Sochi 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
    In fact, you never saw the skating of figure eights, only saw it reported. Yes, I was tortured years ago. Now, with the results known, I can blab the results so nobody will watch them in our house.

I am no fan of sports that aren't time or measured. Judged. Meh.
    Probably they cut it to preempt the bad jokes. "How'd the American figure skater do last night?" "Oh, she got an eight!"

τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

In fact, you never saw the skating of figure eights, only saw it reported. Yes, I was tortured years ago. Now, with the results known, I can blab the results so nobody will watch them in our house.

I am no fan of sports that aren't time or measured. Judged. Meh.
      we have gone over this in the past but events that are decided by a judges score are not sports anyway.

Also, I really dislike these events that lead the viewer to believe that the participant is really attractive, only to come to find out that the participant is around 4 feet tall and has massive quads.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• These female luge participants all seem to be Packin' in the back.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          we have gone over this in the past but events that are decided by a judges score are not sports anyway.

Also, I really dislike these events that lead the viewer to believe that the participant is really attractive, only to come to find out that the participant is around 4 feet tall and has massive quads.
          Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And there's no accounting for taste.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Some of you sound like a bunch of Korean short track whiners. We loved it when it was Anton Ono bumping people and winning golds.

I don't know why NBC doesn't offer a live feed option for as many events as possible.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
              Some of you sound like a bunch of Korean short track whiners. We loved it when it was Anton Ono bumping people and winning golds.

I don't know why NBC doesn't offer a live feed option for as many events as possible.
              Our first day with no medals whatsoever. Mancuso bombed in the downhill. We need to identify young talent better so we don't have to rely upon the old and over the hill.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Our first day with no medals whatsoever. Mancuso bombed in the downhill. We need to identify young talent better so we don't have to rely upon the old and over the hill.
                Man, you are a whiner. You said above you have been watching the Olympics for 40+ years. Surely then you remember that until very recently the USA couldn't compete in mosts of the winter events. The alpine, cross country, and sled events have always been dominated by Europe. Introduction of freestyle skiing and snowboarding helped North America a lot in the overall medal count, but the USA has also closed the gap in the traditional winter sports. To complain that we "bombed" in the downhill is silly. It's the most dangerous unpredictible race in alpine skiing. Traditional powerhouses "bomb" in downhill at the olympics all the time. Austria has more total olympic medals in skiing than any country in history, but they just won their first gold in 12 years.

I think when it comes down to it, it is difficult to attract young athletic talent in the United States to niche sports that are very expensive to pursue. The fact that we are now competing and winning medals in alpine, cross country and even sleds over the past few Olympics shows that the U.S. teams have gotten much better at recruiting/developing talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  Man, you are a whiner. You said above you have been watching the Olympics for 40+ years. Surely then you remember that until very recently the USA couldn't compete in mosts of the winter events. The alpine, cross country, and sled events have always been dominated by Europe. Introduction of freestyle skiing and snowboarding helped North America a lot in the overall medal count, but the USA has also closed the gap in the traditional winter sports. To complain that we "bombed" in the downhill is silly. It's the most dangerous unpredictible race in alpine skiing. Traditional powerhouses "bomb" in downhill at the olympics all the time. Austria has more total olympic medals in skiing than any country in history, but they just won their first gold in 12 years.

I think when it comes down to it, it is difficult to attract young athletic talent in the United States to niche sports that are very expensive to pursue. The fact that we are now competing and winning medals in alpine, cross country and even sleds over the past few Olympics shows that the U.S. teams have gotten much better at recruiting/developing talent.
                  We have been erratic in the alpine events, as we won some in 1960, and again in 1968 with Billy the Kid when Jean Claude Killy did the remarkable. (My parents told me about 1960 and I remember the fuzzy black and white of Billy the Kid). We had the kids from Vermont during the seventies, and the Mahres during eighties where we fared okay in Sarajevo and Lillehammer (90s). I believe we even had some success in Calgary. Torino was okay as well. (this is from memory so I might have dates mixed up).

No in alpine this is one of our worst starts. Perhaps Shiffrin will shine.

Nordic, except for Bill Koch in 72 in Austria, has seen a dearth of success. He introduced the skating technique. Before that it had been since the thirties IIRC.

Sledding had traditionally gone to Eastern Bloc countries or Switzerland or Austria. But in large part that was due to a lack of training facilities or money invested in the sleds.

We have more people who ski that the entire population of Switzerland, so it shouldn't be that hard to find adequate ski talent.
                  Last edited by Topper; 02-12-2014, 06:03 AM.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I was thinking something similar last night while watching women's biathlon. Apparently the biathlon is the only winter Olympic event in which the us has never won a medal, or so they said on TV. The biathlon consists of two things... Skiing and shooting a gun. America can't find people who can ski and shoot guns???

i can somewhat understand our lack of success in luge. Despite our population base, we lack the facilities across the country for kids to train and be exposed early on. In Germany, someone would have to travel far less and for much cheaper to access a track for training.

but biathlon??? And skiing in general? I don't understand why we aren't better at these sports.

sigpic

Comment

• Also some of the biathlon women were packing as well.

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking something similar last night while watching women's biathlon. Apparently the biathlon is the only winter Olympic event in which the us has never won a medal, or so they said on TV. The biathlon consists of two things... Skiing and shooting a gun. America can't find people who can ski and shoot guns???

i can somewhat understand our lack of success in luge. Despite our population base, we lack the facilities across the country for kids to train and be exposed early on. In Germany, someone would have to travel far less and for much cheaper to access a track for training.

but biathlon??? And skiing in general? I don't understand why we aren't better at these sports.
                        Makes sense to me. These sports a big big deal in Northern Europe and therefore attract top athletes. Top US athletes are drawn to other things.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Makes sense to me. These sports a big big deal in Northern Europe and therefore attract top athletes. Top US athletes are drawn to other things.
                          This is what I was getting at. The options available to top athletes combined with the expense of pursuing winter olympic sports in the U.S. pushes our top athletic talent to non-olympic sports most of the time.

Comment

I was thinking something similar last night while watching women's biathlon. Apparently the biathlon is the only winter Olympic event in which the us has never won a medal, or so they said on TV. The biathlon consists of two things... Skiing and shooting a gun. America can't find people who can ski and shoot guns???

This should be a natural for our special forces athletes, which are the competitors which the Eastern Bloc historically used to win this type of competition. Word has it the Scandinavian countries may have done the same.

We should be able to generate enough from our military forces to win one little medal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                              This is what I was getting at. The options available to top athletes combined with the expense of pursuing winter olympic sports in the U.S. pushes our top athletic talent to non-olympic sports most of the time.
                              And with the billion or so dollars doled out to the USOC we should make it easier for kids who want that. It's not as if kids in Germany don't have other options. Most grow up wanting to be soccer stars.

Comment

• and the losses continue to mount. In the US Canada hockey match, Canada won 3 to 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X