My Monthly Guitar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Monthly Guitar Question

Why is it that G-strings are always the worst when it comes to tuning? It doesn't matter what make of guitar or brand of strings, the G-string is always the wonkiest.

Scientists, wisdom heads, people with entertaining argot--please enlighten me.
    Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Ever had a custom nut made for your guitars? A properly cut nut will usually fix this problem.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

A nut fixing a g-string...what was this thread about again?
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        Ever had a custom nut made for your guitars? A properly cut nut will usually fix this problem.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
        So I'm not crazy? How do improperly cut nuts cause this to happen?

Comment

Nuts dont casue it to happen (although a bad one probabyl doesnt help). As I understand it, it is a result of the guitar as being a tempered tuned instrument. The G is either in tune with the B or the D but not both. I once read a very good article about it on the web but I cant find it now. This was as close as I got.

http://bluegrassbanjo.org/tunessay.html

But it gives you the idea.

Thats why bridges sometimes (like on classical guitars) have a separate point for the G string; to try to elimiante some of the dissonant harmonics.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            Nuts dont casue it to happen (although a bad one probabyl doesnt help). As I understand it, it is a result of the guitar as being a tempered tuned instrument. The G is either in tune with the B or the D but not both. I once read a very good article about it on the web but I cant find it now. This was as close as I got.

http://bluegrassbanjo.org/tunessay.html

But it gives you the idea.

Thats why bridges sometimes (like on classical guitars) have a separate point for the G string; to try to elimiante some of the dissonant harmonics.
            Nuts can cause this to happen.

I understand about tempered tuning and all of that. However a poorly cut nut (which are on most guitars) plays a huge role in this problem. Let me put it this way, I have over ten guitars at the moment and rarely have to fiddle with the tuning on any of them. In fact I just pulled a tele and a PRS out of their cases last night after two months of hibernation and both were in tune. How do I accomplish this? I take them to a very good luthier I know when I buy the guitar and he performs a fret level and makes a new nut. The other thing I do is lubricate the nut with graphite every string change.
            Last edited by Shaka; 03-17-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              Nuts can cause this to happen.

I understand about tempered tuning and all of that. However a poorly cut nut (which are on most guitars) plays a huge role in this problem. Let me put it this way, I have over ten guitars at the moment and rarely have to fiddle with the tuning on any of them. In fact I just pulled a tele and a PRS out of their cases last night after two months of hibernation and both were in tune. How do I accomplish this? I take them to a very good luthier I know when I buy the guitar and he performs a fret level and makes a new nut. The other thing I do is lubricate the nut with graphite every string change.
              I think we are talking abotu two different things. While not quite in your neighborhood, I alos have quite a few guitars and I realize some hold a tune much better than others. But when you tune any guitar w you can never get the G string in standard tuning to be in tune with both the D and the B. Cant happen. But tose are two differnet issues. If SIEQ is talking about holding a tune andhis G string always goes out first, then you are absolutely spot on. But if he is reacting to his inability to make the G be in tune, especially when tuning by harmoinics, with both the B and the D string, then it is the inhernt nature of tempered tuning.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Shaka, Where do you live? In Utah, right?

Who is a good luthier? I have a few geetars in severe need of a tuneup.

Comment

I'll find his number for you.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    I think we are talking abotu two different things. While not quite in your neighborhood, I alos have quite a few guitars and I realize some hold a tune much better than others. But when you tune any guitar w you can never get the G string in standard tuning to be in tune with both the D and the B. Cant happen. But tose are two differnet issues. If SIEQ is talking about holding a tune andhis G string always goes out first, then you are absolutely spot on. But if he is reacting to his inability to make the G be in tune, especially when tuning by harmoinics, with both the B and the D string, then it is the inhernt nature of tempered tuning.
                    I'm thinking of both. The harmonics never seem quite right on the G string and the thing wanders out of tune faster than the other strings.

Comment

I want a new acoustic-electric guitar, and want you guitar aficionado's opinions. I've been saving gig money for some time and I want a really nice guitar that sounds good unplugged in living rooms but also kicks butt in gigs. The first question, and I know a lot of this comes down to opinion, is Martin, Taylor, or Gibson? The next question is what model. My priorities, in order, are 1) sound, 2) playing ease 3) reliability, and 4) appearance.

I'm currently playing a Yamaha GF 441-C and it's been a great guitar, especially for the money. The GF series is probably the best low-end guitar I can think of, but after 20 years of playing, and 15 years in a band, I want more. Here is my guitar:

Presently, I'm looking at this Martin DC-15ME. It's well within my price range, and seems to be what I'm looking for, but I want opinions.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        I want a new acoustic-electric guitar, and want you guitar aficionado's opinions. I've been saving gig money for some time and I want a really nice guitar that sounds good unplugged in living rooms but also kicks butt in gigs. The first question, and I know a lot of this comes down to opinion, is Martin, Taylor, or Gibson? The next question is what model. My priorities, in order, are 1) sound, 2) playing ease 3) reliability, and 4) appearance.

I'm currently playing a Yamaha GF 441-C and it's been a great guitar, especially for the money. The GF series is probably the best low-end guitar I can think of, but after 20 years of playing, and 15 years in a band, I want more. Here is my guitar:

Presently, I'm looking at this Martin DC-15ME. It's well within my price range, and seems to be what I'm looking for, but I want opinions.
                        I meant it when I said I wanted advice, so I'll keep bumping this thread until I get it. The Gibson Hummingbird Pro has great reviews and a better look:

sigpic
                        "Outlined against a blue, gray
                        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                          I meant it when I said I wanted advice, so I'll keep bumping this thread until I get it. The Gibson Hummingbird Pro has great reviews and a better look:

you would be a regular hank williams playing that thing
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Have you sang while playing these different models? Matching a guitar to your voice can be an important aspect of your sound. At the professional level, it's one of the reasons why one model is chosen over another.

Comment

Cowboy, if I was in the market for a guitar, I would probably go with the Gibson if the Martin cutaways were the only other option, possibly without the electronics depending on sound. I have had a cutaway A-E for 20 years and although it has seasoned well, I find myself wishing I had a really nice non-cutaway for these reasons:

1) The cutaway kills some of the warmth IMHO. If you hardly ever play the frets that a cutaway gives better access to, then it seems like waste.

2) I rarely plug in. Although I don't currently do any "gigs", mostly just get-togethers with family and friends. I would get along fine with an external sound hole pickup for the few times I do need amplification.

I would love to have a well-seasoned full sounding guitar that fills and warms the room with its own natural sound. My brother has an old Yamaha 12-string that does this, and I have offered to take it off his hands. (his price is way too high)

Not saying A-E cutaways aren't versatile because they definitely are, but I would shop for unplugged sound and feel as first priority. If I had the $$$ I would go for something like a Martin D-28.

Comment

Working...
                              X