No announcement yet.

Big Rides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off I just need to say I bow down to BG's ability and courage to do this ride more than once. I've wanted to do this ride since hearing about it and finally I found someone from Rexburg I could drag over to ride it with me. Bruce has only been riding a year but stays in good shape, I figured it may be slow but no problem for him. We started out in Ferndale about the middle of the pack with the intentions of just taking it easy until the first climb. These forty miles were great, we had about a 4 or 5 mile stretch along 101 but even that was beautiful. Riding through the Redwoods may have been one of the most enjoyable places I've ever been on a bike. At mile 40 the road starts up and it continues up for about seven miles. Most of the grade is a 6-10% grade but one little section went as high as 15% (thanks Garmin for that info). Bruce was starting to cramp already and I knew it was going to be a long day for him. The decent was so long and twisty my fingers and arms were hurting. I was almost as happy to see the bottom as I was the top of that hill.

We stopped for lunch around mile 60 and than continued to make our way to the coast. I thought we would be getting a break but this section was rolling and had a couple of good sized climbs. As we were heading down to the ocean we stopped to talk to some guys and I mentioned how steep the decent was and they started warning us about the wall, the best description was "it's as steep as you can pour asphalt without it running down the hill". Along the coast was beautiful and we got lucky with a slight breeze at our back. That same group of guys kept telling us how lucky we were that we weren't fighting a wind during this section. Next up was the wall and it looked terrible. We stopped at the bottom and guys were weaving from one side of the road to the other to make it up the hill. Bruce knew it may be beyond how he was feeling so at that point I would go on and he was going to go as long as he could and then find a ride. He started up and had to start walking after about 100 yards. I started up after him and it was a struggle not to tip over from going so slow and to keep my front wheel on the ground with every pedal stroke, that sucker was steep. It was only a mile but easily the hardest mile I have even experienced. Once over the top you enter into a valley before the endless climb begins. The endless climb deserves its name. I was ready for a long climb but was shocked by how steep it was. Under my breath I'm calling bluegoose every bad name I can think of for even putting this in my head but I suffered through it. The decent was a nice way to finnish.

All in all this was one of the most scenic rides I have ever been on, it's also the hardest 100 I have ever ridden. I wondered why the times were go slow after looking at last years result but I now understand why. It really is a great ride but come prepared to work hard all day long.

Comment

A tailwind?!?! Your first time over there and you got a tailwind on the coastal section? There is nothing right in the world anymore. Imagine the wall and endless hills with a stiff head and cross wind. Killer.

Nice report and very well done. I agree about the ride through the redwoods. Absolutely incredible stretch of road.

I may have forgotten to mention that first descent over Panther Gap in my latest TUC post. As far as descents go, it really is brutal. Long, steep road with tons of sharp switchbacks and some really rough sections of pavement. I always feel beat up by the time I hit the wooden bridge at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        A tailwind?!?! Your first time over there and you got a tailwind on the coastal section? There is nothing right in the world anymore. Imagine the wall and endless hills with a stiff head and cross wind. Killer.
        I can't imagine how tough that climb would be with a head wind. It was blowing in my face at the top but by that time the worst was over. Also I didn't know anything about the killer in the woods until after the ride but i doubt a bunch of cyclist in lyrca looked very threatening to him.

Comment

Okay, I didn't enjoy that ride summary as much as I had hoped, as given my shortcomings on an easier course a week ago, it was painful to imagine those climbs late in the ride. But I'm impressed, as always. Sorry you'll miss this week's Diablo climb that, I suspect, is relatively easy compared to your ordeal Saturday.

Comment

I haven't even hit the New Year's eggnog yet, but a few minutes ago I committed to ride the Wine Country Century (200K, actually) on Saturday, May 3, and the Denver Century on Saturday, June 14. Registration for the Wine Country doesn't begin until February 1 (and it always sells out within a day or two), but the Denver registration is open. In fact, if one registers for the Denver today, one saves $25 off the regular price.

I'm reporting this in the hope one or more of you roadies will consider joining us. The Wine Country 200K is a great if tiring ride (I only managed 150K last time--I'll prepare better this time), and includes some fun stretches through the Coastal Range, and beautiful segments along the coast, the Russian River and, of course, the Napa wine country.

We haven't done the Denver before, but our daughter and her husband did it last year and had a good time. We'll let them pull us up the one major climb that looks Diabloesque with less oxygen.

I only wish the preparation and riding were as easy as writing about it.

Comment

We're nearly ready for next week's Wine Country (we'll likely only do 100 miles, but a double metric is still possible). The missus went out with a pal yesterday for 75 miles and nearly 5000 ft of climbing. She'll join me Saturday on a similar ride so she'll definitely be ready; I'm a little less confident. We're going to duplicate the last half of this year's AMGEN Diablo stage, although we'll have to add 30+ miles at the end to get back home. We'll see if the body and the weather cooperate.

