Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    LANGUAGE!!!
    One of the things that always makes me smile about this community is YO taking offense at someone cussing, then a week later swearing a blue streak.

Hasn’t gotten old yet. Yeah, I’m pathetic.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      One of the things that always makes me smile about this community is YO taking offense at someone cussing, then a week later swearing a blue streak.

Hasn’t gotten old yet. Yeah, I’m pathetic.
      yohio doesn’t curse
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        From D&C 121:

We are all jerks to some degree. I bet even PAC has his moments. (DON'T @ ME!)
        Yes, all men including myself. I have even posed the idea that on a distribution of debauchery risk that Christ sits alone at one end and all of humankind are bunched up at the other. Those that are concerned with their separation from the rest of the pack are missing the whole point. In my earlier musings I mentioned that it's important for all of us to realize that given the right set of circumstances, we all are capable of being Bishop. There are a few extraordinary people that are willing to risk all and be the person that hides Anne Frank, but it's just as (possibly more) likely you could be a prison guard at Auschwitz. (Referencing Jordan Peterson again here).

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Man, if you ever come to a conclusion, please, share it, you'll have solved something that no one ever has. I spent five years chasing it only to find at the end that I had learned that I had only glimpsed a drop in the bucket of what had been written on it---IN ENGLISH!
        Obviously the 30 years from my mission hasn't been spent entirely thinking about this, and I haven't read nearly the to the level you have, so if your drop is my bucket...I've got a lot of reading to do, which is probably pointless. I can see why Peterson has reached the conclusion about God that he has. To address the question of God from a psychological level, but not dismiss the possibility of the metaphysical either. You can't just arbitrarily dismiss the mystical experience, considering that much of it is reproducible. It it certainly possible that there is a whole body of knowledge and experience that is being veiled from us because our minds would simply be overloaded with the information. It's interesting that religious "revelation" is very similar to experiences with psychedelics. Peterson quoting Jung on psychedelics, "Beware of unearned wisdom". And Peterson alone,

Originally posted by Jordan Peterson
        ...and I really like that because psychedelics can open the gates of perception and flood you momentarily, with information of genuine cosmic significance. That doesn't mean you're the sort of character, you're not the sort of vessel that can tolerate being filled with that kind of divine fluid, it might just break and crack you.

So I would say, approach those things with trepidation, you should have the same attitude towards psychedelics that the ancient Israelite's had toward the Ark of the Covenant, which was that, you know, God was in there, but if you touched it accidentally, you would die. That's a pretty good general attitude to have with regards to any serious encounter with psychedelics. Those things require respect, they're not toys, they're not games, they're not fun, we don't understand what they are. But they are worth treating with tremendous respect."
        Originally posted by Topper View Post
        Or Occam's Razor, he doesn't intervene or he doesn't exist.
        That's also a possibility, but then I have to deconstruct my personal perceived interventions, which is no easy task. It involves decoupling those perceived interventions from personal use of Priesthood forms which only the LDS church promotes.

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        I disagree. Your statement above encapsulates the thinking of many members struggling with this issue (including possibly HFN and Moliere). I don't see it as an either/or kind of thing at all.

In short, I think HFN and Moliere and swampfrog err when they conflate the roles of our leaders.
        This reminds me of a statement in the early part of Rough Stone Rolling. Whether or not you believe Joseph Smith received revelation from God, it's hard to dispute that he believed it after reading his personal journals. Multiple mentions of being cut off from God for an answer to a specific question, and then proceeding to search earlier revelations looking for the answer.

I would agree with your assessment of a third option if there was some evidence of the brethren knowing that revelation/inspiration is bogus and proceeding to continue to state that they receive it when making callings. But as in the talk referenced above, I believe that they believe they receive actual inspiration for making every one of these callings. Under those conditions all of your argument falls back under option one. The alternative is a conspiracy theory of monumental proportions. That somehow the progression of being a Bishop, SP, MP, GA, Q12 or similar turns men into the types of beings willing to consciously deceive and obscure "the big secret". I don't buy that argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          yohio doesn’t curse
          Disagree. Back me up, YO
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            Your take seems incredibly naive (edit: creekster said it better and with more tact).

I hope you aren't using this as your justification for leaving the Church! That would be very mpfunk of you.
            Why joke about people leaving the church?

Comment

• Wuap, I am sorry if you feel sad. I hope to see you back.

These discussions are interesting. I am convinced that we humans are naturally/genetically pre-disposed to idealogical extremes. Gray areas make us uncomfortable.

