Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    That would scare me pretty badly. How did you proceed? The worst I've seen is a rattlesnake and a bull moose. Fortunately, I was going downhill and moving pretty fast when I came upon the rattlesnake and passed it before anything could happen.
    It was no big deal. The badger was facing the other way, about 12 yards away from me as I came around a corner. But I had been riding uphill, and was only going about 4 mph. It gave a quick look and started ambling off, then turned fully around and looked at me for a second before continuing off the trail and up into the scrub oak. I wish I'd had time to take a picture.

I have had some interesting encounters with rattlers, though. I posted a picture of one last year that had been sunning itself on the trail as I was chugging uphill. It just slithered off the trail, coiled up, and looked at me from about a foot into some scrub oak. Here it is again.

Comment

• First long ride in over a month, and it felt surprisingly good, although we didn't kill it. I was happy to learn that if one does some running and weights throughout a layoff, getting back in the saddle isn't all that tough, as long as one's expectations are modest. And Strava is very humbling, as among the men I'm always in the lower ranks, but I have to keep reminding myself that Strava is hardly a cross-section of cyclists generally.

Comment

• A ward buddy and I had a crazy idea to go do a century ride at some point. Well, he found one that is run out of Weimar, TX, which is basically the gateway to hill country. We didn't know that until we signed up and then mapped the course on garmin, which showed us the elevation changes. This is not like climbing any mountain, but the course was almost never level with some steep and short descents and ascents. Given that I had the flu this week I almost bailed, but on Saturday morning we decided to just do it. There were 3 different distances (63,47,34) and the century ride is basically the 63 miler and then the 34 miler so we figured we'd do the 63 miler and then stop if we didn't feel up to it.

We started out strong and the first 40 miles or so were pretty easy. We were averaging around 17-18 mph, which was more than we had planned. After about 40 miles my buddy seemed to bonk a bit as I found myself pulling him most of the rest of the 23 miles back to Weimar. I even left him twice as he couldn't power up any of the hills. The winds had picked up around the 50 mile mark and unfortunately miles 60-80 were basically going straight into the wind with a lot of it uphill. At mile 63 we were back in Weimar and he said he's fine bailing on the final 34 miles, but I figured we were there and I was actually feeling pretty good so I was going to do it with or without him. He decided to tag along and we took off, into the wind. The next 15-20 miles were the most brutal I've ever had. The winds were around 15-20 miles and some of the hills were killing me. There was one hill that I almost got off the bike and walk up it. I averaged around 10-11 mph over this stretch. Just brutal.

We made it to the last breakpoint, which was basically mile 87 and it was the turn back to Weimar. The last 10 miles were glorious as I spent the better part of the time going downhill with the strong wind at my back. There were minutes that I didn't pedal at all and I was cruising at 20mph on a slight decline. I got back to Weimar and waited for my buddy who was a good 5 minutes back. We rode another 3 miles together to get the full century.

Anyway, it feels really good to have completed a century ride and even better to have fought the winds and hills to get there.

Looks like my Garmin doesn't do well with century rides, but at least it got half of the course I rode.
        http://connect.garmin.com/activity/405065683
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Couple of pics:

Last edited by Moliere; 11-17-2013, 07:25 AM.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Congrats on the first century, Moliere! And like you, I HATE riding into the wind. I'd much rather climb for miles than fight a nasty headwind--maybe it's because when you're done you can see what you accomplished, with a great view, while the wind provides no visible evidence of achievement. Way to tough it out.

Comment

• Way to go Moliere. After your legs recover from this century you won't believe how good you feel on your shorter rides.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                A ward buddy and I had a crazy idea to go do a century ride at some point. Well, he found one that is run out of Weimar, TX, which is basically the gateway to hill country. We didn't know that until we signed up and then mapped the course on garmin, which showed us the elevation changes. This is not like climbing any mountain, but the course was almost never level with some steep and short descents and ascents. Given that I had the flu this week I almost bailed, but on Saturday morning we decided to just do it. There were 3 different distances (63,47,34) and the century ride is basically the 63 miler and then the 34 miler so we figured we'd do the 63 miler and then stop if we didn't feel up to it.

We started out strong and the first 40 miles or so were pretty easy. We were averaging around 17-18 mph, which was more than we had planned. After about 40 miles my buddy seemed to bonk a bit as I found myself pulling him most of the rest of the 23 miles back to Weimar. I even left him twice as he couldn't power up any of the hills. The winds had picked up around the 50 mile mark and unfortunately miles 60-80 were basically going straight into the wind with a lot of it uphill. At mile 63 we were back in Weimar and he said he's fine bailing on the final 34 miles, but I figured we were there and I was actually feeling pretty good so I was going to do it with or without him. He decided to tag along and we took off, into the wind. The next 15-20 miles were the most brutal I've ever had. The winds were around 15-20 miles and some of the hills were killing me. There was one hill that I almost got off the bike and walk up it. I averaged around 10-11 mph over this stretch. Just brutal.

We made it to the last breakpoint, which was basically mile 87 and it was the turn back to Weimar. The last 10 miles were glorious as I spent the better part of the time going downhill with the strong wind at my back. There were minutes that I didn't pedal at all and I was cruising at 20mph on a slight decline. I got back to Weimar and waited for my buddy who was a good 5 minutes back. We rode another 3 miles together to get the full century.

Anyway, it feels really good to have completed a century ride and even better to have fought the winds and hills to get there.

