I have a bad feeling about this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
    This one made a special contingency of fanboys furious, prompting them to create accounts en masse on rotten tomatoes and imdb and slam the movie. More neutral audience polls show pretty unanimous approval around 85%.
    Those same fanboys also saw the Force Awakens and didn't tank it, and then they seem to be having a remarkably similar view of The Last Jedi as they had for Revenge of the Sith. There are now over 200k votes on imdb for this film. The audience review rating on rottentomatoes remains in the toilet. It appears as if the other contingent of fanboys and neutral viewers aren't propping up this movie.

I'm also interested in this idea that if your core audience doesn't like your movie then it's okay as long as you attract the neutral viewers. I heard this argument being made for that terrible 2016 Ghostbusters movie -- which btw got around 75% positive reviews from critics. Your core audience drives the hype along with their spouses, girlfriends/boyfriends, children and friends to these movies.

With regards to Star Wars movies, the Phantom Menace somehow has a 6.5 on imdb which is Batman v Superman territory. There seems to be a floor in the mid 6s for prestige pop culture properties with enormous built in followings. Amazing Spider Man 2 is a 6.7, X-Men Last Stand (the Ratner piece of shit) is somehow a 6.7.

I think there needs to be a weighted scale to properly rate Star Wars movies. The Empire Strikes back is at 8.8, a certifiable classic in fans' minds and neutral viewers. Yet somehow the Phantom Menace is at 6.5 which is marginally decent for a movie, generally speaking (though a bit below my personal Mendoza line). I would put that piece of shit in Ghostbusters 2016's neighborhood -- 5.3. Ishtar is at 4.2 -- essentially a zero for an A movie release. The Phantom Menace isn't Ishtar bad, it's Ghostbusters 2016 bad.

For Star Wars, a 6.5 is basically a 5.3. I would say the 8.8 for TESB is a legitimate 8.8. There's a 2.3 point spread between the worst and the best which should really be a 3.5. spread, so every tenth of a point difference on the imdb scores should be more like .15. Here we go:

1. EMTB: 8.8
    2. Star Wars 8.65 (8.7)
    3. Return of the Jedi 8.2 (8.4)
    4. The Force Awakens 7.75 (8.1)
    5. The Revenge of the Sith 7.0 (7.6)
    6. The Last Jedi 7.0 (7.6)
    7. Attack of the Clones 5.45 (6.6)
    8. The Phantom Menace 5.3 (6.5)

It seems like The Last Jedi may slip around at least another two tenths or so from its current imdb -- weighting for Star Wars, it will really be below a 7.0. IMO, a 7.0 is my personal Mendoza Line on imdb for movies. BTW, I think this Star Wars imdb ratio can certainly be applied to other film properties like the Batman and Spider Man movies with the spread between 8.8 and the movie's raw imdb score being the scale. For instance, the last Hobbit movie somehow got a 7.4. That's insane. There's a 1.4 point spread, knock that piece of shit down to a 6.7 -- and I think that's being generous. The Last Jedi is most definitely better than that movie.
    Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 12-26-2017, 04:19 PM.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      Those same fanboys also saw the Force Awakens and didn't tank it, and then they seem to be having a remarkably similar view of The Last Jedi as they had for Revenge of the Sith. There are now over 200k votes on imdb for this film. The audience review rating on rottentomatoes remains in the toilet. It appears as if the other contingent of fanboys and neutral viewers aren’t propping up the movie.

Well TFA was admittedly middle-of-the-road, was it not? That was the big knock on it. I don’t feel the need to go online and give a glowing review of a movie I like- I spend enough time on here talking about movies as it is. But an angry fanboy might, and Lord knows Star Wars has plenty of those.

I don’t have a problem with people ranking it w ROTS or even phantom menace. That’s valid. It’s the that kills me. I can tell people actually got their feelings hurt by how it went. Well- I’m sure jj will give you all a softer landing for ix, for better or for worse.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/18/1...es-review-bomb
      Last edited by Commando; 12-26-2017, 05:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• We saw it today. It’s kind of a hot mess. Like others have said, there is about a 20 minute plot detour that is completely useless. But it’s more good than bad, so I’ll take it.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Just saw it on imax. Can someone please explain to me why all the fanboys are upset? I thought it was fine.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Just saw it on imax. Can someone please explain to me why all the fanboys are upset? I thought it was fine.
            Same. Seemed like just another Star Wars movie, e.g. lots of fun.

Only thing I could possibly complain about is that the light saber battle between Kylo and Luke was super weak.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              Same. Seemed like just another Star Wars movie, e.g. lots of fun.

Only thing I could possibly complain about is that the light saber battle between Kylo and Luke was super weak.
              Well that’s because Luke wasn’t there.

I liked it but the gravity bomb thing really bugged me (as did the damaged bomber “diving” out of formation like a Henkel 111 over Dover in the Battle of Britain). But no worse than most Star Wars movies and it looked great in IMAX.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                Well that’s because Luke wasn’t there.
                Well yes, but you don't know that going in. When they were are squared up ready to fight, I turned to my son and said "This is what we paid our money to see." Super disappointing.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Well yes, but you don't know that going in. When they were are squared up ready to fight, I turned to my son and said "This is what we paid our money to see." Super disappointing.
                  I watched Kevin Smith’s review on YouTube and he makes an interesting point about Luke’s last comment to KR, ‘see ya around kiddo.’ I think we’ll see more of Luke in ix.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    I watched Kevin Smith’s review on YouTube and he makes an interesting point about Luke’s last comment to KR, ‘see ya around kiddo.’ I think we’ll see more of Luke in ix.
                    Can't wait for another underwhelming light saber duel in IX.

Say what you want about TPM, but it had the best light saber fight in the entire SW oeuvre... even better than Luke vs DV in TESB.

Comment

Say what you want about TPM, but it had the best light saber fight in the entire SW oeuvre... even better than Luke vs DV in TESB.
                      The saber fight and the music in Episode I are what make it watchable.

Comment

That's like saying Ty Detmer was an even quarterback than Brett Engemann.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                          The saber fight and the music in Episode I are what make it watchable.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• In the theater now awaiting the last jedi.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              In the theater now awaiting the last jedi.
                              Did you save him a seat?
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Did you save him a seat?
                                That was hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X