"Scriptures are the word of God --> Everything in them literally happened"
              "Joseph Smith/Brigham Young were prophets --> God commanded polygamy and the priesthood ban."
              "This is God's church --> The prophet will never lead us astray."

Or on the other hand:

"JS took a 14-yr-old bride --> He was a fraud about everything"
              "Seers are supposed to see the past/present/future but they missed Bishop --> They aren't really seers"
              "Some callings are clearly not inspired --> No callings are inspired"
              "Church leaders make mistakes --> Why listen to them about anything?"
              etc.

I am convinced that real, enduring faith exists in between these two extremes. I also believe that it is a fragile and delicate thing. It can only survive with great effort and nurturing. It requires humility, optimism, and hope. It cannot abide cynicism. It also requires an ability or willingness to accept paradox and messiness; the willingness to deal with two contradictory thoughts. Exmos often mock this as "mental gymnastics". I just returned from a lecture by Terryl Givens (I think he is the greatest thinker right now in Mormonism). He gave a beautiful presentation on faith and reason and spoke of the struggle of negotiating the messy middle. He referred to "the appalling luxury of skepticism". Luxury indeed.

So why bother? For me it is simple. When I have chosen to trust in God and believe in spite of the endless reasons to doubt, I have felt the undeniable love of God. That is my foundation.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                You don't want to get into an adjective fight with me, motherfucker.
                I welcome all feedback, unwarranted or not.

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                I would agree with your assessment of a third option if there was some evidence of the brethren knowing that revelation/inspiration is bogus and proceeding to continue to state that they receive it when making callings. But as in the talk referenced above, I believe that they believe they receive actual inspiration for making every one of these callings. Under those conditions all of your argument falls back under option one. The alternative is a conspiracy theory of monumental proportions. That somehow the progression of being a Bishop, SP, MP, GA, Q12 or similar turns men into the types of beings willing to consciously deceive and obscure "the big secret". I don't buy that argument.
                I am sure that they ("the brethren") actually believe it matters. Many/most of the members in the middle-level lay ministry likely believe the same thing too; namely, that God cares who is called to such and such a position in such and such a ward or stake or region or mission or temple. Like Lebowski said, it is nothing more than a statement of faith that the person believes that they made a good decision based on the available information. Fair enough. I'm happy to take the statement at face value.

However, I would caution against thinking that these declarations add a patina of infallibility to every single hiring decision (calling) that some mid-level manager makes in "The Kingdom™". Could the person have made a different decision, called a different person, and still have been "inspired" to have the right person in that calling. Yes. Could there have been a dozen or a hundred other persons equally qualified that would also be "inspired" choices. Certainly.

We all make decisions using limited understanding and seek reassurances for those decisions. Should I buy this house or that one? Should I tract on this street or the next one? Should I take this job or stay put? Should I move here or settle there? Should I marry this person or that one? Personally, I don't think God cares. He's up there basically saying, "Whatever, man. All roads lead to Rome. Just make it back here and don't be dick while doing so."

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                Why joke about people leaving the church?
                I actually don't care. If he stays or goes, I'll still love him!
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Wuap, I am sorry if you feel sad. I hope to see you back.

These discussions are interesting. I am convinced that we humans are naturally/genetically pre-disposed to idealogical extremes. Gray areas make us uncomfortable.

"Scriptures are the word of God --> Everything in them literally happened"
                  "Joseph Smith/Brigham Young were prophets --> God commanded polygamy and the priesthood ban."
                  "This is God's church --> The prophet will never lead us astray."

Or on the other hand:

"JS took a 14-yr-old bride --> He was a fraud about everything"
                  "Seers are supposed to see the past/present/future but they missed Bishop --> They aren't really seers"
                  "Some callings are clearly not inspired --> No callings are inspired"
                  "Church leaders make mistakes --> Why listen to them about anything?"
                  etc.

I am convinced that real, enduring faith exists in between these two extremes. I also believe that it is a fragile and delicate thing. It can only survive with great effort and nurturing. It requires humility, optimism, and hope. It cannot abide cynicism. It also requires an ability or willingness to accept paradox and messiness; the willingness to deal with two contradictory thoughts. Exmos often mock this as "mental gymnastics". I just returned from a lecture by Terryl Givens (I think he is the greatest thinker right now in Mormonism). He gave a beautiful presentation on faith and reason and spoke of the struggle of negotiating the messy middle. He referred to "the appalling luxury of skepticism". Luxury indeed.

