No announcement yet.

Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought some new dress shoes two weeks ago and since then my lower achilles/heel has been hurting. At least I'm hoping the pain is due to the shoes since it's an easy thing to correct. Anyway, I've still been able to run as the pain is mostly only when I walk around in shoes and only slightly when I run, but the pain goes away 5 minutes into my run when my body gets warmed up. I'm watching it closely in case I need to rest or reduce mileage, but so far so good.

I also skipped the bike ride again this weekend. After all the activity over Thanksgiving I was still sorer than sore on Saturday and felt it best to skip that workout.

M - 3.1
    T - 4
    W - 3.1
    F - 10 (longest run ever)
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Must have missed a week of reporting. Oh well. This week I did:

T - 3.1
      W - 5.0
      Th - 3.1
      Sa - 8

This was a step back week. I think I have a 12 or 13 miler next week. Ugh!
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• So - I started a long 24 week build up for Ogden in May and have taken another look at my training plan. I tend to try to figure out what I can do differently to improve my times.

I kind of made up my own training schedule, taking input from multiple sources, but after doing some additional reading I have to say it probably most closely resembles the "run less, run faster" approach. I'm only running 3X a week - and weather permitting I'm hoping to bike 2-3 days a week (more likely once we get into March)

I've got myself doing intervals or tempo runs every week, with some alternating hill and race pace runs mixed in from week to week. All of the long runs I plan to run about a minute or so slower than race pace, but every other week or so I'll probably use the last 1/4 of the run to get up to race pace and then a little faster than race pace before slowing for the cool down.

Through my reading I saw something one professional running coach was advocating, which struck me as new. He stated that he tells his trainees that they are never to run more than 3 hours at a time during training. So if they don't get all of the miles in for their long run within those 3 hours, they are to cut it short and finish the rest of the miles later in the day during a second run. He said something about it preventing injury and not effecting race preparedness - but it struck me as different. Anyone ever heard of that or trained that way?

Comment

• How did you veterans (or anyone training towards a marathon) figure out your target pace? I have pretty much run at the same pace, just trying to improve the speed, for a while, but since reading a RW training book recently, I've tried long slow distance, though I still don't go as slow as maybe I should.

The RW book threw out the idea of Yassos but that tweaked my ankle a few weeks back so I don't plan to go back to those for a bit. The book also suggested taking your 5k pace and adding 30-45 seconds per mile to get your half pace and 45-90 seconds per mile for the marathon pace. Is that based on my all-out, tail-busting 5k pace?

I'm still learning and not sure where to target myself other than "Let's aim to finish!" as the first goal. Any thoughts or experience for someone who doesn't have years of experience or speed?
          I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
            How did you veterans (or anyone training towards a marathon) figure out your target pace? I have pretty much run at the same pace, just trying to improve the speed, for a while, but since reading a RW training book recently, I've tried long slow distance, though I still don't go as slow as maybe I should.

The RW book threw out the idea of Yassos but that tweaked my ankle a few weeks back so I don't plan to go back to those for a bit. The book also suggested taking your 5k pace and adding 30-45 seconds per mile to get your half pace and 45-90 seconds per mile for the marathon pace. Is that based on my all-out, tail-busting 5k pace?

I'm still learning and not sure where to target myself other than "Let's aim to finish!" as the first goal. Any thoughts or experience for someone who doesn't have years of experience or speed?
            I used a highly scientific approach of deciding that I wanted to finish under 4 hours, deciding what that pace was, and then using that as my pace for my first race. It's about 9 minutes/mile, so I figured I would keep it around 8:45 to give myself extra time.

I should admit at this point that I was either sick or injured for about 8 weeks prior to the race, so my training didn't go as well as planned. And I did a WHOLE lot of walking after mile 17-18.

The second time around, I'm ashamed to admit that my method again was not very scientific. I found that when I was running during training I was extremely comfortable at an 8:30 pace - to the point that it felt like I could run that speed forever. Some days that I was running a shorter distance I would run a little faster. On my longest days I would try to run a little slower. On the medium distance days I would run that speed.

Most of the time I would finish every run by increasing my pace by 30-60 sec/mile for 1-2 miles (depending on distance) and then again by another 30-60 sec/mile for a 1/4-1/2 mile to simulate a finish kick.

