The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
    The two movies couldn't be more different. One is about a big white oversized ape who wreaks havoc everywhere he goes. The other is based on a video game with the same name.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I enjoyed A Quiet Place as the pacing, camera angles, themes, etc. were all very good. I was bothered by some plot holes, including the film's resolution, but they didn't ruin it for me. Emily Blunt was particularly good. It's funny that I was more frightened by a single nail than by the monsters.
      I enjoyed the film, but didn't love it. The nail caused me to cringe every time, mostly in part, because I remember having stepped on them in my youth, going to the hospital for tetanus shots. Too much hyping this film made me not be able to overlook the plot holes. My wife disliked being dropped into the middle of the situation rather more build-up. That's a common device in many of these films so that technique didn't bother me as much.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        I enjoyed A Quiet Place as the pacing, camera angles, themes, etc. were all very good. I was bothered by some plot holes, including the film's resolution, but they didn't ruin it for me. Emily Blunt was particularly good. It's funny that I was more frightened by a single nail than by the monsters.
        I thought the ending was badass. My only complaint is that they forecasted the resolution a bit too much.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
          I thought the ending was badass. My only complaint is that they forecasted the resolution a bit too much.
          I liked the ending. You had to suspend some disbelief the entire movie. Aliens that operate solely by sound, but they can only hear loud sounds? Ok.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Come What May A French film (called En mai, fais ce qu'il te plaît)

I'm a geek for WWII era films. I'm trying to learn french, and there's no shortage of French films on Netflix and Amazon (although there is a shortage of french films that are "For the Strength of Youth" compliant!).

The film follows the citizens of a village displaced by the invasion of France by German forces, and focuses on a German communist (he fled the Nazi's and escaped to France pre-war, only to be imprisoned on suspicion of espionage in France) attempting to find his son, who is travelling with the villagers. I can't say for certain if the acting is fantastic, because I understood about 20% of the dialogue, but it explores a part of WWII that doesn't get much play in the US: the plight of non-German refugees on the continent during WWII.

There's a decent amount of English dialogue due to the role of a Scottish officer (played by The Americans Matthew Rhys), so you get a break from the subtitles.

I enjoyed the tale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I liked the ending. You had to suspend some disbelief the entire movie. Aliens that operate solely by sound, but they can only hear loud sounds? Ok.
              Blind creatures that run 100 mph... from long distances.....but can't see a person two feet from them, or hear a heart beating loudly.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

There's a decent amount of English dialogue due to the role of a Scottish officer (played by The Americans Matthew Rhys), so you get a break from the subtitles.
                Who subtitles the scottish brougue?

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  Who subtitles the scottish brougue?
                  None needed. That's the biggest stretch in the film. Rhys speaks like a well polished, British courtier.

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    Blind creatures that run 100 mph... from long distances.....but can't see a person two feet from them, or hear a heart beating loudly.
                    I think you guys are underselling it:

Spoiler for Movie spoiler:
                    I only saw it once, but if you noticed: the creatures seemed to open up their shell and really hone in on quiet noises just before attacking. My memory is that this was part of how they exploited its weakness. Let it open up and expose it's ear drum, then hit it with dog whistle like noise, which overwhelms the creature. I'm not saying it's iron clad, but they did try to account for it. Also, who watches a thriller and looks for plot holes? haha.

Comment

I think you guys are underselling it:

Spoiler for Movie spoiler:
                      I only saw it once, but if you noticed: the creatures seemed to open up their shell and really hone in on quiet noises just before attacking. My memory is that this was part of how they exploited its weakness. Let it open up and expose it's ear drum, then hit it with dog whistle like noise, which overwhelms the creature. I'm not saying it's iron clad, but they did try to account for it. Also, who watches a thriller and looks for plot holes? haha.
                      Hey I like that explanation. I didn't notice that.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

[B]. . .but it explores a part of WWII that doesn't get much play in the US: the plight of non-German refugees on the continent during WWII.

I enjoyed the tale.
                        If you enjoyed this, you may like the books All the Light We Cannot See and The Nightingale. Both are about French citizens in German occupied France during WWII.

Comment

• The Innocents

French film about a French Red Cross worker who comes to the aid of a convent in distress in Soviet occupied post-war Poland.

I don’t want to spoil it, it was well done, and I understood a lot more of the French dialogue.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                            If you enjoyed this, you may like the books All the Light We Cannot See and The Nightingale. Both are about French citizens in German occupied France during WWII.
                            Thanks. I’ok check them out.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                              I liked All the Light We Cannot See. It was pretty good. The Nightingale bugged me. A great book, written at that time, by a French Jew is Suite Francaise. I really liked that one.

Comment

• The "last movie I saw" thread

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                I liked All the Light We Cannot See. It was pretty good. The Nightingale bugged me. A great book, written at that time, by a French Jew is Suite Francaise. I really liked that one.
                                What bugged you about the Nightingale? I agree that All The Light was better and that the Nightingale bugged me. I couldn’t quite put my finger on why, though.

BTW, Mrs. Donut also read both books and feels exactly the opposite.
                                Last edited by Donuthole; 04-25-2018, 08:58 PM.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X