So why bother? For me it is simple. When I have chosen to trust in God and believe in spite of the endless reasons to doubt, I have felt the undeniable love of God. That is my foundation.
                  Well said.

There has to be room for agency. I believe that means there has to be room for people in positions of leadership to abuse their power and commit despicable acts. If not, is there truly agency? As stated above, justice will never be fully satisfied in this life. The Church has an obligation to protect from these kind of acts as much as they can. This case appears to show that they may have had some serious flaws in their approach to this. Changes for the better should come as a result. This story tears at my heart. I had a daughter serve a mission. This hits home. I wish that we could undo the damage done here. I believe/hope that God will, eventually.

I love that Wuap appears to care so much for the venerable that this cuts him to his core. I have had times in my life where I have thought "either God does not exist, or, if he does, he is an **hole." This is a natural response when we witness some of the crap that goes on in this world, especially when it is to someone we deeply love. I believe that when we get to see the big picture, when justice is served and God has his chance to extend his mercy to its full extent, I will be able to look at this and finally understand. For now I try to trust him and try not to do too many despicable things myself.
                  One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                  SU

Comment

I am sure that they ("the brethren") actually believe it matters. Many/most of the members in the middle-level lay ministry likely believe the same thing too; namely, that God cares who is called to such and such a position in such and such a ward or stake or region or mission or temple. Like Lebowski said, it is nothing more than a statement of faith that the person believes that they made a good decision based on the available information. Fair enough. I'm happy to take the statement at face value.
                    Which is why I originally asserted that there are only two options. I'm fairly confident that the FP and Q12 actually believe they receive confirmation for every one of these callings. There may not have been revelation from God, but they believe there was. There is great risk in assuming this process is infallible. I don't think we understand connections to the divine very well at all.

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    However, I would caution against thinking that these declarations add a patina of infallibility to every single hiring decision (calling) that some mid-level manager makes in "The Kingdom™". Could the person have made a different decision, called a different person, and still have been "inspired" to have the right person in that calling. Yes. Could there have been a dozen or a hundred other persons equally qualified that would also be "inspired" choices. Certainly.
                    Agreed. I don't think that necessarily is true of middle management, it's not practical for lay ministry to staff organizations by multi-interview waiting until God reveals His choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      Ugh...reading through this, I see why the Buddha said that metaphysical questions were a wasteful distraction. We have a young woman--make that, at least two young women--who were abused and potentially raped by a man in authority over them, with the organization at least trying to conceal it from public disclosure and possibly trying to smear the victim once it was revealed, and we're lost in the specifics of how God speaks to us, whether by the absence of a no or by a vision or by "it's not a bad idea"? Doesn't that seem a bit...academic, and in a sort of disgusting way?
                      Wow this thread moves quickly. When I read this I had wanted to respond but didn't get to it until now. It reminded me of reading Man's Search for Meaning by Frankl. I had a similar reaction at first. How can he be discussing what he learned about psychology in the midst of the horror of that experience? Does that in any way minimize what happened?

But once the initial shock and disgust has passed, (there is still perpetual shock and disgust, which I'm not dismissing), I think it's normal maybe natural for the human mind to try to find meaning in experience as it relates to us. Peterson would explain this as habitable order using the metaphor of a walled city that each of us has built around us. It is the current order in which we live that is made up of our knowledge and beliefs. It's the same walled city of the Buddha being protected from the suffering of life by his father. We do that for ourselves to keep the chaos of life from completely overwhelming us, our capacity for living in complexity is limited--but expanding. We create temporary order by putting building blocks of belief in place until we have the time and experience to reexamine and rebuild.

Occasionally, our walls are assaulted by the chaos of the unknown or unexpected. This can shatter or at least weaken a belief construction. This then has to be addressed, and that part of the city needs to be strengthened or possibly torn down and rebuilt. New information has to be incorporated. It is normal during this process to seek guidance and even criticism of the previous construction for those that have similar walls. That's what communities are for, they bolster our resolve while we rebuild our walls and help us create a better city.

The discussion here is just a natural consequence of a bit of really ugly chaos that has emerged. The proper way to deal with it is to confront it head on and see what can be learned from it.

