No announcement yet.

Social Media Outrage/Cancel Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good advice that unfortunately no one will take.

Comment

It would be nice if the school got the boys together, especially punchable face Nick Sandmann, and reached out to Nathan Phillips to set things right, apologizing for their role in this misunderstanding. Philips was clearly upset by what happened and as a senior and a veteran, deserves that respect and response. No doubt it would elicit a similar response from him.

That is the advice the adults in the room should be giving. It would put all the critics in their place and gain the high ground for the school and those boys.

But sadly, I doubt that will happen. We're living in Trump's MAGA America.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I hadn’t paid much attention to the Lincoln Memorial story. I did see something on Twitter tonight that said Black Hebrew Israelites we’re in involved. That brought back a lot of strange feelings. On my mission these guys used to terrorize us in NYC. At that time they went by Hebrew Israelites. They were especially scary in Brooklyn in the early 90’s. Brooklyn in the early 90’s didn’t need help in being scary. One time we had a group of them that would be waiting outside our building for us every morning. This went on for 5 days. They would follow us everywhere we went. Screaming at anyone who would dare talk to us. Threatening to kill anyone who talked to us. Threatened to kill us many times. Would push us around trying to get us to fight back so they could beat on us. Calling us all sorts of vulgar and racist names. And they loved the homophobic, vulgar, racist comments in the same rant. It was weird. And honestly, that was the most stressful week of my life. One day was bizarre. By day 5 I was at the end of my rope. Luckily they weren’t there on the 6th day and never followed us around again.

I have no idea what really happened at the LM, but hearing those guys were involved, I can’t imagine that the high school kids were completely at fault. In my experience, they are not the most freedom of speech and peace loving kind of guys.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Foreign adversaries stirring the pot.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/tech/...ens/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
            I hadn’t paid much attention to the Lincoln Memorial story. I did see something on Twitter tonight that said Black Hebrew Israelites we’re in involved. That brought back a lot of strange feelings. On my mission these guys used to terrorize us in NYC. At that time they went by Hebrew Israelites. They were especially scary in Brooklyn in the early 90’s. Brooklyn in the early 90’s didn’t need help in being scary. One time we had a group of them that would be waiting outside our building for us every morning. This went on for 5 days. They would follow us everywhere we went. Screaming at anyone who would dare talk to us. Threatening to kill anyone who talked to us. Threatened to kill us many times. Would push us around trying to get us to fight back so they could beat on us. Calling us all sorts of vulgar and racist names. And they loved the homophobic, vulgar, racist comments in the same rant. It was weird. And honestly, that was the most stressful week of my life. One day was bizarre. By day 5 I was at the end of my rope. Luckily they weren’t there on the 6th day and never followed us around again.

I have no idea what really happened at the LM, but hearing those guys were involved, I can’t imagine that the high school kids were completely at fault. In my experience, they are not the most freedom of speech and peace loving kind of guys.
            Looking at this through a lens of tribal dynamics, this is very interesting. There are 3 tribes represented, Hebrew Israelites (HI), Native Americans (NA), and a group of HS kids. The first confrontation is actually between the HI and the NA tribes. The HS kids are just part of a broader audience watching the confrontation. At one point (maybe because the NA weren't backing down), the leader of the HI's turns his rhetoric away from the NA's and begins to address the HS kids. The monologue from the HI leader goes on for quite some time. Note that all three tribes are sporting their ceremonial clothing and accouterments that are sacred to their tribe.

Once the attention is placed on the HS students, they immediately begin to circle. The HS tribe pulls together. That allows the HI leader to focus his rhetoric on a common enemy. With the focus now directed at them, the HS students soon thereafter begin invoking their common learned sacred rituals. They begin chanting school slogans and cheers. One of them disrobes in the common athletic competitive form--the removal of the shirt and corresponding faux rage and flex. This change of focus by the HI opens the door for the NA tribe to ally with them in a fight, which they eventually do. The HI members had constrained themselves to vigorous oral slurs and abusive language, but the NA tribal leader is willing to shift the nature of the confrontation by physically moving into the space occupied by the HS students' defensive circle.

Most of the circle parts and lets the NA members flow freely among them and react mostly by smiling and incorporating the beat of the drums into their own tribal rituals--dancing to the beat of a drum at an athletic competition. (Many view this as a sign of disrespect, but the HS students where chanting their sacred incantations first, so if there was disrespect, it was intentional by the NA tribe.) As long as the HS students allow free flow within the circle, there is no sign of progression of hostilities. One student chooses not to move and is singled out by the NA tribal leader. He stands quietly, but refuses to give further ground within his own circle. This is expected behavior. One tribe attempts to assert their authority by invading the defensive circle, and is actively seeking someone willing to confront it. There's an assertion of dominance by the NA leader, and a member of HS tribe rises to the challenge.

Then the mouthpiece of the NA tribe engages the mouthpiece of the HS tribe in argument about the right of the HS kids to occupy the space that rightfully belongs to the NA tribe. It's interesting that neither the NA leader nor the HS student leader engage in debate. In fact the HS leader attempts to silence his own member and encourages him to respectfully not engage--encouraging silent resistance. The NA mouthpiece invokes history "millions of years", but the HS mouthpiece counters with even more ancient history, that all life emerged from Africa--equalizing the claims through a call to brotherhood.

