Best TV series 2000-today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    I like Game of Thrones, but putting it ahead of Breaking Bad is madness.
    Both are excellent shows, but If you ask 100 different people which is better (survey says!) you'll get plenty of people putting GoT over BB.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I'm currently about halfway through the first season of Oz. Fun to see peeps like JK Simmons and Edie Falco before they were stars. Also fun to see some stars clinging to their early-90's cachet (like Jamaican sprinter-turned-bobsleder Darice Bannock). Also, lots of peeps from forthcoming HBO series (Bodie and Burrell, from The Wire, for example). All in all it's a bit disjointed, but you can almost feel the freedom the directors and writers are experiencing with an extended series on premium cable, as they try out a lot of stuff and go down a lot of wormholes that wouldn't fly in movies or on basic cable. It's pretty clear already that this show laid some important groundwork for the Golden Age of Television, even if the show itself probably doesn't crack the pantheon (TBD--lots of episodes to go).
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• I liked Poldark season 1. I’ve stalled midway through season 2. There are some truly ridiculous storylines in season 2.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          I'm currently about halfway through the first season of Oz. Fun to see peeps like JK Simmons and Edie Falco before they were stars. Also fun to see some stars clinging to their early-90's cachet (like Jamaican sprinter-turned-bobsleder Darice Bannock). Also, lots of peeps from forthcoming HBO series (Bodie and Burrell, from The Wire, for example). All in all it's a bit disjointed, but you can almost feel the freedom the directors and writers are experiencing with an extended series on premium cable, as they try out a lot of stuff and go down a lot of wormholes that wouldn't fly in movies or on basic cable. It's pretty clear already that this show laid some important groundwork for the Golden Age of Television, even if the show itself probably doesn't crack the pantheon (TBD--lots of episodes to go).
          You don't know the half of it. Wait until you see Christopher Meloni spread his butt cheeks and you'll finally understand the full extent of that freedom those guys felt.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• GoT is verboten in my House.

If we include miniseries, my top 4 are probably:

1. BB
            2. Band of Brothers
            3. LOST (the shitty ending notwithstanding)
            4. John Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              I liked Poldark season 1. I’ve stalled midway through season 2. There are some truly ridiculous storylines in season 2.
              Plow through it and it gets better. George Warleggan is a fun villain.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Meh. You could use the term "soap opera" to describe almost all British period dramas.

The individual episode ratings on IMDB have been consistent at around 8.5-8.9 for seasons 2 & 3. Seems about right.
                SU? IS that you? An "all thinking people agree with me" argument? Lol.

While you COULD apply the Soap Opera label to most British Costume Dramas, the reason many of them are worth watching is because they rise above it. The first couple of seasons of Downton Abbey, for example, are just excellent TV, but then it begins a slow descent in to more pedestrian melodramatic fare. Poldark is the same, IMO. Poldark was very good to begin, but it all gets to be a bit much as it drags on. We are still watching season three, but only as a sort of filler. It sits on the DVR until we get around to it, as opposed to being something we are waiting for every Sunday night. And I am quite happy not being in the mainstream with the episode reviews on IMDB. Due to my wife's interests I have watched a lot of this stuff (a LOT) over the years and even if you or most don't agree, I know what I like. I am very, very glad, however, that you are enjoying it. Tally ho!
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I binged watched Breaking Bad for the first time. That's a tough show to binge watch. I was so stressed out the whole final season.

What a great show.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    SU? IS that you? An "all thinking people agree with me" argument? Lol.

While you COULD apply the Soap Opera label to most British Costume Dramas, the reason many of them are worth watching is because they rise above it. The first couple of seasons of Downton Abbey, for example, are just excellent TV, but then it begins a slow descent in to more pedestrian melodramatic fare. Poldark is the same, IMO. Poldark was very good to begin, but it all gets to be a bit much as it drags on. We are still watching season three, but only as a sort of filler. It sits on the DVR until we get around to it, as opposed to being something we are waiting for every Sunday night. And I am quite happy not being in the mainstream with the episode reviews on IMDB. Due to my wife's interests I have watched a lot of this stuff (a LOT) over the years and even if you or most don't agree, I know what I like. I am very, very glad, however, that you are enjoying it. Tally ho!
                    Easy there, Tiger. There are at least three people here saying it tanked after season 1. I was just curious to see if I was taking crazy pills for thinking it hasn’t changed much or if there is a broader consensus out there. That’s all.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• 1. The Wire
                      2. Breaking Bad
                      3. 30 Rock
                      4. The Sopranos
                      5. Game of Thrones
                      6. The Shield
                      7. Mad Men
                      8. Parks and Rec
                      9. Battlestar Galactica
                      10. Dexter's first three seasons
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                        1. Arrested Development
                        2. 24 (would be #1 if it wouldn't have dropped off so severely after season 3)
                        3. Southland (best show currently in production)
                        4. Friday Night Lights
                        5. Veronica Mars
                        Updated:

1. Mad Men
                        2. Friday Night Lights
                        3. Breaking Bad
                        4. Southland
                        5. Veronica Mars
                        6. Arrested Development

I still think 24 is fun but it does not age well. I hadn't watched any of Mad Men or BB when I wrote my previous list. If Miniseries counted, I would put The People Vs. OJ Simpson somewhere in there.

Comment

• Scrubs
                          Person of Interest
                          Leverage
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            Updated:

1. Mad Men
                            2. Friday Night Lights
                            3. Breaking Bad
                            4. Southland
                            5. Veronica Mars
                            6. Arrested Development

I still think 24 is fun but it does not age well. I hadn't watched any of Mad Men or BB when I wrote my previous list. If Miniseries counted, I would put The People Vs. OJ Simpson somewhere in there.
                            Southland was such a great show.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                              Scrubs
                              Person of Interest
                              Leverage
                              No, no, these are lists of the BEST shows.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Mad men would have cracked my list if not for the final three seasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X