Nearer My God to Thee
    Savior Redeemer of My Soul
    Abide With Me
    More Holiness Give Me
    Lead, Kindly Light
    God Be With You
    Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy

And I never tire of this:

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Focusing on the negative, which is my wont, I agree strongly with the above, esp. the endless I Believe in Christ, which has eight verses that McConkie deviously turned into four by simply bridging pairs of verses together. When it's used as the horribly misnamed "rest hymn" between speakers, I being contemplating my exit from the Church, or at least the meeting, while singing about my faith.
      A special musical number featuring piano, violin, solo, duet, quartet, choir, etc is great. Rest hymns are an abomination and should be abolished.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        A special musical number featuring piano, violin, solo, duet, quartet, choir, etc is great. Rest hymns are an abomination and should be abolished.
        I've always thought the ideal sacrament meeting music schedule is choir one week, a special number another, and an intermediate hymn the other. Five week months could have another musical number or a special choir such as youth, women or men. Wards may be hard pressed to get more than a monthly musical number besides the choir so the intermediate hymn is a nice once a month feature, so long as the music moves along well enough to keep peoples interest and attention. Note the examples used for intermediate hymns in conference.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
          I've always thought the ideal sacrament meeting music schedule is choir one week, a special number another, and an intermediate hymn the other. Five week months could have another musical number or a special choir such as youth, women or men. Wards may be hard pressed to get more than a monthly musical number besides the choir so the intermediate hymn is a nice once a month feature, so long as the music moves along well enough to keep peoples interest and attention. Note the examples used for intermediate hymns in conference.
          I don't think this is adding up the way you'd hoped it would.

Comment

don't think he is counting fast sunday
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
              don't think he is counting fast sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                My favorite is Lead Kindly Light.
                My favorites include:

Lead, Kindly Light

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Lead, Kindly Light
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  Ha, and flystripper is an apostate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Some of us feel the same about the very special performance by the exceptionally talented Ward member. Could we just compromise and make it an hour long meeting instead of 1:10?
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      Some of us feel the same about the very special performance by the exceptionally talented Ward member. Could we just compromise and make it an hour long meeting instead of 1:10?
                      I don't get too bothered by performances from exceptionally talented Ward members. It's the "exceptionally talented" Ward members' performances that annoy me. Simple solution - skip the first 1:10 of the meeting.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Ha, and flystripper is an apostate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        In my defense, I rarely make it to all four meetings each month.

Comment

My ward hasn't had a "rest" hymn in years -- booked out 6 months in advance with musical numbers.

Redeemer of Israel, High on a Mountain Top, and How Firm a Foundation are a few of my faves as long as they are sung at a brisk tempo.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                            My ward hasn't had a "rest" hymn in years -- booked out 6 months in advance with musical numbers.

Comment

My faves:

Primary - My Heavenly Father Loves Me (The essence of life)
                              Smack - Come Thou Oh See See (it was a lot funnier 15 years ago)
                              Sacrament - In Humility Our Savior (I hummed it to myself almost every Sunday while deployed to Bosnia before taking the sacrament)
                              On acoustical guitar - Redeemer of Israel (Jared Coleman could do a mean rendition of this before he quit West Point to go to the BYU and onto NYU law)
                              Christmas - I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day (Uplifting and optimistic)
                              Historical/Cultural - Come Come Ye Saints (I'm Mormon and I'm Proud!)
                              By MoTab - Come Thou Fount
                              David Archuleta - Be Still My Soul
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                                My faves:

Christmas - I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day (Uplifting and optimistic)
                                I love this song.

And depending on the soloist,

"Amazing Grace."

and not exactly a hymn but a quite moving "hymn-like" song, "Hallelujah":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRP8d7hhpoQ
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X