Has anyone bought a mattress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
    Is this the OFFICIAL mattress-purchasing thread? Without that designation I'm not sure if this question belongs in the thread, but here goes anyway:

My 3 year old will be graduating from her toddler bed to a real bed as soon as we buy a mattress. The bed is a full (it's a hand-me-down from my in-laws; already sitting, disassembled, in the garage). It will be used as a guest bed when needed--if not for the occasional adult use, I'd go really cheap because I figure that for a small child, mattress quality isn't really going to affect her comfort level.

Any recommendations? The mattresses at Costco seem too expensive/nice for how often it will be used by adults. What do you all think is the sweet spot in terms of price for a cheap but adequately comfortable mattress?
    Depending on where you're located, you should be able to find a cheap retailer on craigslist.org. Someplace without any showroom, preferably, so the costs are way down.

Here is an example of a place in Las Vegas that always advertises on CL.

http://www.lvfurniture2go.com/produc...hp?hp=1&cid=17

You can get a full-size 10" memory foam mattress and foundation for as little as $425.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
      Is this the OFFICIAL mattress-purchasing thread? Without that designation I'm not sure if this question belongs in the thread, but here goes anyway:

My 3 year old will be graduating from her toddler bed to a real bed as soon as we buy a mattress. The bed is a full (it's a hand-me-down from my in-laws; already sitting, disassembled, in the garage). It will be used as a guest bed when needed--if not for the occasional adult use, I'd go really cheap because I figure that for a small child, mattress quality isn't really going to affect her comfort level.

Any recommendations? The mattresses at Costco seem too expensive/nice for how often it will be used by adults. What do you all think is the sweet spot in terms of price for a cheap but adequately comfortable mattress?
      doesn't DI sell pretty reasonably priced mattresses? They are new and I'd be surprised if she was a discerning enough sleeper to dislike it.

I third the mattress topper. We have one that's made of down (or faux down), and it is wonderful. I'm not a huge memory foam fan because of how hot it can get.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Depending on where you're located, you should be able to find a cheap retailer on craigslist.org. Someplace without any showroom, preferably, so the costs are way down.

Here is an example of a place in Las Vegas that always advertises on CL.

http://www.lvfurniture2go.com/produc...hp?hp=1&cid=17

You can get a full-size 10" memory foam mattress and foundation for as little as $425.
        Originally posted by camleish View Post
        doesn't DI sell pretty reasonably priced mattresses? They are new and I'd be surprised if she was a discerning enough sleeper to dislike it.

I third the mattress topper. We have one that's made of down (or faux down), and it is wonderful. I'm not a huge memory foam fan because of how hot it can get.
        Those are both good suggestions. Thanks. I previously considered craigslist, but then had visions of used, stained mattresses and never looked. I just checked it out and there's a surprising (for me, anyway) amount of dealers advertising there.

DI is something that didn't even cross my mind. I'll take a look there. My daughter definitely won't care about the choice. I'll be happy as long as the quality is high enough for my parents or in-laws to sleep there for two nights in a row without back pain.
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
          I'm not a huge memory foam fan because of how hot it can get.
          Never been an issue for us. We have a pad (1/2" or so) on top of the memory foam.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Never been an issue for us. We have a pad (1/2" or so) on top of the memory foam.
            You have a memory foam pad on to of a memory foam mattress?
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              That's a lot memory on your bed!

Must be to accommodate all that RAM. ( computer joke)
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                You have a memory foam pad on to of a memory foam mattress?
                We have a memory foam pad on top of our mattress (not part of original mattress). On top of that we have a fabric pad that is kind of like a fitted sheet. It holds the foam pad in place and provides a breathable layer on top of the memory foam pad. On top of that we put our regular fitted sheet.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  That's a lot memory on your bed!

Must be to accommodate all that RAM. ( computer joke)

Nice. I always appreciate geek humor.

Comment

Does anyone here sleep (or use ) a Purple mattress? My wife feels our whole bedroom set needs to be upgraded. The only thing I care about is how comfortable the bed is. So I'm looking at different mattresses.

I bought my son one of these, based upon an online recommendation. I was hesitant because of how inexpensive it was; I think it is the most comfortable bed in the house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Comment

Cool story about Mattress Firm.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mattr...roblems-2018-1

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                        Does anyone here sleep (or use ) a Purple mattress? My wife feels our whole bedroom set needs to be upgraded. The only thing I care about is how comfortable the bed is. So I'm looking at different mattresses.

I bought my son one of these, based upon an online recommendation. I was hesitant because of how inexpensive it was; I think it is the most comfortable bed in the house.

I bought a mattress set a month ago. A lot of guys on CB swear (as much as Jefe allows) by their Purple Mattresses. They almost convinced me to get one... but I went with Stearns and Foster setup from Costco.... it was just easier to go the mile to Costco and take it home ourselves. Happy to report my back feels sooo much better, and I'm sleeping about an hour longer each night.... from 7 to 8 hours now.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          I do some work for Mattress Firm.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

We have a Purple mattress. Love it. I've had lower back and knee soreness, along with headaches a few times a week, for the last couple of years. Purchased a Purple mattress in September 2017 and have loved it. No aches or pain. No more morning headaches. It took about a week for my body to get used to it, but I sleep like a log now.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              I do some work for Mattress Firm.
                              Which do you handle - the drugs or the cash?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Which do you handle - the drugs or the cash?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                the prostitutes.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X