No announcement yet.

The End of Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Hernandez found to have severe CTE. One of the examiners said it was the worst case he has seen in someone Hernandez's age.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/s...imes&smtyp=cur

Probably can't blame CTE on him being a murderous thug, but it likely didn't help, either.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      Aaron Hernandez found to have severe CTE. One of the examiners said it was the worst case he has seen in someone Hernandez's age.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/s...imes&smtyp=cur

Probably can't blame CTE on him being a murderous thug, but it likely didn't help, either.
      Maybe he got it during prison fights.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        Maybe he got it during prison fights.
        That's a lot of prison fights! Not that I'd put it past him.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
          Seems the guy beats up on the 99% of nfl players have cte strawman. I haven't seen any headlines like that.
          I post this this morning and then I read this article. Doh!

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/21/...ion-detection/

Cranial collisions are haunting the sports world more and more. A recent survey of 111 former football player's brains found that 110 showed signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative disease caused by repeated blows like those delivered in the high-contact sport.

In my defense, it isn't in the headline, just the first paragraph.

At least BYU is stepping in to save the day.

Comment

• Football is dead...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Interesting story on ESPN about how insurance companies are shying away from covering football and other contact sports.

From the NFL to rec leagues, football is facing a stark, new threat: an evaporating insurance market that is fundamentally altering the economics of the sport, squeezing and even killing off programs faced with higher costs and a scarcity of available coverage, an Outside the Lines investigation has found
              Also talks about Merrill Hoge's book, skeptical of the whole CTE thing.

At the end of the day, sports programs are dropping football due to liability issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                Interesting story on ESPN about how insurance companies are shying away from covering football and other contact sports.

Also talks about Merrill Hoge's book, skeptical of the whole CTE thing.

At the end of the day, sports programs are dropping football due to liability issues.
                Insurance companies don't want to insure football, but they sure love advertising during it. If they really want to make a point, yank those advertising dollars. But they don't really want to make a point, they just want to maximize their premiums and minimize their payouts. /soapbox
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Insurance companies don't want to insure football, but they sure love advertising during it. If they really want to make a point, yank those advertising dollars. But they don't really want to make a point, they just want to maximize their premiums and minimize their payouts. /soapbox
                  How dare you speak so cynically about the pure insurance industry. They just want to help us all. How dare you think it is all about maximizing their premiums and minimizing their payouts. How dare you.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

They aren’t not insuring football to make a point. They are doing it because the payout is either too great or too difficult to estimate (since it could be 20-30 years before they pay out on claims). It’s a financial decision, not a moral one, as is their decision to advertise during football games.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

They aren’t not insuring football to make a point. They are doing it because the payout is either too great or too difficult to estimate (since it could be 20-30 years before they pay out on claims). It’s a financial decision, not a moral one, as is their decision to advertise during football games.
                      Heartless accountant
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        Heartless accountant

I blame the actuaries.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

They aren’t not insuring football to make a point.
                          So by this double negative you are saying they are insuring football to make a point? Huh?!!

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
                            So by this double negative you are saying they are insuring football to make a point? Huh?!!
                            Ha! I saw that and expected DH to say something.

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
                              I’m no DH, but I’ve said this phrase in my head a dozen times and it makes sense to me

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                Heartless accountant
                                I would take that as a compliment.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X