The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
    Strange story--I received an e-mail from Microsoft two days ago with the subject line "Purchase confirmation for Xbox Live 4000 Microsoft Points bundle" which I thought was strange because I definitely did not buy any MS points. I log in to my Xbox Live Account Management from my computer at work and it shows that not only did I buy the MS points, but I also purchased the latest DLC for Red Dead Redemption--the "Liars and Cheats" pack. I don't even own that game.

Assuming that somebody hacked into my account, I sent a complaint to MS customer support asking for a refund. Last night, I mentioned it to my wife, and she thought that our 4-year-old daughter had inadvertently purchased the MS points and downloaded the game add-on while trying to find her cartoon on Netflix ("Horseland"--I'll provide a review in another thread some time).

I looked at my downloaded content on my Xbox, and the Liars and Cheats pack was already downloaded--which means that the purchases did happen from my Xbox and not some hacker. I am a little surprised that these purchases could be made by pure button-mashing randomness. I tried to show my wife all the steps it takes to buy the MS points and I couldn't even find the option after five minutes of browsing around.

So, my question is--do you think MS will refund my money? Should I let my bank know that the CC transaction was unauthorized? Or should I just purchase the Red Dead Redemption game now that I have the DLC (plus an additional 3200 MS points that I will eventually use, no doubt)?
    Update? Did you get the money back?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      I got inFamous for the PS3. I haven't had a chance to play it much, but it seems pretty good.
      It's good, but it's buggy and repetitive. It seems like they rushed the game out to release. Fortunately, Sucker Punch has a bit of a track record of massively improving on sequels to their games. Infamous 2 should be very good because the concept behind Infamous is very good.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I picked up need for speed: Hot Pursuit when it was in the amazon gold box the other day, and it came yesterday. I really enjoyed the NFS series, especially the underground through carbon free roam games. I loved that you could buy your car and upgrade it however you wanted. I'm really disappointed this game isn't like that. It has been a lot of fun, though if I would have known it was like this I probably would have gotten my racer fix from GT5.

Comment

Originally posted by 1337coug View Post
          I picked up need for speed: Hot Pursuit when it was in the amazon gold box the other day, and it came yesterday. I really enjoyed the NFS series, especially the underground through carbon free roam games. I loved that you could buy your car and upgrade it however you wanted. I'm really disappointed this game isn't like that. It has been a lot of fun, though if I would have known it was like this I probably would have gotten my racer fix from GT5.
          NFS Hot Pursuit is one of my favorite games from 2010. The single player is good fun if you are competitive with your friends and care about beating their times on the leaderboards. It's great how it constantly updates you and lets you know when a friend has beaten one of your times. It then gives you a quick option to go back into that race and take back the top spot.

Where this game REALLY shines is the multiplayer. 4 on 4 cops vs racers is fantastically fun. Taking out your opponents with spike strips, EMPs, etc is just awesome, and I have found that the swearing and screaming that you'll hear in while playing this multiplayer matches or beats any shooter. Just awesome.

I would recommend this game as a switch up to Call of Duty every now and then for the community. Great game. It has already had a price drop too I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
            Awesome game I have discovered this week: Demon's souls for PS3. Weaklings need not apply, this game is tough. Even the first level. You have to learn from every action, enemy. etc. There are also some really cool concepts, like players leaving other players messages, hints, and bloodstains to see how others have died to avoid the same mistakes. Alot of customalizability, it is an action RPG (think diablo 2, but much better, and much harder.)

Buy it, if you think you can handle hard games. And no, I am not exagerating.

Yeah it's hard, beautifully hard, but It's not impossible and it's not cheap which I venture to think is a very important distinction. If you do happen to die it's because you weren't good enough, which lends progressing and succeeding in this game an old-school feeling of satisfaction unmatched (in my experience) this generation.

Did you play all the way through it? What type of build did you use?

Comment

Good article on Demon's Souls

http://www.crispygamer.com/features/...s-too-hard.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Safetydan View Post
                I think most games are too easy these days. Assassin's Creed was a really fun game but it really suffered from being too easy and there weren't any difficulty settings to tweak.
                Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Safetydan View Post
                  This is six months late.

A little background: I've played and beaten all Final Fantasy games, not including spin offs. I've loved every single one of them up until 12 which I felt departed from a successful formula that I loved, on it's own, however, it was a good if not great game.

FF13 is worse than twelve. It has an incoherent and boring storyline, Linear-to-a-fault game progression, and lacks any immersive qualities to speak of. The game, overall, still carries fantastic production values, visuals, incredible polish and an enjoyable battle system. I'd give it a 7.5/10

As to your question, all Final Fantasy games are stand alone stories and require no previous knowledge of past Final Fantasies. Looking at past Final Fantasy games and comparing them to new iterations is always fun though.
                  I actually picked it up because I was bored, and I found a copy for a good price. The linear character of the game didn't bother me as much as it has some, and I enjoyed the story. My criticisms are a bit different than yours, but I'd probably give it 7.5-8/10 too. Now, if only Homefront would hurry and come out...
                  Not that, sickos.

Comment

Has anyone given minecraft a shot? That game is getting huge, and I've heard some good things and seen some awesome videos on YouTube, but I haven't convinced myself to try it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      I think most games are too easy these days. Assassin's Creed was a really fun game but it really suffered from being too easy and there weren't any difficulty settings to tweak.
                      I agree that most games are too easy these days. Of course they have to balance being frustratingly difficult and cheap when making a tough game. One of my favorite games was Jet Grind Radio for the Dreamcast. It was a really tough game, but it never felt cheap or got frustrating. Sadly, the sequel stripped away the difficulty and just wasn't as fun.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

70 video game deaths in 3 minutes set to an 8-but remix of Mad World.

Brings back a lot of memories. What was the name of that car driving game in the video...the couple crashes the red car and they both go flying out of it?

[YOUTUBE]gJ6APKIjFQY[/YOUTUBE]
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          70 video game deaths in 3 minutes set to an 8-but remix of Mad World.

Brings back a lot of memories. What was the name of that car driving game in the video...the couple crashes the red car and they both go flying out of it?

[YOUTUBE]gJ6APKIjFQY[/YOUTUBE]
                          I am pretty sure that game was Out Run.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                              thats it. thanks

also, the name of the game with the guy who is hovering around in the air, sort of like a 3D concept, shooting those mutant caterpillar things flying towards him? It was unique because to play it, you actually sat in a large chair that had a motion sim component to it. That was a two quarter game, iirc.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                thats it. thanks

also, the name of the game with the guy who is hovering around in the air, sort of like a 3D concept, shooting those mutant caterpillar things flying towards him? It was unique because to play it, you actually sat in a large chair that had a motion sim component to it. That was a two quarter game, iirc.
                                Space Harrier.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X