like the cheese I had in Gruyere, but it's okay."
Happy to answer any specifics questions you might have, I vaguely remember where all the freeway speed cameras were.
Great info. I probably won't get to half of those sites, but I may get out the map and make a run at one or two.
Any "must try" food beside the Gruyere?
Leave a comment:
-
You're probably right--I could kick that guy's butt in a 10K or a Century. I think we should head back to Chamonix to see the difference.Originally posted by filsdepac View PostI vividly remember you being short of breath after walking up the stairs. I also remember thinking wow, my dad is officially getting old. What's interesting is that you might be in better shape now and that you were in your 40s at the time (albeit with just months to go).
Leave a comment:
-
I vividly remember you being short of breath after walking up the stairs. I also remember thinking wow, my dad is officially getting old. What's interesting is that you might be in better shape now and that you were in your 40s at the time (albeit with just months to go).Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View PostYou'll still wonder even after you've read the story. The ride from the valley floor rises several thousand feet, and I remember being very short of breath once I got to the highest platform, as the rapid rise leaves no time to adjust. Still, for me it remains one of the greatest highlights of several visits to Europe. One can see multiple mountain climbing groups, including those ascending Mont Blanc. Don't miss it.
Leave a comment:
-
You'll still wonder even after you've read the story. The ride from the valley floor rises several thousand feet, and I remember being very short of breath once I got to the highest platform, as the rapid rise leaves no time to adjust. Still, for me it remains one of the greatest highlights of several visits to Europe. One can see multiple mountain climbing groups, including those ascending Mont Blanc. Don't miss it.Originally posted by Harry Tic View PostPAC, that is amazing. It looks photoshopped. I always find myself wondering how on earth stuff like that gets built. Helicopters and guys with death wishes?
Leave a comment:
-
Hi Harry,
Certainly jealous of your trip, that's a good time to go. Although the swiss train network is excellent, having a car would enable you to see a few more things, as Creekster mentioned above. A few of my recommendations:
1. L'Aiguille du Midi near Chamonix, France. That's the pic that PAC posted, and I believe the inside has the history of how it was constructed, very impressive.
2. Chateau de Chillon - A very famous castle on the Lake with great views and complete with dining halls, dungeons, turrets, etc.
3. Chateau Grandson - Site of the Battle of Grandson. Certainly not a pivotal battle in European history but the first castle I visited in Europe and my first exposure to a sieged castle. You should read the story, apparently the Swiss were promised they wouldn't be harmed if they surrendered. About 400 or so were then hung from trees to scare off the surrounding Swiss. Apparently it just pissed people off and the Swiss retook the area soon after.
4. Lauterbrunnen Valley - Need to train it here (from Interlaken). Potentially the most beautiful setting in the world. Small swiss towns clinging to cliffs that drop 1000+ feet into a lush green valley. A bit far but amazing.
5. Geneva - Not a ton here for a tourist, plus I never ate out as a missionary so can't really help on food.
6. Lausanne - I believe PAC and I did the Olympics museum and found it mildly interesting.
7. I also liked Gruyere. Plus, you can be really obnoxious when eating Gruyere thereafter and point out to people, "Hmmm, this doesn't taste like the cheese I had in Gruyere, but it's okay."
Happy to answer any specifics questions you might have, I vaguely remember where all the freeway speed cameras were.
Leave a comment:
-
PAC, that is amazing. It looks photoshopped. I always find myself wondering how on earth stuff like that gets built. Helicopters and guys with death wishes?
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: