What cereal do you eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank god I'm not alone...

In a quest to find the most popular cereals in the country, Food & Wine investigated Google searches over the last 12 months and found that a lot of people are really “oohing and aahing” over Oreo O’s. After 10 years off store shelves, this cookie-inspired cereal by Post made a comeback in June of last year and has since become the most searched cereal in 14 states. (You can buy them now at Walmart for $4.)

Whether this Post cereal of yesteryear gained popularity for the nostalgia aspect or for its perfected cookie transformation, is hard to say. But Google's data and a whole lot of Tweeters have made their position clear.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• What cereal do you eat?

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
      I picked up some of the Malt-O-Meal brand last week. Just as good as the original, as far as I could tell.
      Last edited by Donuthole; 03-12-2018, 10:45 PM.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        I picked up some of the Malt-O-Meal brand last week. Just as good as the original, as far as I could tell.
        Have that in my pantry right now as well.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• got the name brand and I think they're overrated. probably worth trying malt o meal.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Comment

• Haha.

How do you people eat this crap? You are all going to have adult-onset diabetes.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Haha.

How do you people eat this crap? You are all going to have adult-onset diabetes.
                I love frosted flakes and lucky charms separately, but together was not really as good as I had hoped for.

As for the diabeetus, I hope I will be ok, but it is true that I have not really been very active lately and probably have gained maybe one pound, possibly two.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

What's funny is that science is showing us that oatmeal is pretty much just as bad at causing diabeetus as frosted flakes or lucky charms.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    What's funny is that science is showing us that oatmeal is pretty much just as bad at causing diabeetus as frosted flakes or lucky charms.
                    Would love to see that research.

From the diabetes council: https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/1...akes-to-avoid/

Hands down the best breakfast for diabetics is oatmeal.
                    Of course, you have to avoid that hyper-sweetened instant oatmeal

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/311409.php

People with diabetes should avoid instant oatmeals that are high in sugar or look for the less-processed options. Oatmeal can be a healthy breakfast option, especially when a protein and a healthy fat source are added for balance.
                    FTR: I rarely eat oatmeal for breakfast
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• i assume neither oatmeal or cereal is the best breakfast for diabetics, since they’re both carb bombs. protein only is prob “best”
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        i assume neither oatmeal or cereal is the best breakfast for diabetics, since they’re both carb bombs. protein only is prob “best”
                        Not all carbs are created equal.

Comment

Not all carbs are created equal.
                          but they’re all still carbs
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• My mom forced outmeal down my throat for years. My kids know when I go shopping they'll get a veritable smorgasbord of sugar cereal. I'll be damned if I let the threat of diabetes take away one of my remaining guilty pleasures.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              My mom forced outmeal down my throat for years. My kids know when I go shopping they'll get a veritable smorgasbord of sugar cereal. I'll be damned if I let the threat of diabetes take away one of my remaining guilty pleasures.

Comment

Would love to see that research.

From the diabetes council: https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/1...akes-to-avoid/

Of course, you have to avoid that hyper-sweetened instant oatmeal

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/311409.php

FTR: I rarely eat oatmeal for breakfast
                                Q: “I’m on the go every single day and don’t have time to think about breakfast. What can I have that is quick and okay for my diabetes?”

A: Hands down the best breakfast for diabetics is oatmeal. This is because it is high in fiber and takes a long time to digest keeping you fuller longer. Grab some instant plain oatmeal packets and you can even keep them in your desk at work.

Q: “Is it okay to have bacon and eggs for breakfast?”

A: In moderation, yes. Bacon and eggs by themselves are high in fat and cholesterol. To help move this through your digestive system, make sure you include a food that is high in fiber like; oatmeal, high fiber toast, or fruit
                                Look at the reason it gives for oatmeal being a good breakfast. Essentially it is saying eat oatmeal because it tricks you into feeling full. What's it's not saying is that while a bowl of steel cut oatmeal has 4g of fiber, it also has 27g of carbs. Meanwhile, Lucky Charms has 2.9g fiber and 29g carbs. Those are nearly a wash, nutritionally. Your body doesn't really know the difference between steel cut oats and lucky charms. It's going to make a cortisol dump either way.

Bacon and eggs would be much better for diabetes than oatmeal. Of course, their recommendation is to offset that with some oatmeal. Ingest some carbs to offset the fat. Oh brother. 1994 called and it wants its dietetics back. Remember back when the dept of agriculture recommended the food pyramid (you know, the one that causes diabetes by encouraging 6-11 servings of grains per day). It seemed like a good idea. We now know it isn't. So i''m going to go ahead and take the diabetes council's blog with a grain (pun!) of salt. Some good info there (don't drink juice, smoothies, etc.), but also some very bad info.

Comment

Working...
                                X