Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which are the most awesome Special Forces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the mid eighties one of my friends brother had just gotten out of the service and his was a seal. I don't know what level. My friend played offensive tackle at USU. 6'5" and about 300lbs. We met his brother and I was a bit surprised. Maybe 5'10" and 180. My friend said he use to work him over when they were growing up, but wouldn't even think of it now.

He said some guy earlier in the year got some road rage going at the Fashion Place Mall parking lot. His brother kept trying to back off and tell the guy go cool it. I guess that made the guy madder and he was a big dude. Finally the confrontation broke out into a fight and the big guy ended up in really bad shape. I would have never guessed his brother would be a rough guy. Guess you never know who you could be mouthing off to.

Comment

I voted for Marine Force Recon. The only reason was that I bought a book from a Vietnam Vet at the Washington Monument about his experiences serving as a recon marine. It was a terrific book. He was a native American and served 3 tours filled with crazy recon missions and very close calls. I can't remember the name of the book or the marine who wrote it.

Comment

I only know one guy in any of those options listed. He's Army Special Forces and speaks 3 languages (Arabic, Russian, English). He's awesome, not because he's in the special forces but because he's funnier than DDD.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          I only know one guy in any of those options listed. He's Army Special Forces and speaks 3 languages (Arabic, Russian, English). He's awesome, not because he's in the special forces but because he's funnier than DDD.
          If that is the qualification for awesome, everyone I know is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeUte View Post
            I voted for Marine Force Recon. The only reason was that I bought a book from a Vietnam Vet at the Washington Monument about his experiences serving as a recon marine. It was a terrific book. He was a native American and served 3 tours filled with crazy recon missions and very close calls. I can't remember the name of the book or the marine who wrote it.
            I appreciate you giving the Corps the nod.

They are new to the SOCOM. Force wasn't a part for most of it's existence. Force was on the ships and took it's orders from the big green Marine Corps. The mission of Force Recon in the fleet was much different than what MARSOC is doing now.

SOCOM units are still part of their own branch of the service, but they take their orders from SOCOM.

MARSOC is still suffering growing pains. They are working to find their new place in the world and gaining operational experience with SOCOM.

The Army and Navy have been at this a long time.

It's like all other human endeavors... Specific Lords oversee their own little empires... They battle between themselves both overtly and covertly for political position and power.

I believe the Marines are in a little over their Jarheads at this particular time as the new kid in the neighborhood, with little established kingdom in SOCOM.

The Navy has my vote.
            "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
            -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
            -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/uss-...ring-his-name/

Comment

All these organizations are loaded with highly motivated, prepared, disciplined, highly trained and skilled people.

They all have very difficult selection standards.

They all have slightly different missions assigned.

There is no one set of criteria to differentiate which is the "best" at any given moment.

Each works very hard to be the best they can and they expect the same from those around them.

Human politics and power struggles occur there like they do everywhere.

Established procedures and practices that have been worked out through experience give a big advantage to the team that has the most.

It also doesn't hurt to have the biggest fish in the pond on your side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_T._Olson
                "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
                -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
                -Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

A former Seal named Richard marchinko (sp?) wrote a few books about hypothetical scenarios involving the Seals...

He is a VERY BAD ASS man, the books are great reads, lots of very harsh language so reader beware, but good reads about a elite group of people...
                  Let's get on with the gettin' on....

Comment

The Discovery Channel and the Military Channel have a great series featuring several different special operations units.

These types of shows only give someone a glimpse into the challenge and struggle that is actually involved, but they make it easy to respect the effort that is put out.

The mental commitment required to succeed is incredible.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnu9Q--0vYo&feature=related"]YouTube - Surviving the Cut - US Marine Recon - Part 1[/nomedia]

[YOUTUBE]lnu9Q--0vYo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
                    Last edited by Devildog; 05-07-2011, 12:51 PM. Reason: embedded video
                    -Thucydides

-Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

Working...
                    X