No announcement yet.

KVN Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing up loving college football I always thought I would stay four years if I was lucky enough to play college ball. Because what's greater than CFB, right?

But if I had a son in KVN's position, I'd tell him to go get paid. Financial security is great thing and his stock may never be higher. As a fan I'd be ecstatic if he came back but I expect him to leave. Either way, thanks for the great memories, Kyle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Several sources on Twitter saying KVN has decided to return to BYU for Senior season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        Several sources on Twitter saying KVN has decided to return to BYU for Senior season.
        He should definitely go pro.

Sent from a Jelly Bean
        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Yes, including Alex Kuresa.
          Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
            He should definitely go pro.

Sent from a Jelly Bean
            I guess "should" depends on what motivates him. I'd certainly tell him to go pro if he was my little brother - but maybe dude thinks he's answering a higher call (like the fact that he views Bronco as a kind of father figure).
            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Very little upside for a lot of risk.

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                I guess "should" depends on what motivates him. I'd certainly tell him to go pro if he was my little brother - but maybe dude thinks he's answering a higher call (like the fact that he views Bronco as a kind of father figure).
                I think he knows BYU could have been much better this past year and he feels he has some unfinished buisness. Or it might be as simple as the kid really likes playing college ball and going to BYU.

Either way, it is the best recruit Bronco could have landed. The loss of Davion Orphey is unfortunate but this defense has the makings of another great one in Provo. Move Spencer Hadley back to the middle and give me an OLB tandem of Alani Fua and Kyle Van Noy. Uani Unga and Hadley in the middle. DL of Manu, Dulan and Bronson Kaufusi. Two great safeties in Craig Bills and Sorenson and one solid CB in Jordan Johnson and who knows else out there. Concerned about base corner and whoever ends up in the middle of the DL, but in my experience it is rare when BYU has real crappy interior DL play - at a minimum Manu will be serviceable. The only time I saw it seemed to be 2001 and 2008. We aren't due for crappy intereior DL play until 2015.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                  Sure, but if goes now, he'd likely get a nice fat paycheck. Coming back to finish his degree and be taught the defensive coaching ropes by BM is probably going to always be an option for KVN. IMO the risk of him staying outweighs the benefits of him leaving. I'd love to see him stay, but it would royally suck if he got hurt. I guess that'd just accelerate his move to coaching. Maybe that wouldn't be so terrible.

Sent from a Jelly Bean
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                  - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Comment

Great news for the team, but doesn't feel like the right move.
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                        Great news for the team, but doesn't feel like the right move.
                        It's the right move and it's a win-win for him and BYU.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                          It's the right move and it's a win-win for him and BYU.
                          I'm not taking a shot at you but why is it definitively 'the right move'? If true, I'm elated as a fan, but while he has areas in which he needs to improve, I'm not sure he makes those in the college ranks. Seems like the wrong move given his grade.
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                            I think he knows BYU could have been much better this past year and he feels he has some unfinished buisness. Or it might be as simple as the kid really likes playing college ball and going to BYU.

Either way, it is the best recruit Bronco could have landed. The loss of Davion Orphey is unfortunate but this defense has the makings of another great one in Provo. Move Spencer Hadley back to the middle and give me an OLB tandem of Alani Fua and Kyle Van Noy. Uani Unga and Hadley in the middle. DL of Manu, Dulan and Bronson Kaufusi. Two great safeties in Craig Bills and Sorenson and one solid CB in Jordan Johnson and who knows else out there. Concerned about base corner and whoever ends up in the middle of the DL, but in my experience it is rare when BYU has real crappy interior DL play - at a minimum Manu will be serviceable. The only time I saw it seemed to be 2001 and 2008. We aren't due for crappy intereior DL play until 2015.
                            Trammell on paper is going to be the best cb option. I don't think Dulan is coming back though. And Brown is headed on a mission before he plays so maybe Crichton or Marques Johnson in the middle of the dl?

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                              I'm not taking a shot at you but why is it definitively 'the right move'? If true, I'm elated as a fan, but while he has areas in which he needs to improve, I'm not sure he makes those in the college ranks. Seems like the wrong move given his grade.
                              He's twenty to thirty pounds light for his position. An extra year of bulking up will enhance his prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                He's twenty to thirty pounds light for his position. An extra year of bulking up will enhance his prospects.
                                It's the right move for BYU but I am skeptical that KVN is doing this to improve his draft position. He'd go in the mid-second to mid-third round as it is right now which means he'd get something in the neighborhood of a $1M signing bonus and a $700K-ish salary as a rookie. At that rate even playing 1-2 years in the NFL can put someone who plans on very strong financial footing for a long time to come.

Even if he puts on weight and improves his run-stopping bonafides, he's going to be w/o Ziggy and Fuga next year which means he'll be getting a lot more attention in blocking schemes than he wants - and I would guess that his sack production isn't going to be where it was this year.

I'll be surprised if KVN ends up anywhere higher than the second round next year and he could end up lower.

But - I'd expect that he knows that and that a higher draft position isn't what's motivating him to stay. I think he is still, in part, paying down a debt of gratitude to Bronco.
                                Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Working...
                                X