I can see how that can come across as unsympathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                        Which is why I originally asserted that there are only two options. I'm fairly confident that the FP and Q12 actually believe they receive confirmation for every one of these callings. There may not have been revelation from God, but they believe there was. There is great risk in assuming this process is infallible. I don't think we understand connections to the divine very well at all.
                        Well, hmmm, I went back and read your original and perhaps I misread your intent. I'm on board with your "fallibility of our leaders" jargon, but only disagree specifically where you contend that "they had received inspiration that God did not send" (your first option). Of course, I don't believe that God personally called Bishop but that he fell from grace (your second option) as I've made my position clear that I don't believe God really gives a shit who serves in what capacity, specifically who fills these middle-level management positions - heck, even who the dang prophet is - any number of persons will be good because they are all just part of the machine, God is actually in charge (see 1 Samuel 10).

With regard to "inspiration that God did not send", I fall back on the position that the person or persons that called Bishop to be MTC president made a decision based on the information that was available. (I'm operating under the assumption that the Church acts in good faith and doesn't specifically call sexual predators as mission presidents; mpfunk and ERCougar and BM and [...] may disagree.) The person or persons that extended Bishop that calling likely prayed about the decision and likely felt that it had divine imprimatur. Pretty much every other of the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of middle-managers that have been called to Church positions before and since were made in like manner.

Do many of these staffing decisions work out? Yes. Do some not work out? Yes. In those cases, were these hiring managers receiving, as you state, "inspiration that God did not send"? I think you say "yes" to that question, but I just can't go there. I'm not going to second guess their decision. I'm not going to second guess their spiritual confirmation either (despite the fact that I really don't think God cares one way or the other). That is just water I'm not willing to wade into - I don't have the information, I didn't do the research, I don't have the data.

In hindsight, this one was not a good fit and wuap and HFN have stated that some line - a Rubicon - has been crossed; ergo the Church lacks the spiritual authority that it claims (I'm summarizing, perhaps unfairly). OK, fine. I think you can take that position, but with it comes a lot of baggage other persons such as Lebowski and creekster have done a much better job of pointing out (specifically about maintaining free agency).

Can I receive inspiration about a decision that involves and/or impacts another person (yes or no)? And does then that inspiration now bind the actions of that person (yes or no)? If the actions of that person nullify my inspiration in a gross and egregious manner, does that nullify my original inspired decision (yes or no)? [Yes. No. No.]

You need not apply those questions to the Bishop example if you are uncomfortable. Apply it to any "inspired" decision you've ever made that involves or impacts another person. Maybe it was a person you were once married to, or a job you once held, or some other shit that hit the fan after making a decision that "felt right". It's messy and unfortunate. But despite that, as Lebowski says, you can still choose "to trust in God and believe in spite of the endless reasons to doubt". Keep the faith!
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I welcome all feedback, unwarranted or not.

We all make decisions using limited understanding and seek reassurances for those decisions. Should I buy this house or that one? Should I tract on this street or the next one? Should I take this job or stay put? Should I move here or settle there? Should I marry this person or that one? Personally, I don't think God cares. He's up there basically saying, "Whatever, man. All roads lead to Rome. Just make it back here and don't be dick while doing so."

I actually don't care. If he stays or goes, I'll still love him!
                          A few years ago, in a stake I used to live in, Elder Holland came to reorganize the stake presidency. He said essentially the same thing as I've highlighted above, that there were quite a few people in the stake whom they could have called and would likely have done a great job. It seemed to me at the moment that he was trying to make the runners-up feel better. I don't remember him going into much, if any, detail about the selected SP being God's choice.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Well, hmmm, I went back and read your original and perhaps I misread your intent. I'm on board with your "fallibility of our leaders" jargon, but only disagree specifically where you contend that "they had received inspiration that God did not send" (your first option). Of course, I don't believe that God personally called Bishop but that he fell from grace (your second option) as I've made my position clear that I don't believe God really gives a shit who serves in what capacity, specifically who fills these middle-level management positions - heck, even who the dang prophet is - any number of persons will be good because they are all just part of the machine, God is actually in charge (see 1 Samuel 10).

With regard to "inspiration that God did not send", I fall back on the position that the person or persons that called Bishop to be MTC president made a decision based on the information that was available. (I'm operating under the assumption that the Church acts in good faith and doesn't specifically call sexual predators as mission presidents; mpfunk and ERCougar and BM and [...] may disagree.) The person or persons that extended Bishop that calling likely prayed about the decision and likely felt that it had divine imprimatur. Pretty much every other of the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of middle-managers that have been called to Church positions before and since were made in like manner.