So starting the race I held myself to a 8:30 pace, and figured I would hold it there until around mile 20. At which time if I felt great I would speed up and if I didn't I would continue at the same speed until I couldn't any more.

Yeah - maybe not as scientific as I would lead you to believe. I'm not sure why it worked as well for me as it did, but it did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
              How did you veterans (or anyone training towards a marathon) figure out your target pace? I have pretty much run at the same pace, just trying to improve the speed, for a while, but since reading a RW training book recently, I've tried long slow distance, though I still don't go as slow as maybe I should.

10k races and half marathons have been my best predictors. Yasso 800s are not a predictor. 5ks are not super helpful either.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• The Holiday Challenge really has me wanting to do a marathon this year. The hard part is finding one around here that works. The Seattle marathon is the same weekend as Thanksgiving, which is just really crappy timing (both for the weather around here and the fact that it's Thanksgiving). Portland is early October, which is not as bad, except there's no way I could be ready for that one given my work schedule. My best shot is Vancouver, which falling in mid-May is a pretty ideal weather/work schedule for me, but I just checked it out and the damn thing is $150. I'm not sure I can pay $150 to just go run around.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  The Holiday Challenge really has me wanting to do a marathon this year. The hard part is finding one around here that works. The Seattle marathon is the same weekend as Thanksgiving, which is just really crappy timing (both for the weather around here and the fact that it's Thanksgiving). Portland is early October, which is not as bad, except there's no way I could be ready for that one given my work schedule. My best shot is Vancouver, which falling in mid-May is a pretty ideal weather/work schedule for me, but I just checked it out and the damn thing is $150. I'm not sure I can pay $150 to just go run around.
                  What about Newport, OR? A bit of a longer drive for you, but still manageable. June 1st, which is a great time to race in Oregon. And it's pancake flat.

Steelblue has been looking to do this one for years. If I were to do a summer marathon this is the one I would do. Its just not a great time of year for me.

Comment

• I'm skipping a 4 mile run this week. I have a 16 miler planned for Saturday. I've been having shin issues again and I'm not sure if they are stress fracture related or just general overuse in the muscles. I'm nervous that it's bone related though. There is a little pain but it's kind of sporadic and all over and I've had a lot of muscle soreness in both shins. In any case, I'll probably know more after the 16 miler. If it is a stress fracture, then I'm not sure what I'll do as my marathon is in 2 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I'm skipping a 4 mile run this week. I have a 16 miler planned for Saturday. I've been having shin issues again and I'm not sure if they are stress fracture related or just general overuse in the muscles. I'm nervous that it's bone related though. There is a little pain but it's kind of sporadic and all over and I've had a lot of muscle soreness in both shins. In any case, I'll probably know more after the 16 miler. If it is a stress fracture, then I'm not sure what I'll do as my marathon is in 2 months.
                      Swim for two months and then run it anyway, and then brag about how you did it on a broken leg. That's what I would do.

Comment

I'm skipping a 4 mile run this week. I have a 16 miler planned for Saturday. I've been having shin issues again and I'm not sure if they are stress fracture related or just general overuse in the muscles. I'm nervous that it's bone related though. There is a little pain but it's kind of sporadic and all over and I've had a lot of muscle soreness in both shins. In any case, I'll probably know more after the 16 miler. If it is a stress fracture, then I'm not sure what I'll do as my marathon is in 2 months.
                        I read an interesting bit in Runner's World that said a lot of shin issues are due to core weakness, as such weakness leads to instability and undue stress in the legs. That resonated with me because historically I paid little attention to my core, other than the occasional set of crunches or situps. Now, I devote a fair amount of time to building up the core (planks, back lifts, various torso twists, etc.). It's made a big difference in stamina on my bike and, I think, with running as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          I read an interesting bit in Runner's World that said a lot of shin issues are due to core weakness, as such weakness leads to instability and undue stress in the legs. That resonated with me because historically I paid little attention to my core, other than the occasional set of crunches or situps. Now, I devote a fair amount of time to building up the core (planks, back lifts, various torso twists, etc.). It's made a big difference in stamina on my bike and, I think, with running as well.
                          From my reading, this definitely comes up quite a bit when shin pain, particularly medial shin pain, is the topic. There's so much research out there on different causes of Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome and tibial stress reactions/fractures that it's probably best not to presume that core weakness is a sole or even primary causal factor. However, since everything is connected, and since a lot of current understanding points to rotation and torsion of the tibia (as well as related bending moments) as key culprits in medial shin pain, and since that kind of rotation is at least moderated by muscles in the glutes and hips/core area...it follows that strengthening these is at least worth a try and likely to make someone a stronger runner if nothing else. Best case is that stronger core/hip muscles and gluteal stabilizers keeps an otherwise potentially injurious chain of movements and forces from happening, and voila: Happy runner.

