I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Still had the rice chex in my ward today.
    sounds like a crazy SP thing, not a church wide thing.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• We use rice cakes. Also GTFO with your gluten sensitivity.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
        We have a few people in our ward with Celiacs or gluten intolerance. Our solution for the sacrament was been to include a small cup of rice chex in every tray for those people.

I guess direction has come to no longer do that. The reason: it doesn’t fit with the symbolism of the bread being broken. I understand the sacrament is all about symbolism, but that seems pretty nitpicky to me. We aren’t sure how to handle the issue now a separate tray with oatbread is possible, but then a deacon would have to be dedicated to knowing and finding those who need it.
        I just scrolled through the official communication library back to 2012 and didn't see anything about it. Unless maybe it was buried in one of those updates about the triple combination now being made available in Serbian or Afrikaans. I doubt anyone has actually ever read those updates.

Comment

• We have a few people with true celiac disease plus who knows how many with gluten sensitivity. One of those with celiac disease would bring his own bread for the priests to bless. He and his family always sit in the same seats so it is easy to know which tray to place the gluten free bread.

Eventually we went with putting gluten free bread on every tray in a separate fry-sauce sized cup.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
            Eventually we went with putting gluten free bread on every tray in a separate fry-sauce sized cup.
            That sounds like the best solution of all.

Comment

• When we first moved into this ward around 12 years ago, we met a member who was gluten intolerant or celiac or something. I had never heard of it before that time. I've never noticed any special/separate breads passed around on the tray(s) during the Sacrament. Our ward is probably just hostile to the celiac and gluten-intolerant members. Maybe that's why he moved.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• ::glumly:: we are one of those wards who just gives everyone gluten free bread. It's like bread gum- super chewy and super tasteless. Thanks a lot, pseudo celiactors. The one time a week I can eat bread carbs and I gotta eat this kind.

I think they just dont want to call them sacramental crackers. Too catholic.

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                  We have a few people with true celiac disease plus who knows how many with gluten sensitivity. One of those with celiac disease would bring his own bread for the priests to bless. He and his family always sit in the same seats so it is easy to know which tray to place the gluten free bread.

We have one family with a daughter who is a celiac. They bring their own piece of gluten free bread which stays in a Ziploc baggie which the deacons pass to them on their own tray. Every other tray gets regular bread and a rice cake for the self diagnosed folks.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

• my celiac wife just pretends to take it. don’t want to be the nerds complaining to the bishop about sac bread.
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      my celiac wife just pretends to take it. don’t want to be the nerds complaining to the bishop about sac bread.

i hope she fake chews it up too.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

my celiac wife just pretends to take it. don’t want to be the nerds complaining to the bishop about sac bread.
                        What's her preferred method of deception? Throwing it over her shoulder? Dropping it in her lap?
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          What's her preferred method of deception? Throwing it over her shoulder? Dropping it in her lap?
                          If you don't fake mouth to shirt pocket you clearly were never on church discipline as a youth. Doesn't work as well for the water, but for the bread it was easy. Didn't matter if your parents sat right next to you or not.
                          *Banned*

Comment

• not sure what her preferred penn and teller move is, but the quality of her fake has me suspecting she’s an expert
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

not sure what her preferred penn and teller move is, but the quality of her fake has me suspecting she’s an expert
                              og's wife is great at faking. Who would have thought?
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

not sure what her preferred penn and teller move is, but the quality of her fake has me suspecting she’s an expert
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X