No announcement yet.

Rumors of 19 year old females going on missions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all respondents, I agree 30-35% returnees sounds way too high, and that 10% seems about right, but the 30% number came from our local mission president, although I got that secondhand. Too bad they don't include that number, whatever it is, as part of the April Conference audit report delivered from the pulpit...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I have a hard time believing it is that high.

There are already substantial filters in place to screen potential problems with stress, anxiety, etc. during the application process. Hopefully, the bishops are learning to be more careful.

Our stake (Heritage Halls - Freshman) produces a huge number of missionaries. Only 3% of our missionaries return early. Part of that is because they are truly exceptional, high-achieving kids. But I think it also has to do with the fact that they have all put in at least one semester at BYU before leaving (most attend a full year). I am 100% in favor of kids attending a freshman year before serving. It makes a huge difference in terms of maturity and learning how to live away from mom and dad.
      Yeah, I don't think this is a very good sample.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        To all respondents, I agree 30-35% returnees sounds way too high, and that 10% seems about right, but the 30% number came from our local mission president, although I got that secondhand. Too bad they don't include that number, whatever it is, as part of the April Conference audit report delivered from the pulpit...
        heh
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          To all respondents, I agree 30-35% returnees sounds way too high, and that 10% seems about right, but the 30% number came from our local mission president, although I got that secondhand. Too bad they don't include that number, whatever it is, as part of the April Conference audit report delivered from the pulpit...
          Maybe y'all are just really hard on the missionaries that are sent your way.

My nephew served in the San Jose mission and was just recently honorably discharged. I recall him saying he had two or three of his companions that left for home early. He didn't say why. I'll try to return and report.
          Last edited by Uncle Ted; 03-10-2016, 07:27 AM.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Soon-to-be 19 year-old daughter got her mission call in the mail today. Opening tonight...

Comment

• A girl in my ward got her call last week to Brussels.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                Soon-to-be 19 year-old daughter got her mission call in the mail today. Opening tonight...
                香港! 香港! 香港!

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                  香港! 香港! 香港!
                  And Clark wins the Nostradamus award: Tawain, Taipei mission. Taipei isn't Hong Kong but it's still Chinese speaking (although Mandarin not Cantonese).

Comment

• Rumors of 19 year old females going on missions

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                    And Clark wins the Nostradamus award: Tawain, Taipei mission.
                    Yes. That is exactly what I said.

And congrats. That's great. She will love it there.

Comment

And Clark wins the Nostradamus award: Tawain, Taipei mission. Taipei isn't Hong Kong but it's still Chinese speaking (although Mandarin not Cantonese).
                      Awesome, that sounds like it would be a rad mission.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Congrats. My alma mater. She will love it.

Mandarin upside: no conjugation. Mandarin downside: just about everything else.
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          Congrats. My alma mater. She will love it.

Mandarin upside: no conjugation. Mandarin downside: just about everything else.
                          Wtih no conjugation, how do they differentiate between tenses?
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Wtih no conjugation, how do they differentiate between tenses?
                            verb prefixes (e.g. 要, 在, etc), verb suffixes (過, et al), and "end-of-sentence-construction" particles (了, 呢, ...)

Super simple!
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              verb prefixes (e.g. 要, 在, etc), verb suffixes (過, et al), and "end-of-sentence-construction" particles (了, 呢, ...)

Super simple!
                              Fun.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Congrats, BFM

Comment

Working...
                                X