Do many of these staffing decisions work out? Yes. Do some not work out? Yes. In those cases, were these hiring managers receiving, as you state, "inspiration that God did not send"? I think you say "yes" to that question, but I just can't go there. I'm not going to second guess their decision. I'm not going to second guess their spiritual confirmation either (despite the fact that I really don't think God cares one way or the other). That is just water I'm not willing to wade into - I don't have the information, I didn't do the research, I don't have the data.

In hindsight, this one was not a good fit and wuap and HFN have stated that some line - a Rubicon - has been crossed; ergo the Church lacks the spiritual authority that it claims (I'm summarizing, perhaps unfairly). OK, fine. I think you can take that position, but with it comes a lot of baggage other persons such as Lebowski and creekster have done a much better job of pointing out (specifically about maintaining free agency).

Can I receive inspiration about a decision that involves and/or impacts another person (yes or no)? And does then that inspiration now bind the actions of that person (yes or no)? If the actions of that person nullify my inspiration in a gross and egregious manner, does that nullify my original inspired decision (yes or no)? [Yes. No. No.]

You need not apply those questions to the Bishop example if you are uncomfortable. Apply it to any "inspired" decision you've ever made that involves or impacts another person. Maybe it was a person you were once married to, or a job you once held, or some other shit that hit the fan after making a decision that "felt right". It's messy and unfortunate. But despite that, as Lebowski says, you can still choose "to trust in God and believe in spite of the endless reasons to doubt". Keep the faith!
                            We're not much different here, I was trying to be concise in my language, but it came out looser than intended. My first option was meant to be that because of fallibility, the FP/Q12 can at times feel they have received confirmation, they certainly assert such, but God never actually sent it in a specific case. So they act accordingly. This can easily be extended to "most of the time", but "all of the time" is more problematic for me.

My beliefs fluctuate constantly, but one I settle on quite regularly is that if a person can potentially be successful in a calling, God can and does give affirmation for the appointment. He may will it, even if he has foreseen despicable behavior. Which I think you allude to above. God can not refuse a calling for one who has not yet committed the action, to do so would be unjust and possibly would unravel the plan. This case is more difficult because of the previous established pattern of behavior. The calling may also be the only path by which redemption of that individual is eternally possible. I just really hate to default to the "it will be made right in the afterlife" argument, even though at times I believe that it has merit. The injustice in the world can be difficult to shoulder without occasionally leaning on that crutch. Furthering the argument, agency must be honored in all cases, or God would cease to be God as His honor would be betrayed. He has to act as if He cannot see the future. But I'm not sure I have this fleshed out enough to resist criticism. So I contend with it from time to time. There are enough thoughtful and critical people that participate here that it is worth making my internal contention public. Thank you for the interaction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              A few years ago, in a stake I used to live in, Elder Holland came to reorganize the stake presidency. He said essentially the same thing as I've highlighted above, that there were quite a few people in the stake whom they could have called and would likely have done a great job. It seemed to me at the moment that he was trying to make the runners-up feel better. I don't remember him going into much, if any, detail about the selected SP being God's choice.
                              I would also stipulate that the same line of reasoning can extend to cover the Church for its historic nepotistic practices of hiring (er... calling) multiple persons within the same family tree. It's not that there aren't other persons that couldn't do as good or better job, but sometimes the Church plays it safe and hires what it knows and can safely vouch for. But that doesn't mean these calling can't also be "inspired" IMHO. That being said, I hope those days can be put in the rear view mirror. How many other DFUs are out there just waiting to be discovered?!

Comment

• Since we're playing "Guess the will of The Lord" I'll throw out a "what if" for consideration.... and it's mono dimensional for a change.

What if it was the will of the Lord to have things play out as they have? The Bishop/Female scenario has certainly brought this particular issue to the forefront of the LDS mind. Through discussions like this and on hundreds of other LDS centric sites this topic had been dissected inside out, and right about now the amount of good coming from this topic in the mind and understanding of the LDS culture is fast becoming a net positive for the good that the discussion has had. Hundreds of thousands of people (estimated) have put fingers to key board and expressed their feelings about a myriad of topic that come under the influence of this blunder. People are questioning the Providential nature of the Church, people are coming to an understanding that The Church "needs to do better" in this area of crisis handling. In fact, people are "growing up" and opening their minds in a more healthy relationship with the Church whereas 30 years ago people were more like blind sheep not even considering the Church as a fallible entity.

The blinders are off... and it's a new era in the Church. This is a good thing.

Thanks President Bishop... in you're own screwed up way you've helped the general body of the Saints come to a better understand of the real world.
                                Last edited by clackamascoug; 04-07-2018, 01:51 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X