Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottie View Post
    How do you know what your correct heart rate zone is? Is there a book or a website you recommend to learn more?
    http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=5257

The Pete Pfitzinger book I read is called "Advanced Marathoning".

Comment

Saturday morning we took the kids hiking in the woods not far from our house. We had a great time and the kids did very well despite the 90 degree heat. Several creek crossings made it more bearable. 4.5 miles total with about 1,500 feet elevation gain total.

Feeling the marathon breathing down my neck, I decided to go for a run when we got home. So I strapped on my hydration hip pack and headed out in the afternoon heat. It was about 91 degrees with a slight breeze when I left.

My perceived exertion stayed pretty consistent, but my HR gradually crept up over the 5+ miles. It started out around 155, and was at 171 by the time I finished. And I emptied both of my 10 oz hip flasks along the way. Fatigued and a headache for the rest of the evening and a good part of the weekend. Probably not a very bright thing to do when I was already a bit dehydrated from the earlier hike. Lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        Feeling the marathon breathing down my neck, I decided to go for a run when we got home. So I strapped on my hydration hip pack and headed out in the afternoon heat. It was about 91 degrees with a slight breeze when I left.

My perceived exertion stayed pretty consistent, but my HR gradually crept up over the 5+ miles. It started out around 155, and was at 171 by the time I finished. And I emptied both of my 10 oz hip flasks along the way. Fatigued and a headache for the rest of the evening and a good part of the weekend. Probably not a very bright thing to do when I was already a bit dehydrated from the earlier hike. Lesson learned.
        The heat is a killer to me. I'm a very salty sweater, I'm covered in salt by the end of my long runs. I've learned my lesson well after several hardcore wall crashes, including one where I was 9 miles from home. I take a 70 oz. Camelbak on my long runs in the summer, and I drink freely. It's bulky at first, but after a couple of miles I don't notice it, and it's much better than the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
          The heat is a killer to me. I'm a very salty sweater, I'm covered in salt by the end of my long runs. I've learned my lesson well after several hardcore wall crashes, including one where I was 9 miles from home. I take a 70 oz. Camelbak on my long runs in the summer, and I drink freely. It's bulky at first, but after a couple of miles I don't notice it, and it's much better than the alternative.
          I might have to start doing this. I went running for what was supposed to be 6 miles on Saturday. I felt so good it turned into 11. But I didn't have any water and I paid the price for a long run in the afternoon of Houston heat. I almost went off to the hospital to get an IV that evening because I was so messed up. Lesson learned for me too.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            I might have to start doing this. I went running for what was supposed to be 6 miles on Saturday. I felt so good it turned into 11. But I didn't have any water and I paid the price for a long run in the afternoon of Houston heat. I almost went off to the hospital to get an IV that evening because I was so messed up. Lesson learned for me too.
            I don't envy you. Last summer while I was training for the Pocatello Marathon, my boss sent me to Houston for three weeks. I thought I was going to die. I ran through a sprinkler at 5am and the water was warm.

So far this year I've been able to get through my two 20-milers with just stopping at a convenience store for a bottle of Gatorade at mile 13. Later in the summer I'll have to take more drastic measures, but I hate carrying water on a long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
              I don't envy you. Last summer while I was training for the Pocatello Marathon, my boss sent me to Houston for three weeks. I thought I was going to die. I ran through a sprinkler at 5am and the water was warm.

So far this year I've been able to get through my two 20-milers with just stopping at a convenience store for a bottle of Gatorade at mile 13. Later in the summer I'll have to take more drastic measures, but I hate carrying water on a long run.
              I'm used to the humidity and I regularly do my shorter runs in the heat of the day, although I do tend to run more after dark than otherwise.

I think I'm going to use your strategy for my longer runs. My (scheduled) 10+ runs are going to be on some running trails in a populated area with plenty of drug stores, so I will probably stop and buy a gatorade once or twice along the way. I really need to stop this "run farther because I feel good thing" though - it freaks out my wife. I tell her I'm going to run for 50-60 minutes and end up being gone for an hour and 45 minutes.

Comment

I really need to stop this "run farther because I feel good thing" though - it freaks out my wife. I tell her I'm going to run for 50-60 minutes and end up being gone for an hour and 45 minutes.
                Seriously, I'd be freaked if Gidget did the same.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Seriously, I'd be freaked if Gidget did the same.
                  I've done it enough now that she doesn't chide me too much. I run in our development so I'm never more than a couple of miles from home if I have to bee-line it, and I run on paths instead of roads so chances of a car strike are small. She gets mad, honestly, because my extra distance messes with her schedule.

Comment

I've done it enough now that she doesn't chide me too much. I run in our development so I'm never more than a couple of miles from home if I have to bee-line it, and I run on paths instead of roads so chances of a car strike are small. She gets mad, honestly, because my extra distance messes with her schedule.
                    Gidget only stays in our neighborhood too. But there are no sidewalks or paths so you have to run in the street which isn't the widest thing. Fortunately, there are quite a bit of walkers/runners and kids about that drivers are very courteous and watchful. But I did chide her the other day when I caught up to her with our daughter in the stroller and because she was blasting the iPod she had no clue I was beside her for about 10 seconds. She shrieked and jumped off the road when she finally saw us in her peripheral vision.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      Gidget only stays in our neighborhood too. But there are no sidewalks or paths so you have to run in the street which isn't the widest thing. Fortunately, there are quite a bit of walkers/runners and kids about that drivers are very courteous and watchful. But I did chide her the other day when I caught up to her with our daughter in the stroller and because she was blasting the iPod she had no clue I was beside her for about 10 seconds. She shrieked and jumped off the road when she finally saw us in her peripheral vision.
                      When I'm running with my iPod, you couldn't rouse me out of my groove with a nuclear weapon. That can be a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                        I don't know how you do it. If I wait until I'm 13 miles in to a 20 miler to take a drink, I'm not going to make it to 20.

Comment

I started wearing a fuel belt after getting really dehydrated on a 14 mile run with bluegoose last summer. We got started too late and before mile 6 temps were in the 90's. I felt fine until mile 11 when all of the sudden my heart rate shot up and I couldn't bring it down by slowing my pace. I bid adieu to the goose and sucked down as much water as I could at a drinking fountain in a nearby park. It was too late. I finished the run but had to walk a ton and actually started to get fearful that I was going to need medical attention. Goosebumps in hot weather along with insatiable thirst and a really rapid heart rate. I ended up with a headache the rest of the day but that was about it for consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                            Goosebumps in hot weather along with insatiable thirst and a really rapid heart rate. I ended up with a headache the rest of the day but that was about it for consequences.
                            I didn't have the heart rate or headache issues, but I did have the goosebumps and pretty wild nausea/diarrhea. It passed after about an hour and half.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
                              I don't know how you do it. If I wait until I'm 13 miles in to a 20 miler to take a drink, I'm not going to make it to 20.
                              Sometimes I'm just not that bright.

Comment

I didn't have the heart rate or headache issues, but I did have the goosebumps and pretty wild nausea/diarrhea. It passed after about an hour and half.
                                Early on in my training for my first marathon, I misjudged how much water I needed to consume at a stop around mile 8 and passed out a couple of miles further down the Provo River Trail. I was less than a quarter mile from the next water fountain so I eventually made my way down there and took a break then took a couple of hours to walk the three miles to my car.

It was a great lesson for me in what my body demands (in addition to being a little amazed at the number of people I watched walk by giving me funny looks as I came to laying in the leaves a couple of feet below the trail). Hopefully, you learned from the experience as I'm guessing the consequences would be a lot more severe in Houston than in Provo Canyon.

Comment

Working...
                                X