I have a bad feeling about this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that sucked.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
      Someone in my brother's ward gave a talk yesterday and used TLJ as an object lesson, apparently telling everybody the entire plot. My brother was pissed.
      What an asshole!
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I don't get all the sad faces. First off, I think JJ Abrams did a better job establishing tone and building up characters, but Rian didn't need to really do that here- it jumps right in and doesn't stop until the credits roll. I had my couple of hangups or things I would have preferred to not have happened, but that was easily one of the sickest Star Wars movies with some of the best moments in any Star Wars movie. Completely original (in a SW movie) structure, pacing, cinematography, and took turns that just threw a lit match to the viewer's expectations. I would have been pretty content any way it turned out, even if it was boring and predictable, but I couldn't be more delighted that it wasn't the case. The arc with Rey and Luke is easily one of the best and most enjoyable of the series.

There wasn't really a cliffhanger, but it's still anybody's guess where the final episode goes. Now that we know Leia won't be in the next one (RIP Carrie Fisher) we will probably actually get a little bit more Luke, maybe Anakin, etc. in the next installment. There is still quite a bit of ground to cover in IX as far as fleshing out the mysteries of the series that Rian intentionally left for the last installment (Knights of Ren, etc.), so I was left hanging a bit b/c we didn't get caught up too much outside some of the scant details of Kylo Ren turning bad. Everyone wanted some Snoke back story (and what a character Andy Serkis created), but I think that will come later in the form of a book b/c it's frankly not that important to the story at this point.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
          I don't get all the sad faces. First off, I think JJ Abrams did a better job establishing tone and building up characters, but Rian didn't need to really do that here- it jumps right in and doesn't stop until the credits roll. I had my couple of hangups or things I would have preferred to not have happened, but that was easily one of the sickest Star Wars movies with some of the best moments in any Star Wars movie. Completely original (in a SW movie) structure, pacing, cinematography, and took turns that just threw a lit match to the viewer's expectations. I would have been pretty content any way it turned out, even if it was boring and predictable, but I couldn't be more delighted that it wasn't the case. The arc with Rey and Luke is easily one of the best and most enjoyable of the series.

There wasn't really a cliffhanger, but it's still anybody's guess where the final episode goes. Now that we know Leia won't be in the next one (RIP Carrie Fisher) we will probably actually get a little bit more Luke, maybe Anakin, etc. in the next installment. There is still quite a bit of ground to cover in IX as far as fleshing out the mysteries of the series that Rian intentionally left for the last installment (Knights of Ren, etc.), so I was left hanging a bit b/c we didn't get caught up too much outside some of the scant details of Kylo Ren turning bad. Everyone wanted some Snoke back story (and what a character Andy Serkis created), but I think that will come later in the form of a book b/c it's frankly not that important to the story at this point.
          Good thoughts and fair review. I also have very little issue with the lack of Snoke's backstory, but I think they could have made the Snoke/Ren stuff bigger and better and more involved and cut out some of the other dumb side story stuff.

Now that I've had a couple days to digest it all, I'd probably rank the SW episodes as such:

Really Good

1. Star Wars (yep, I liked it better than ESB)
          2. Empire Strikes Back
          3. The Force Awakens

Good
          3a. Rogue One (not a real SW episode so it doesn't get an official ranking)
          4. The Last Jedi
          5. Revenge of the Sith
          6. Return of the Jedi (although I still get chills when Vader kills the Emperor)

Yikes, really bad
          7. Phantom Menace
          8. Attack of the Clones
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I don't think Chewbacca would have to cook food like he did with that bird. Seems like they chose to go with laughs with that one instead of taking the movie seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              Apparently, the easiest way to avoid Star Wars spoilers is to skip Sacrament Meeting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              also its the easiest way to avoid afterlife spoilers...I try to avoid all spoilers
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• I should put this in the confession thread, but here goes: I actually liked The Phantom Menace.

