Bigfoot: I want to believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    You're a moving target. You're using the absence of fossil Bigfoot as an argument for their nonexistence. I brought up the lack of fossil evidence of a well-known primate to demonstrate why the lack of fossil evidence does not support your position. I know chimps have been seen, captured and studied - that's the point of the analogy. There are good reasons for the lack of fossil evidence of chimps, which potentially also apply to the lack of Bigfoot fossils. Had I pointed to the lack of fossil evidence of unicorns, it wouldn't have supported my argument, would it?
    I think you are confusing me with creekster. I think the lack of bones and carcasses is FAR more compelling.

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    I focused on fossils because you brought it up. "If you go into the forest you will find animal bones everywhere." What forests do you go into? I saw a video once showing a deer carcass decomposing in about a week. If you happen to come upon a recently-killed animal, you may find some bones. But how often have you come across the remains of an apex predator, such as a mountain lion or a bear? For what would be an apex predator which is far rarer than mountain lions or bears, it's not surprising that there aren't a lot of bones around. If you also consider that Bigfoot reportedly live primarily in the more remote parts of the forest, it's really not that surprising people aren't stumbling on bigfoot bones.
    Apex predator bones are less prevalent than deer, etc. but they exist in great abundance. I have seen several. Still waiting to see a single Bigfoot skeleton.

By pointing out that chimps are seen, you're implying that Bigfoot aren't. Which is true if you discount the thousands of witness reports, as you have in your last sentence. They are either hoaxes or imagined. There are some questions raised by that, however. Why aren't there thousands of reported sightings of unicorns? Or mermaids? Or fairies? Why the disproportionate number of bigfoot sightings?
    More popular myth I suppose. Again, alien and ghost encounters are pretty common too.

Also, BFRO has maps of their recorded witness encounters. They're not random. They are most frequent in areas of thick or remote forest. Keep in mind, there are a lot of roadside encounters - but primarily in heavily-forested areas. Are there more delusional people near forests?
    People expect to see them near forests and so they imagine they see them. They wouldn't expect to see them near the desert.

If you take the time to actually read some of the witness statements, you find that many of them come across as regular people who never believed in bigfoot before (of course, I'm sure you'd point out that they could be bigfoot believers in disguise).

Yeah, there are crazies who believe in bigfoot. But there are also quite a few intelligent, successful, sane people who do as well. Not people who seem to be prone to imagining seeing big, hairy monsters in the woods.

If you really want to see a scientific approach to bigfoot, look up Dr. Jeff Meldrum's studies on bigfoot footprints. He's an expert in foot morphology and locomotion in primates, and he's published articles and papers on why he believes some of the alleged bigfoot footprints cannot be faked.
    Meldrum is a kook.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I bet Lebowski didn't believe in the Kraken, either. Until today!

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        I thought they admitted this was a hoax?
        Nope. You may be confusing this with the guy who admitted that the famous Loch Ness Monster photo was a hoax.
        If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

• No blurry photos or shaky video of Daisy yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I think you are confusing me with creekster. I think the lack of bones and carcasses is FAR more compelling.
            You're right. I'm mixing up my primates.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Apex predator bones are less prevalent than deer, etc. but they exist in great abundance. I have seen several. Still waiting to see a single Bigfoot skeleton.
            Wait a couple weeks. I also would question where you're looking. Plus, with Bigfoot allegedly being a bipedal hominid, and (at least according to Dr. Ketchum) possibly a human/relic human hybrid, that would come with increase intelligence (above that of any other apex predator). There are reports that bigfoot live primarily in family pods, and that they bury their dead. While I'm sure that's a little far out there to convince you, there is precedent in the known natural world, in that elephants are known to have a death ritual, in which they treat their dead with special care. They have been observed to guard the body of a dead herd member, and to cover a dead elephant with branches and dirt.

More popular myth I suppose. Again, alien and ghost encounters are pretty common too.

People expect to see them near forests and so they imagine they see them. They wouldn't expect to see them near the desert.
            There are plenty of wooded areas where there are few or no reports of bigfoot. If it's pure myth and imagination, you wouldn't expect to see any real pattern in the sightings, but you do.[/QUOTE]

Meldrum is a kook.
            I'm curious - is this based on any observation or knowledge of him independent of his involvement in Bigfoot research?

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

• An interesting point here: Has a previously-unknown, human-sized primate been discovered and first scientifically proven within the last 20 years?

Answer: Yes. The Bili Ape, which looks primarily like a 6-foot tall (when standing upright) chimp, but has some gorilla characteristics, as well, was discovered (at least a skull was) by a Swiss photographer in 1996. They were first located and studied by scientists in 2005-2006, in the Congo. Prior to that, there was local legend and some physical evidence (which many would probably have found unpersuasive, anyway).

Comment

• I'd also like to point out that fossils of ManBearPig have never been found, yet we all know he exists.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
                "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

• Hey! Be fair to my posts!

I don't have time to go in to detail but I want to point out that I also mentioned the lack of carcasses etc. that is highly compelling from my POV. Fact is we have neither fossils nor bones nor carcasses etc. nothing that is reliable or undisputed.

Most simply stateD, I think Bigfoot is a manifestation of our collective fear of the dark. Seriously. We are all afraid of the monster beyond the fire light or in the close etc. it is a powerful psychological urge.

Otherwise I think most of the Bigfoot crowd tries to apologize for lack of evidence but never actually produces it. A captured Bigfoot? Please.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Wait a couple weeks. I also would question where you're looking. Plus, with Bigfoot allegedly being a bipedal hominid, and (at least according to Dr. Ketchum) possibly a human/relic human hybrid, that would come with increase intelligence (above that of any other apex predator). There are reports that bigfoot live primarily in family pods, and that they bury their dead. While I'm sure that's a little far out there to convince you, there is precedent in the known natural world, in that elephants are known to have a death ritual, in which they treat their dead with special care. They have been observed to guard the body of a dead herd member, and to cover a dead elephant with branches and dirt.
                    LOL. They bury their dead. Of course.

I will reiterate my earlier offer: bet me $100 that we won't have a confirmed captured Bigfoot (live or dead) in two weeks. I will even give you 2:1 odds if you like.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

There are plenty of wooded areas where there are few or no reports of bigfoot. If it's pure myth and imagination, you wouldn't expect to see any real pattern in the sightings, but you do.
                      So how did Bigfoot get to Australia? That is the most unique and biologically isolated place on the planet. Yet somehow the folks down under are reportedly seeing Bigfoot everywhere. Hmmm....
                      Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• What population size would be required to sustain this animal as a viable species over an area as vast as, say, the Sierra Nevada or the Himalayas or the Coastal range? That's a helluva lot of apes.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          Most simply stateD, I think Bigfoot is a manifestation of our collective fear of the dark. Seriously. We are all afraid of the monster beyond the fire light or in the close etc. it is a powerful psychological urge.
                          I think this is the most reasonable explanation for sightings and searchings. It also explains why nearly every culture and continent have bigfoot legends.

As a sidenote, it's interesting how much SoCal's arguments remind me of the days when I used to read FARMS.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post

As a sidenote, it's interesting how much SoCal's arguments remind me of the days when I used to read FARMS.
                            Point taken for a low blow. Keep the gloves above the belt.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• This is one of my favorite threads. Keep up the good fight SoCalCoug.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                This is one of my favorite threads. Keep up the good fight SoCalCoug.
                                Seriously. SoCal is killing it.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X