Looks like my Garmin doesn't do well with century rides, but at least it got half of the course I rode.
                http://connect.garmin.com/activity/405065683
                I could have sworn you were describing day 1 of MS150 two years ago. Just remember that if you ever get the hankering to sign up. Same general area, nasty winds, 10mph stretches, except only 75 miles instead of 100. Tough ride, and congrats for finishing. We flatlanders can struggle sometimes in even smaller hills - just not used to it - so that made it extra tough.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• I thought we were going to go 40+ today (clear skies, temps in the 60's--why not?), but we decided it would be better to spend several hours dismantling Christmas trees, taking down thousands of exterior lights and putting away loads of Christmas decorations. We got done around 2:00 pm and my New Year's resolution to log 3500 miles in 2014 was already in peril. So we headed out for an abbreviated ride of 20 miles and the initial headwind was miserable. Ah, but the return trip... We averaged less than 14 going out, and cranked around 23 on the way back, and that included lots of stoplights. More importantly, after feeling pretty tired and listless after all the earlier work, the ride really energized us. That one's of the great things about exercise and being in shape. It's better than a drug, or so I've heard.

Comment

• I found myself with a free Saturday morning today, as my wife and kids were driving back from a 3 day ward youth trip to the coast. After an early morning run, like PAC, I spent several hours taking down the outdoor Christmas lights and doing a much needed clean up of the garage. At that point it was noon, and the weather was beautiful, albeit quite windy. So I decided to head out for my first road ride in about 2 months. I've spent all of my riding time on the trainer lately, so it was really nice to actually hit the open road for once. The headwind was killer going out, and really sapped me of a lot of whatever power I had in my legs. So I l limped home for about 18 miles and was greeted with a fresh crab that the group pulled out of humboldt bay just this morning.

Comment

• Since someone apparently cancelled winter, we're taking advantage by riding and running more than usual. We did an out-and-back with a fair amount of climbing. On the steep incline of Mines Road, I kind of zoned out while pedaling along at 6 mph or so (hey, it's a 6-7% grade, so stop laughing) when I was startled by a perky feminine voice that was not my wife's. "How far are you going," the woman asked as she moved past me, and the slowed to chat a bit, as if I could spare any oxygen at all.

As we talked, I was distressed, not only by the fact that she was performing effortlessly, but also by the fact that despite her obvious fitness, her hair was totally gray. I finally said, "I don't mean to be rude, sexist or ageist, but I have to say I'm very impressed and my ego is taking a hit here. Would you mind telling me your age?" "65," she responded proudly. After a bit more conversation, she took off leaving us in the dust, but not before she apply a little balm to damaged manhood (figuratively speaking, of course), by telling us that she is the current national champion in her age group. It helped, a little.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        Since someone apparently cancelled winter, we're taking advantage by riding and running more than usual. We did an out-and-back with a fair amount of climbing. On the steep incline of Mines Road, I kind of zoned out while pedaling along at 6 mph or so (hey, it's a 6-7% grade, so stop laughing) when I was startled by a perky feminine voice that was not my wife's. "How far are you going," the woman asked as she moved past me, and the slowed to chat a bit, as if I could spare any oxygen at all.

As we talked, I was distressed, not only by the fact that she was performing effortlessly, but also by the fact that despite her obvious fitness, her hair was totally gray. I finally said, "I don't mean to be rude, sexist or ageist, but I have to say I'm very impressed and my ego is taking a hit here. Would you mind telling me your age?" "65," she responded proudly. After a bit more conversation, she took off leaving us in the dust, but not before she apply a little balm to damaged manhood (figuratively speaking, of course), by telling us that she is the current national champion in her age group. It helped, a little.
                        I am all in favor of cancelling winter.

In recovering from knee surgery I am inching my way back to health. I am impressed by everybody's fitness and rides, and envy you all. Tomorrow I shall forgo church to worship the outdoors and regain my physical health by cycling a little. First mini-ride today in eight months. I mean mini-mini. One hundred minutes only. Tomorrow hopefully time for more.
                        Last edited by Topper; 01-18-2014, 04:24 PM.
                        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

That's one of the beauties of cycling. As you get older the drop off doesn't seem as fast or as far. Keep at it PAC, I'm sure you'll take her next time.

Comment

This story reminds me of when I participated in the Pole, Pedal, Paddle in Bend, Oregon a few years ago. I was chosen to complete the skate ski leg of the race. As I went through the course, I was constantly being passed by ladies who were at least in their sixties. Even more, it's pretty common for teams to dress up for the race, so many of them were wearing tutus, wigs, etc. It was humbling.
                            When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
                              This story reminds me of when I participated in the Pole, Pedal, Paddle in Bend, Oregon a few years ago. I was chosen to complete the skate ski leg of the race. As I went through the course, I was constantly being passed by ladies who were at least in their sixties. Even more, it's pretty common for teams to dress up for the race, so many of them were wearing tutus, wigs, etc. It was humbling.
                              Do you remember when Cougartalk's Paul O'Connor from Ireland entered the Olympics on behalf of Ireland? He didn't finish last but he wasn't competitive. (Neither would I be and kudos to him for having done so.) http://news.bbc.co.uk/winterolympics...00/1830682.stm
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I've been fighting a bad cough the past week, but we headed out this morning and had a great ride. Conditions were near perfect--temps around 60, little wind, sunny, etc., and we saw nearly 200 other riders, including one pack of around 50. The wife's new wheel set (she got the Mavic Aksiums) seemed to agree with her, and I was the beneficiary on a couple of her pulls. It was one of those rides where you feel better at the end than at the start.

Comment

Working...
                                X