We'll see The Last Jedi later this week when all the kids are home.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  I should put this in the confession thread, but here goes: I actually liked The Phantom Menace.
                  OK, you are a commie. We get it!
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    6. Return of the Jedi (although I still get chills when Vader kills the Emperor)
                    Spoiler alert!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      OK, you are a commie. We get it!
                      Hey, I came for the scintillating parallels between the nascent empire and communism, I stayed for the awesome light saber duel at the end.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Lots of chatter and new theories based on the expansion of the sw universe in this movie. Is Snoke really dead?

Comment

• The audience score being what it is on RT because of Star Wars fanboys probably isn't accurate. The movie has a number of very strong segments that don't fit together very well. There are also some weak segments that are utterly pointless. I don't even know what the point of some of the characters are.

Without getting into too many spoilers:

Strengths:

1. Very entertaining space battle scenes where the stakes are clearly understood. It's been a long time since that was actually part of a Star Wars movie.

2. The scenes involving Kylo Ren and Rey, and the scenes involving Snoke. One scene in particular is the highlight of the movie.

3. The explanation for Luke's self-banishment or hiding or whatever it is seems plausible.

Weaknesses:

1. Too many endings.

2. A very prequely part in the middle that proves to be of no importance to the overall plot.

3. Aside from Kylo Ren, the development of the other characters is poor. I liked what was revealed about Rey's origins, but there was so much more that could have been done with it.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• spoilers below:

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            The audience score being what it is on RT because of Star Wars fanboys probably isn't accurate. The movie has a number of very strong segments that don't fit together very well. There are also some weak segments that are utterly pointless. I don't even know what the point of some of the characters are.

Strengths:

1. Very entertaining space battle scenes where the stakes are clearly understood. It's been a long time since that was actually part of a Star Wars movie.

2. The scenes involving Kylo Ren and Rey, and the scenes involving Snoke. One scene in particular is the highlight of the movie.

3. The explanation for Luke's self-banishment or hiding or whatever it is seems plausible.

Weaknesses:

1. Too many endings.

2. A very prequely part in the middle that proves to be of no importance to the overall plot.

3. Aside from Kylo Ren, the development of the other characters is poor. I liked what was revealed about Rey's origins, but there was so much more that could have been done with it.
                            The best part of the film, by far, for me was the interaction between Rey and Kylo Ren. All those scenes were awesome. I wish there would have been a bit more than that. Would have been better to play that out all through the film, and then make their confrontation at the end of the film not the middle. And also, instead of how it went with Kylo asking her to join him and she flatly rejects him, it would have been cool to let that play out longer, maybe over multiple scenes, with some negotiation. Also, tease out the romantic-sexual tension between the two more. That was by far the best part of the story.

Comment

• Actually didn't care for it at all. I am a fanboy...so there is that.

And the whole Princess Leia surviving in space...what is this? Guardians of the Galaxy did that better.

Such a horrible movie. I was super bummed walking out of that thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                                The audience score being what it is on RT because of Star Wars fanboys probably isn't accurate. The movie has a number of very strong segments that don't fit together very well. There are also some weak segments that are utterly pointless. I don't even know what the point of some of the characters are.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

1. Too many endings.

I think the prequel-ish part you're referring to is the Canto Bight scene? I think it had a couple of purposes: 1. It shows the 'scum and villainy' angle from a bit of a different perspective, but also to introduce the character DJ and his agnostic point of view on war, and good vs. evil- which contrasts with Luke's arc. 2. It also leads to another massive failure, which seems to be the undercurrent of the movie and also parallels with Luke's arc.

As for Rey's origins, I don't think we're quite done there. Sure Kylo Ren had his say and maybe it was dead-on, (and would seem to match up with the messaging of the movie, which is that heroes can come from anywhere re: Finn, Rey, Rose) but if that's it I am a little disappointed, even knowing that if her origins were something else it would drastically change the trajectory of the movie to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X