Unfortunately, current conditions:

11/07/13 01:05:00 PM

Current Temp:44
    Temp High:44
    Temp Low:38
    Wind:0 WNW
    Peak gust:20
    Windchill:44
    We can't all live in the ski Mecca of Utah.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• After Thanksgiving I am taking the clan down to the Canyons to ski next Friday and Saturday. It appears that the Canyons only has a base of about 20 inches so I am wondering if I would be better served to head over to Solitude for at least one day. The weather report indicates limited snow between today and next Friday so I am a bit concerned that the Canyons is going to suck with uneven early season conditions. For those of you familiar with the Canyons, I have never skied there, will a 20 inch base be enough? I understand the Canyons has its own snow making capability to perhaps that 20 inches is the au natural and they will augment that with the man made stuff. I have a bit of a reputation with ballyhooing man made augmentations but I am wondering what to expect at the Canyons.

Edit: I am more than comfortable staying on the groomed trails at the Canyons. I am not a real great skier so I don't get off the groomers until I am real comfortable/familiar with a mountain and if the steepness isn't real brutal. I will have my entire clan and my wife is about a lower intermediate level skier. I am about a mid. My 9 yr old twins are definitely better than I am. My 11 year old is about where I am as she bounces between snowboarding and skiing. Our 5 yr old will likely be in school or on easy going green runs.

What is the advise of those of you more familiar with the area.
      Last edited by Goatnapper'96; 11-22-2013, 08:27 AM.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Edit: I am more than comfortable staying on the groomed trails at the Canyons. I am not a real great skier so I don't get off the groomers until I am real comfortable/familiar with a mountain and if the steepness isn't real brutal. I will have my entire clan and my wife is about a lower intermediate level skier. I am about a mid. My 9 yr old twins are definitely better than I am. My 11 year old is about where I am as she bounces between snowboarding and skiing. Our 5 yr old will likely be in school or on easy going green runs.

What is the advise of those of you more familiar with the area.
        They'e been blowing the fake stuff since early October on the main runs so if you're sticking to groomers you should be fine. Venture off the trail and you need to be more careful.

Comment

• Getting excited for some Christmas skiing. Usually end up where baby bro has his season pass for the year, which this year is apparently Basin. Anxious to check it out, as I used to do weekend ski bus there as a kid (leaving from FJH bright and early in the morning!) but haven't been there for years and seen all the expansion. Checked out tickets yesterday and a day pass is $86...holy shit! When i did ski bus I think it was $24 a day (I'm starting to feel like BYU71). Fortunately baby bro gets some 50% off passes for friends so I'll be snagging those from him.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            Getting excited for some Christmas skiing. Usually end up where baby bro has his season pass for the year, which this year is apparently Basin. Anxious to check it out, as I used to do weekend ski bus there as a kid (leaving from FJH bright and early in the morning!) but haven't been there for years and seen all the expansion. Checked out tickets yesterday and a day pass is $86...holy shit! When i did ski bus I think it was $24 a day (I'm starting to feel like BYU71). Fortunately baby bro gets some 50% off passes for friends so I'll be snagging those from him.
            I love that place. I'm jealous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              I love that place. I'm jealous.
              Jealous? You get to ski those parts whenever you want! My excursions to Utah mountains are limited to 2-3 days a year so I'm the jealous one.

Last year we did Snowbird (which I love) and the year before Park City (which has always been "meh" for me), so I'm stoked to see Basin again. My sister's fam just moved to Mountain Green right there below Trapper's Loop so I'll have somewhere to crash near the resort.

Comment

Jealous? You get to ski those parts whenever you want! My excursions to Utah mountains are limited to 2-3 days a year so I'm the jealous one.
                I'm having shoulder surgery in two weeks so skiing is off the table for at least a couple of months or longer. That's why I'm jealous.

Comment

Getting excited for some Christmas skiing. Usually end up where baby bro has his season pass for the year, which this year is apparently Basin. Anxious to check it out, as I used to do weekend ski bus there as a kid (leaving from FJH bright and early in the morning!) but haven't been there for years and seen all the expansion. Checked out tickets yesterday and a day pass is $86...holy shit! When i did ski bus I think it was $24 a day (I'm starting to feel like BYU71). Fortunately baby bro gets some 50% off passes for friends so I'll be snagging those from him.
                  Gondolas are the truth! Tough to go back to chairlifts after spending most of the day in the Main or Strawberry gondolas. But the John Paul and Porcupine chairs have some fun areas to explore.

My brother had a season pass to S-Basin last year, and he felt they oversold. Crowds were bad, so much so that he went with a Brighton pass this year. However, with the Parley and Cottonwood resorts giving much better deals on season passes this year, hopefully it will draw some of the crowds away.
                  Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-22-2013, 11:33 AM.

Comment

They'e been blowing the fake stuff since early October on the main runs so if you're sticking to groomers you should be fine. Venture off the trail and you need to be more careful.
                    At lunch I saw they updated their #'s. They got a foot up there yesterday and now the base is about 10 inches deeper of fresh new powder. That along with the man made stuff should have the groomers in good shape!

My nipples are hard already!

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      At lunch I saw they updated their #'s. They got a foot up there yesterday and now the base is about 10 inches deeper of fresh new powder. That along with the man made stuff should have the groomers in good shape!

My nipples are hard already!
                      We are up at snowbird this weekend. There are only 2 runs open. My biggest reason for skiing this week is to say I skied on opening weekend. Other than that the conditions are poor. An acquaintance from HS heads the snowmaking ops at snowbird. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he said they've been blowing a few million gallons/day since October. Still need more from Mother Nature.
                      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                        We are up at snowbird this weekend. There are only 2 runs open. My biggest reason for skiing this week is to say I skied on opening weekend. Other than that the conditions are poor. An acquaintance from HS heads the snowmaking ops at snowbird. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he said they've been blowing a few million gallons/day since October. Still need more from Mother Nature.
                        i went the thursday before the Wisconsin game
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I'm having shoulder surgery in two weeks so skiing is off the table for at least a couple of months or longer. That's why I'm jealous.
                          What did you do to your shoulder? I could use a shoulder surgery. Maybe I should again be jealous.

Comment

What did you do to your shoulder? I could use a shoulder surgery. Maybe I should again be jealous.
                            Years of sports as well as some injuries skiing. It sort of healed up on its own but kettle bell swings at Crossfit wrecked it again. Officially I'm having surgery to correct some AC joint issues. If there is other stuff messed up (most likely there is) it's getting fixed as well.

Comment

• Just dropped off two of the kids up at Schweitzer with their season passes. We're new to North Idaho and having excellent skiing 9 miles up the hill is a nice benefit of being here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Had fun at the Canyons on Friday. They only had 4 runs open and there were a lot of people for those 4 runs, but the snow was snow and it was opening day. Only lifts running were the Red Pine Gondola, Meadows and Saddleback. I can't wait to get back there when the entire mountain and all the cool lifts are operating. It looks like this storm will do a great deal of good for both the Cottonwood Canyons and Park City resorts. The kids are really excited to head to the back mountains and ski through the tunnels and over the bridges, not to mention the thrill of riding the effervescent Orange Bubble Express! Skiing is probably my favorite outdoor activity (well at least the outdoor activities that I participate in since I had kids and left those wild days of my twenties). From the day school starts I start looking forward to opening day. I am not even real good and yet to venture to the expert runs, I could only imagine how it will get once I arrive at that level.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X