Here are some snippets from an abstract of a recent article examining 'proximal influences' on medial shin pain (MSP): "This case-control study investigated fourteen runners aged 18–40 years old with a history of unilateral MSP and fourteen runner controls. Three dimensional lower quarter kinematics were captured as runners ran on a treadmill. Specifically, peak hip internal rotation (IR), frontal plane pelvic tilt (PT) excursion, and knee flexion were examined... Groups were similar in age, mass, height, and training mileage. Subjects with a history of MSP demonstrated significantly greater frontal plane PT (P = 0.002, Effect size = 0.55) and peak hip IR (P = 0.004, Effect size = 0.51); and less knee flexion (P = 0.02, Effect size = 0.46) than the control group."
                          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3414067/

If you're not already doing them, I might recommend at least trying some core stuff, some lunges and one-legged squats (w/o weights), and a good hip routine (I use the 'Myrtl' routine). Again, even if the cause of your shin stuff is more directly attributable to some other factos(s), there seems to be a lot of people out there suggesting that consideration of these 'proximal' factors can help.

Good luck, Moliere. You've had your share of shin stuff, and in my own (more moderate) way, I can relate. I'm really rooting for you to get to this marathon healthy and ready to go!

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                            Good luck, Moliere. You've had your share of shin stuff, and in my own (more moderate) way, I can relate. I'm really rooting for you to get to this marathon healthy and ready to go!
                            Thx man. I did my 16 miler this morning. It was 45 degrees and raining (sometimes a downpour). It was miserable weather and at the end of the run I was cold and wet, but my shins were doing fine. My legs were pretty much shot but I know the shin bone wasn't hurting.

I think the shin issues I was having the past week might have been due to some work I did in the backyard, coupled with the running miles I'm putting in. I patched up my fence and spent 3-4 hours bending over/squatting and then did a 11 mile run. Probably not the best thing to do and it might have just exhausted the muscles. In any case, I think I'm good for now. I'm taking it a bit lighter the next two weeks (skipping a couple shorter runs) because work is not allowing me to get out much, which might be good as well.

Comment

Thx man. I did my 16 miler this morning. It was 45 degrees and raining (sometimes a downpour). It was miserable weather and at the end of the run I was cold and wet, but my shins were doing fine. My legs were pretty much shot but I know the shin bone wasn't hurting.

I think the shin issues I was having the past week might have been due to some work I did in the backyard, coupled with the running miles I'm putting in. I patched up my fence and spent 3-4 hours bending over/squatting and then did a 11 mile run. Probably not the best thing to do and it might have just exhausted the muscles. In any case, I think I'm good for now. I'm taking it a bit lighter the next two weeks (skipping a couple shorter runs) because work is not allowing me to get out much, which might be good as well.
                              I suspect you're right. I had a miserable run on the 2nd after playing basketball on the first (stupid, I know). I just don't do anything other than running/cycling/swimming when I'm in major endurance mode.

Today was miserable for running.

Comment

• Nice job on the run, Mol. If it made niku back off some, then big props to you for getting out on the road.

Also, niku, did you say you're wearing Mizunos now? Which model? Our local rep was supposed to bring some new Inspires to a group run recently but they didn't arrive in time so I tried out another pair. I want to give the Inspires a good test run to see if they would fit well for training, but I've tried the Elixir on a quick test and liked those also. Being cheap, though, I'm not quick to drop a lot of money on a new shoe when I know my Asics treat me well.
                                I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X