No announcement yet.

Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for rentals, I'd look into a seasonal rental for the kids. A lot of places will have them for a couple hundred for the whole season, sometimes that will include tune ups too. I'd shop around for that and even drive a bit to get the best deal.

If you're just renting for the day then find something close to your house or close to the resort. The hassle of extra driving around before and after isn't worth the minimal savings.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      DDD when did you pick up skiing? I'm assuming you didn't do too much growing up in Cali (or is it Calli?). I use to ski 3-4 times a week. I miss those days.
      In Socal, you have your day trips to local places like Big Bear or Wolf Mountain. Despite the names, there are no overt homoerotic activities taking place. These two resorts are decent enough, esp in the middle of winter. Early and late season the snow isnt great. Mammoth trips were less common and the skiing there is great (nothing compares to Utah snow, however).

Once I started at BYU, it became a regular thing. My roommates loved to ski and were really good, so they pushed/dragged the rest of us along for the ride, forcing us to improve each season. It was great.

My freshman year, winter semester, I enroll in a ski class as an elective. My mom was highly suspicious.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

My little brother gets killer deals on season passes being under a certain age and an honor student. Last year Park City, this year the Canyons, and I don't think either was over $200 for the season. The Puffy Check should check that out as they get a little older, as it seems you destined to become a Utah lifer.

When I was my bro's age I skied a ton -- absolutely lived to ski -- just like he does now. Second half of high school I stopped going as much as I was pretty much playing baseball year round, and then by the time I hit college I never went as the coaches asked us not to. Enter mission, post-mission poverty as a student, and basically I haven't skied much in the last ten years. Last Christmas my little brother drags me out to the mountains and I rediscovered just how much I love to ski.

Since all my gear is seriously old (my little bro says he doesn't even recognize the style of my skis), and I have now finally graduated and have a job, I decided this was the year I was going to start skiing again. So I look up lift tickets at Crystal Mountain, and they're like $70 per day. WTF?! $70 a day to ski Washington snow?! Sheeeeeeiiiiiiitttttt! Now, despite how much I love skiing and really want to start doing it again, I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth getting back into.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
          My job and young children make it difficult to do too much skiing, but for sure I will making trips to Park City and Whistler this winter.
          The Mrs. and I are going to try and hit Whistler this year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            you riding the bike? do they even allow bikes at Utah resorts?

I have had a personal breakthrough. There is nothing I can do about this weather. I cannot stop the snow. Therefore, let it snow as much as possible and I will use that to my advantage.

I look forward to several visits up the canyon. In fact, I can feel a sick day coming on right now...
            Make sure you send a fun note to your assistant when you're sick.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

if you can't find any other options, you can buy a three pack of lift passes at costco for a discount price.
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Brighton is my least fave of the 4 Cottonwood resorts, but it also has the most snowboard vibe to it, which I do not enjoy very much. Alta is heaven for me. I also love PCMR.
                We members of the 'Fraternal Order of Fathers of Multiples' need to stick up for each other.

My twinners turn 5 in January and I wanted to get them skiing/riding this year. Now they don't want to go to Gramma's house for Christmas, so I don't know if we will get out, but Brighton would be high on my list.

FWIW my most unbelievably epic powder days were had at Alta (first in my heart, the place where I met my wife), Snowbird, PCMR, Parkwest/Wolf Mountain/Canyons. However at most of those resorts, especially Snowbird, you need to be lucky to get first tracks and everything gets completely skiied out within a few hours.

However Brighton is a powder treasure trove, ESPECIALLY on a stormy day. Most people won't go there if it is cold and/or snowy because it is a 'beginners hill'. What those people don't recognize is the treeline just to the west of the Great Western lift (- ahem - especially if you cut the rope...) is outstanding. . Sometimes I would have the fresh pow-pow all to myself, even 3-4 days after a big dump! People just don't know about that area. I remember numerous glades, some chutes, etc, and uncomplicated (read 'not gonna get you killed') tree skiing.

Also, I am going to commit skier heresy. I spent 4 years as a ski and snowboard instructor, and have been skiing for 33 years. I am a far better skier than snowboarder. However I am teaching my kids to ride first. It is easier to learn and little kids progress faster on snowboards than on skis. When we were skiing the New England blue ice, and now the PNW slushy cement, the snowboards are far easier for little kiddoes to control and cut through/float above the crubble better than skis.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  Solitude is awesome. When I was a teenager (mid to late eighties) it was THE place. Season passes were a few hundred bucks and most the best bump skiers in the area went there. You could start at the top of Inspiration and then go all the way to the bottom on some of the best carved bumps you've ever seen. Solitude also had amazing tree and glade skiing. Honecomb Canyon (when it was open) was more like a back country run with lift access.
                  I skied Solitude a lot when I was a kid and absolutely loved Honeycomb Canyon. It was a bitch to get out of there, however.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                    The Mrs. and I are going to try and hit Whistler this year as well.
                    My FIL and BIL did this last year. I think they had one day of good snow and a lot of rain.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      My FIL and BIL did this last year. I think they had one day of good snow and a lot of rain.
                      Awesome. Sounds like Sundance.

Comment

I skied Solitude a lot when I was a kid and absolutely loved Honeycomb Canyon. It was a bitch to get out of there, however.
                        The last time I was skiing was in Honeycomb the day after a storm dropped two feet of pow. Unreal.

That was more than 5 years ago. I've been a couple of time since then but not what I'd call real skiing. I did go once two years ago.

I don't think i can do bumps anymore. Too timid and too worried about my knees. I was never great at them anyway. But I'm taking one day this Xmas break to hit Alta. I am still technically very sound and I would live in powder if I could. Give me a nice open bowl early in the morning and I'll never be happier.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Awesome. Sounds like Sundance.
                          Last year was just brutal for that area. IIRC they were trucking snow in for the Olympics, no?

This thread has me jonesing to go snowboarding. I have been once in the last 3 years. My gear has been sitting in a storage unit. I have been tempted to unload it all on Craigslist or something, but 3 seasons out of style and living in Virginia doesn't make me think I'd get much for any of it.
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

nostalgia doesn't even begin to cover the feelings I have for Solitude. I make it a point to go every time we're in "Zion" during the winter. I'm trying to convince my wife to do the ski to the yurt for dinner thing. She doesn't seem to see the value in it.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Last year was just brutal for that area. IIRC they were trucking snow in for the Olympics, no?

This thread has me jonesing to go snowboarding. I have been once in the last 3 years. My gear has been sitting in a storage unit. I have been tempted to unload it all on Craigslist or something, but 3 seasons out of style and living in Virginia doesn't make me think I'd get much for any of it.
                              depending on its year and condition, a used board with bindings will probably get you $150 here on ksl. definitely not worth it.
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                                depending on its year and condition, a used board with bindings will probably get you $150 here on ksl. definitely not worth it.
                                I know. Which is why I'll probably just hang onto them, especially given my gear is all pretty nice. But I am not sure I need two sticks and 3 pairs of bindings here.
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X