One reason I'm looking forward to the ride is that for a portion of the ride we'll be going in the opposite direction of the 200 brave souls who are doing this year's Devil Mountain Double, an insane ride of 206 miles with over 20,000 feet of climbing, including the crushing Sierra Road climb at around mile 150.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                We're nearly ready for next week's Wine Country (we'll likely only do 100 miles, but a double metric is still possible). The missus went out with a pal yesterday for 75 miles and nearly 5000 ft of climbing. She'll join me Saturday on a similar ride so she'll definitely be ready; I'm a little less confident. We're going to duplicate the last half of this year's AMGEN Diablo stage, although we'll have to add 30+ miles at the end to get back home. We'll see if the body and the weather cooperate.

One reason I'm looking forward to the ride is that for a portion of the ride we'll be going in the opposite direction of the 200 brave souls who are doing this year's Devil Mountain Double, an insane ride of 206 miles with over 20,000 feet of climbing, including the crushing Sierra Road climb at around mile 150.
                I know a few pro teams like to train out of Santa Rosa and they must know all the good areas to ride. I like how you said you may only be doing a 100 miles, the PAC ten years ago probably would have thought 100 miles would have been plenty. Good luck on your ride, it sounds like a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  I know a few pro teams like to train out of Santa Rosa and they must know all the good areas to ride. I like how you said you may only be doing a 100 miles, the PAC ten years ago probably would have thought 100 miles would have been plenty. Good luck on your ride, it sounds like a good time.
                  What is the longest you've ridden a trainer? Six hours is the longest I've been able to ride a trainer. Usually after two or three I am bored out of my mind.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    What is the longest you've ridden a trainer? Six hours is the longest I've been able to ride a trainer. Usually after two or three I am bored out of my mind.
                    I don't think I've even done over an hour, after an hour I'm done. Time moves so slow on any indoor gym equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      I don't think I've even done over an hour, after an hour I'm done. Time moves so slow on any indoor gym equipment.
                      Agree. I did an hour on a treadmill recently and it felt like a year.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Absolutely true about the trainers/treadmills. I would rather run 8 miles outside than 2-3 miles on a treadmill. CJF is the treadmill king, but I think he does it while on the job so being paid hundreds of dollars an hour is probably enough to endure almost anything.

Comment

...being paid hundreds of dollars an hour is probably enough to endure almost anything.
                          Is that how you convinced yourself to become an attorney?
                          When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
                            Is that how you convinced yourself to become an attorney?
                            It didn't take much to persuade me, but yup, $$$ were a factor. That, and the fact my services as the Giants' third baseman (my first choice) were not required.

Comment

Absolutely true about the trainers/treadmills. I would rather run 8 miles outside than 2-3 miles on a treadmill. CJF is the treadmill king, but I think he does it while on the job so being paid hundreds of dollars an hour is probably enough to endure almost anything.
                              I read a Kindle book during a trainer ride. It allows me to ride no matter the time or weather. I prefer riding outside, but sometimes conditions or time don't permit.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Last year I attempted the Wine Country Century (double metric, actually), but bonked horribly at mile 65 or so and limped back to the start for only 88 miles while the missus, her friends, and one of their husbands completed the ride. There's a lot of climbing in the first half and I was worried about a repeat, but we completed it today (we only did 111 miles--at the women's request we cut out a little spur that's unattractive and is included only to get to a true double metric). But I felt surprisingly good and pulled the ladies over the final 25 miles or so, so my manhood, such as it is, has been restored. When we got to the final big climb that did me in mentally last year (including a short stretch of around 12-15%), it was immensely satisfying to power over the top and think, "Take that, beeyotch!"). Sure I was only going 6 mph at the time, but still....

Unfortunately, early in the ride one of the women my wife rides with all the time (she and her husband, a strong rider, did the Giro d'Italia routes last year including Stelvio and other major climbs) had a horrific crash right in front of me as we were descending a steep hill. A stop sign loomed ahead and a guy in front of her braked suddenly, catching her by surprise. She hit the ground hard, shattering the side of her helmet and getting very scraped up on her arms and legs. It was something of a miracle that nobody else biffed as we were all close together, but managed to swerve without hitting anyone else. Meanwhile, she looked like she was out cold but was moaning. We had to call for help and an ambulance came and took her to a trauma center where they found she has a broken collarbone, among other injuries, but thanks to the helmet no neurological or spinal damage. After discussion, the rest of us decided to continue on, but it was a definite downer in an otherwise good day. It served as yet another reminder of how quickly things can change with even a second of inattention.

Oh, and I'm really liking the tubeless tires.

http://www.strava.com/activities/137109550

Comment

Working...
                                X