No announcement yet.

Mountain West Salvation Groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning this thread makes me realize what a pleasure it is to be in a conference where there is universal mutual respect and affection. Pulling for the other pac 12 teams in the NCAA tournament and the bowls has been the natural thing to do. i don't miss the irrestible and inevitable resentment and schadenfreude among MWC schools. Poor havenot bastards.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• LOL

Keep thinking that. They "respect" you.
      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Once Utah and TCU left the MWC, the ship sailed on the MWC. If the MWC had retained, BYU, Utah and TCU, it would be a very solid conference when you throw in Boise St with SDSU and AFA as decent complimentary programs. If that group could have worked out a better TV package, THEN it would have been a better option than independence right now. None of those things happened or will happen, so the MWC is just another college football graveyard.
        I agree completely.

Comment

• Oh man BYU is so screwed. There are no good options.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            Scanning this thread makes me realize what a pleasure it is to be in a conference where there is universal mutual respect and affection. Pulling for the other pac 12 teams in the NCAA tournament and the bowls has been the natural thing to do. i don't miss the irrestible and inevitable resentment and schadenfreude among MWC schools. Poor havenot bastards.
            lol. Best exemplified by HuskyFreeNorthwest.

Comment

Scanning this thread makes me realize what a pleasure it is to be in a conference where there is universal mutual respect and affection. Pulling for the other pac 12 teams in the NCAA tournament and the bowls has been the natural thing to do. i don't miss the irrestible and inevitable resentment and schadenfreude among MWC schools. Poor havenot bastards.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

"Scanning". Heh.

Comment

• Is that kind of like a basketball playoff?
                  Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• He just gets fatter. Don't feed him.
                    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

LOL, I think you are misusing the word "Universal". That being said, excellent troll, it got me.

Comment

Seems like a good time to post this. Also I love the way the student in the ref outfit walks up and asks for the real refs to throw him the ball.

Comment

• Someone on CB was asking about Title IX and the new autonomy provisions the NCAA just approved. Got me thinking, if BYU (or any achool) offers other inducements to their players, doesn't Title IX mandate that those benefits have to extend to all scholarships athletes? For example, if BYU football players get a $5000 stipend, doesn't the women's gymnastics team have to get the same deal?

If that is true, and BYU remains in the WCC, does the WCC allow BYU to pay their athletes while other schools don't? Wouldn't this create an uneven playing field? Are USF and Clara going to be OK with BYU paying their players, while they don't?

I know, a lot of assumptions here. I was just wondering if the new NCAA autonomy measures will create an untenable situation with the WCC. Does that mean that BYU would have to move all sports towards independence? Join a league like the AAC or MWC that might be willing to take us?
                          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                            Someone on CB was asking about Title IX and the new autonomy provisions the NCAA just approved. Got me thinking, if BYU (or any achool) offers other inducements to their players, doesn't Title IX mandate that those benefits have to extend to all scholarships athletes? For example, if BYU football players get a $5000 stipend, doesn't the women's gymnastics team have to get the same deal?

If that is true, and BYU remains in the WCC, does the WCC allow BYU to pay their athletes while other schools don't? Wouldn't this create an uneven playing field? Are USF and Clara going to be OK with BYU paying their players, while they don't?

I know, a lot of assumptions here. I was just wondering if the new NCAA autonomy measures will create an untenable situation with the WCC. Does that mean that BYU would have to move all sports towards independence? Join a league like the AAC or MWC that might be willing to take us?
                            I'm not a Title IX expert, but I think BYU would have a good defense that the discrepancy isn't between men and women, its between football and WCC sports, and therefore that there is not discriminatory intent. That is probably enough to rebut the disparate impact argument.

If BYU has any women's sports that aren't part of the WCC and whatever conference they are in let BYU fund those sports more, than BYU would be golden.
                            I think, perhaps, the only person who hates BYU fans more than ute fans hate BYU fans, is Bronco Mendenhall.
                            -smokymountainrain

Menden Hall Hates Me.

Comment

• The only problem is that BYU will need to keep up in basketball as well. P5 basketball schools will want to take advantage of these rules also. Any P5 school that wants to compete will need to step up too. If Duke, North Carolina, and Kentucky are offering more to attract recruits, then Arizona and UCLA will want to offer more too (and Uncle Phil isn't going to let Oregon be left behind). Grandpa Spence salivates at any chance he can take to one-up BYU, so Utah will offer more for basketball players as well, I'm sure. This will mean that BYU will have to offer the same benefits as Utah if they want to win any recruiting battles.

Unfortunately Gonzaga is the only other WCC school that will want to keep up, and have the resources to do it. St. Mary's, and possibly a couple of other schools, might want to keep up, but they won't be able to do it. So Gonzaga and BYU better start figuring this out before the BYU-Alpine pipeline dries up.

Comment

• Looks like some MWC teams might not be able to keep up.

"@McMurphyESPN: Hawaii AD Ben Jay tells regents "real possibility of football going away” because of UH $2.1M deficit, KITV reports"

Comment

Working...
                                X