New LDS Church Website: Mormons and Gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    There are other leaders that I think have done incalculable damage to the church in their time. I would classify these as BY (depending on viewpoint), JFS, JFiS, BRM, ETB and BKP.

Of the last category, I actually think one of these men was evil. Wicked. Not righteous. One other I think was a liar (although the tradition of lying for the Lord has much precedent). The others were just hardliners, people who couldn't see past their own opinions. BKP is in this very last group.
    Woah. I almost hesitate to ask, but . . . nah, I'll hold off for now.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      It's a sign the church is getting away from correlation. Moliere should be uncorking the champagne.
      I've uncorked the Martinellis. We aren't far enough along to uncork the champagne yet.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Woah. I almost hesitate to ask, but . . . nah, I'll hold off for now.
        The answers are BY and JFiS respectively.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I want to be present in the spirit world when you finally meet up with those two.

“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I was right!
            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
              I want to be present in the spirit world when you finally meet up with those two.

Based on what I just said, I'm pretty sure we're never going to be in the same place.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Based on what I just said, I'm pretty sure we're never going to be in the same place.
                Maybe at the final judgment?
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

Which is why it will be all the more awkward when you do meet up. Just imagine the look on your face when you first see him and start wondering where you are . . . .
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I hope that LAU understands that he is not obligated to defend every statement or position of the church. They won't excommunicate him if he doesn't.
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                      I hope that LAU understands that he is not obligated to defend every statement or position of the church. They won't excommunicate him if he doesn't.
                      I feel like sometimes he and Indy in particular are simply trying to bring some balance to the board. On certain topics, this board is incredibly one sided and that gets really boring, especially if I agree with that side. I, for one, appreciate the effort.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        I feel like sometimes he and Indy in particular are simply trying to bring some balance to the board. On certain topics, this board is incredibly one sided and that gets really boring, especially if I agree with that side. I, for one, appreciate the effort.
                        That's fine and balance is great. But when you have otherwise reasonable people (on either side) spinning like crazy it gets old.
                        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Come on. You all know you need me here.

Seriously, this very fine board has a...tendency to become an echo chamber in which certain positions, although eminently debatable, are treated as ironclad truths that any serious person accepts. I can't resist responding to that kind of discourse.

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                          That's fine and balance is great. But when you have otherwise reasonable people (on either side) spinning like crazy it gets old.
                          If you catch me spinning, point it out. If I agree that I am spinning (and I promise to be fair) I promise not to eat at Cafe Rio for at least 6 months.
                          ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                            Come on. You all know you need me here.

Seriously, this very fine board has a...tendency to become an echo chamber in which certain positions, although eminently debatable, are treated as ironclad truths that any serious person accepts. .
                            But isn't this all that the church is (any church for that matter)? Isn't that basically what happens every Sunday? People reverberating the same ideas and thoughts over and over treating them as ironclad truths that any person with an ounce of common sense should understand and believe? Do you offer up the opposing viewpoint in that locale?
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

But isn't this all that the church is (any church for that matter)? Isn't that basically what happens every Sunday? People reverberating the same ideas and thoughts over and over treating them as ironclad truths that any person with an ounce of common sense should understand and believe? Do you offer up the opposing viewpoint in that locale?
                              A typically fair and sincere question from you, which, as usual, made me think. It seems to me that this board and the Mormon church are apples and oranges. This is a discussion board and exists for debate, whereas our church is, well, a church, and one doesn't go there to debate, at least not in the same way one comes here. Also, the intellectual condescension you describe does not really exist in our church to any significant degree. It is, sadly, present here a bit too often, IMO.

That said, in church when people do get a little too group-thinky for my tastes, I do try to nudge the conversation towards a broader way of thinking. You'd be surprised.
                              ― W.H. Auden

Comment

I suppose this was inevitable.

http://mormonsandnegroes.org/
                                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                                X