The Official Drought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    And we haven't had too much snow this year.

Utah as a state is currently at 75% normal snowpack. While not great, it is nothing like that 12%.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=149&sid=134181

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
      Utah as a state is currently at 75% normal snowpack. While not great, it is nothing like that 12%.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=149&sid=134181
      Yeah, we are in much better shape than California. However, this is our third dry year in a row and our reservoirs are empty. We are still in for a rough summer.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Yeah, we are in much better shape than California. However, this is our third dry year in a row and our reservoirs are empty. We are still in for a rough summer.
        I remember listening to the KSL greenhouse show last summer and there was a guy on there saying that English style yards (ie grass) in Utah is not sustainable with current climate conditions and population increases. Makes sense. I could see Xeriscaping becoming a necessity as water prices rise. He also said he doubts Vegas exists in a hundred years. I wish I could remember his name.

Comment

In my humble opinion, God is not pleased with California.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
            I remember listening to the KSL greenhouse show last summer and there was a guy on there saying that English style yards (ie grass) in Utah is not sustainable with current climate conditions and population increases. Makes sense. I could see Xeriscaping becoming a necessity as water prices rise. He also said he doubts Vegas exists in a hundred years. I wish I could remember his name.
            It probably won't be just high water costs, water rationing may also become a reality. And rationing is forcing many north Texans to xeriscape. The combination of high growth and drought conditions have put a lot of pressure on the local water supply. It's caused some problems with sports teams that need to practice on grass: soccer, football, baseball/softball. The city won't let them practice on city owned fields because of high maintenance costs so they go to neighborhood parks. They then tear up the turf at the parks because water is rationed with park grass as well. It's not long before everyone is practicing in a dust bowl. My city is in the process of replacing grass on baseball/softball fields with field turf. It's also caused some interesting business developments. Since citizens are forbidden to wash their cars as part of the water rationing program, local car washes are spring up all over the place because they are exempt since they are a business. The local police watch the city-owned soccer fields like a hawk. I was almost ticketed for trespassing while helping my daughter fly a kite when we accidently strayed onto a sacred soccer field.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
              It probably won't be just high water costs, water rationing may also become a reality. And rationing is forcing many north Texans to xeriscape. The combination of high growth and drought conditions have put a lot of pressure on the local water supply. It's caused some problems with sports teams that need to practice on grass: soccer, football, baseball/softball. The city won't let them practice on city owned fields because of high maintenance costs so they go to neighborhood parks. They then tear up the turf at the parks because water is rationed with park grass as well. It's not long before everyone is practicing in a dust bowl. My city is in the process of replacing grass on baseball/softball fields with field turf. It's also caused some interesting business developments. Since citizens are forbidden to wash their cars as part of the water rationing program, local car washes are spring up all over the place because they are exempt since they are a business. The local police watch the city-owned soccer fields like a hawk. I was almost ticketed for trespassing while helping my daughter fly a kite when we accidently strayed onto a sacred soccer field.
              Texas has a double-whammy: decreasing water supplies due to extended drought cycle and everybody wanting to move to Texas.

If you have any kids considering a major in college, tell them that water resource engineering is a growth industry.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

We are approaching what could be a catastrophic summer. California snowpack in the Sierras is 12% of normal. That is unreal. If this holds up, it could be the worst drought in 500 years.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...?entrynum=2624

Hard to imagine all the impacts this will have. At a minimum, it would be devastating to the US ag industry. Expect ridiculous prices on food and lots and lots of forest fires.
                I went to Pismo Beach a few days after Christmas and the drought in the foothills of the Sierras and the Coastal Range was the worst I've ever seen. You're right, it's at catastrophic levels. Probably 90% of our vegetables and nuts come from California. Basically all the tree fruit, except apples and pairs, also come from California. Florida oranges suck ass and that's why they're put in juice. Citrus you actually eat, and not drink, come from California. Then you've got all the grapes which we only get out of California for half the year.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

But in Utah you can't collect rainwater that falls on your property...

The water doesn't belong to you (unless you have water rights).
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Texas has a double-whammy: decreasing water supplies due to extended drought cycle and everybody wanting to move to Texas.

If you have any kids considering a major in college, tell them that water resource engineering is a growth industry.
                    Yeah, I have been trying to tell my daughter that.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                      In my communtiy in north Texas, we are only allowed to water lawns twice a month and on assigned days. The two things my Freshman BYU student mentioned he liked about Utah 1) lush lawns 2) Snow. I think he recently took snow off his list.
                      I didn't realize it was so bad out there now. Here in the city we can water twice a week if we can afford the water.

I have been installing rain barrels to catch and store the water. What falls out of the sky onto my property is mine to keep.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

An article detailing the various impacts to California:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4647529.html

Could be the worst natural disaster to hit California in our lifetimes, in terms of monetary and environmental damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          I didn't realize it was so bad out there now. Here in the city we can water twice a week if we can afford the water.

I have been installing rain barrels to catch and store the water. What falls out of the sky onto my property is mine to keep.
                          rain barrels probably look sweet. Are they in your alley?
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

An article detailing the various impacts to California:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4647529.html

Could be the worst natural disaster to hit California in our lifetimes, in terms of monetary and environmental damage.
                            Isn't there some kind of water supply that is being held up from being used by the environmentalists? I think it is in the Sacramento area or south of there.

I would think the worst droubt in history the humans would take precedence over the fish. I mean, isn't part of evolution survival of the fittest?

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              rain barrels probably look sweet. Are they in your alley?
                              No, the rain barrels are behind hedges. You can't even see them. The trash cans are in the alley.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                                Isn't there some kind of water supply that is being held up from being used by the environmentalists? I think it is in the Sacramento area or south of there.

I would think the worst droubt in history the humans would take precedence over the fish. I mean, isn't part of evolution survival of the fittest?
                                Ha, you silly rational person. There's been a man-made drought for several years now. The feds have been releasing only about 20% of the allotted water to farmers in the central valley in order to protect the endangered Delta Smelt (small trash fish).
                                "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Working...
                                X