All in all, fairly fascinating, the restraint of the HS students by choosing only to defensively circle and then not to escalate when physical penetration of their space occurred is remarkable.
            Last edited by swampfrog; 01-22-2019, 05:10 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
              Looking at this through a lens of tribal dynamics, this is very interesting. There are 3 tribes represented, Hebrew Israelites (HI), Native Americans (NA), and a group of HS kids. The first confrontation is actually between the HI and the NA tribes. The HS kids are just part of a broader audience watching the confrontation. At one point (maybe because the NA weren't backing down), the leader of the HI's turns his rhetoric away from the NA's and begins to address the HS kids. The monologue from the HI leader goes on for quite some time. Note that all three tribes are sporting their ceremonial clothing and accouterments that are sacred to their tribe.

Once the attention is placed on the HS students, they immediately begin to circle. The HS tribe pulls together. That allows the HI leader to focus his rhetoric on a common enemy. With the focus now directed at them, the HS students soon thereafter begin invoking their common learned sacred rituals. They begin chanting school slogans and cheers. One of them disrobes in the common athletic competitive form--the removal of the shirt and corresponding faux rage and flex. This change of focus by the HI opens the door for the NA tribe to ally with them in a fight, which they eventually do. The HI members had constrained themselves to vigorous oral slurs and abusive language, but the NA tribal leader is willing to shift the nature of the confrontation by physically moving into the space occupied by the HS students' defensive circle.

Most of the circle parts and lets the NA members flow freely among them and react mostly by smiling and incorporating the beat of the drums into their own tribal rituals--dancing to the beat of a drum at an athletic competition. (Many view this as a sign of disrespect, but the HS students where chanting their sacred incantations first, so if there was disrespect, it was intentional by the NA tribe.) As long as the HS students allow free flow within the circle, there is no sign of progression of hostilities. One student chooses not to move and is singled out by the NA tribal leader. He stands quietly, but refuses to give further ground within his own circle. This is expected behavior. One tribe attempts to assert their authority by invading the defensive circle, and is actively seeking someone willing to confront it. There's an assertion of dominance by the NA leader, and a member of HS tribe rises to the challenge.

Then the mouthpiece of the NA tribe engages the mouthpiece of the HS tribe in argument about the right of the HS kids to occupy the space that rightfully belongs to the NA tribe. It's interesting that neither the NA leader nor the HS student leader engage in debate. In fact the HS leader attempts to silence his own member and encourages him to respectfully not engage--encouraging silent resistance. The NA mouthpiece invokes history "millions of years", but the HS mouthpiece counters with even more ancient history, that all life emerged from Africa--equalizing the claims through a call to brotherhood.

All in all, fairly fascinating, the restraint of the HS students by choosing only to defensively circle and then not to escalate when physical penetration of their space occurred is remarkable.
              Spontaneously doing the tomohawk chop, happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                I assume you can link this? I saw one kid doing this briefly in what I've viewed--and it was very quick. And since many of them are likely sports fans, then yes apparently hundreds of thousands of people can be spontaneously motivated to do the first down signal tomahawk chop.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    Whoah! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Not cool!

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                      I assume you can link this? I saw one kid doing this briefly in what I've viewed--and it was very quick. And since many of them are likely sports fans, then yes apparently hundreds of thousands of people can be spontaneously motivated to do the first down signal tomahawk chop.
                      Look, yes the kids from Kentucky were FSU fans and felt like it was a great idea. The kids got a raw deal with the doxxing and threats, but no need to get all hagiographical about them.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        Look, yes the kids from Kentucky were FSU fans and felt like it was a great idea. The kids got a raw deal with the doxxing and threats, but no need to get all hagiographical about them.
                        There were reports of one or two kids doing this--out of 100. Mostly I just saw expressions of bewilderment, they didn't know how to act. They had been chanting their own stuff, to drown out the Hebrew Israelite abuse, and were approached by the Native tribe. What exactly do we expect they were supposed to think of that? Were the tribal members joining them? Were they seeking confrontation? Of course they didn't know how to act. I truly believe given the circumstances and their age and taken as a whole, their behavior was laudatory.

This still appears to me to be a Native elder, who has significant experience with activism, attempting to provoke an incident by bullying children to promote his cause. I cannot view his comments to the media post-confrontation as anything other than outright falsehoods with the intent of at minimum generating viral propaganda. His version of events is contradicted by the visual evidence. His agenda for the entire event is fairly transparent. The possibility of catching a young MAGA hat wearer in an altercation with a native american protester was too good to pass up.

Comment

• Sounds like the Covington students have been invited to visit Trump.

Oh. Yay. I'm sure this is finally going to promote healing and understanding, and not at all flame further division.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            Sounds like the Covington students have been invited to visit Trump.

Oh. Yay. I'm sure this is finally going to promote healing and understanding, and not at all flame further division.
                            Called it.

Comment

• Hey, do y'all know where I can get the t-shirt version of this? Asking for a friend.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                Hey, do y'all know where I can get the t-shirt version of this? Asking for a friend.

cafepress.com
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X